Be VERY afraid - Northwest Delta

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by iMacZealot, Apr 15, 2008.

1. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

There's a new monster in the sky... So big, so red, and such a big money and fuel water, I can't sleep.

This monster's name is Northwest Delta.

While it sounds great on paper that airlines are merging together promising more stability and options, I'm worried about the consumer's expense of less competition, and especially if this United-Continental merger happens, too.

What do you think about the new Delta and the future of united states airlines?

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Huh? Did you mean waster instead of water?

I think that they are in a world of hurt right now. Rising fuel prices are just killing them. ATA, Aloha, and one other(can't remember its name) have stopped flying within the last month. Frontier just filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy. Then add management blunders (Southwest and American) and it just isn't a good time for airlines.

3. McGiord, Apr 15, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  4. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I usually refer to Northwest as "Northworst Airlines." Hopefully Delta and their cute flight attendants can put a better face on NWA.

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

You already have American and Continental-United which are independent of Delta Northwest, and you have cheap airlines too, so it doesn't seem to be too much of an issue.

6. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I saw this on CNN last night. They said they would be keeping the name Delta, but man that is one hell of a merger. 75,000 employees. :eek:

7. mags631 Guest

I'm guessing that not all 75,000 will remain employees...

8. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

As long as JetBlue doesn't get eaten up, I'm happy.

I think this has been predicted for some time now: smaller carriers going under or being swallowed up, and mid-to-large size carriers merging.

We're going to be left with a half dozen or so domestic carriers, because that's all the market can bear.

9. iSamurai macrumors 65816

iSamurai

na, they'll keep "Delta" because Delta bought NWA's 3bn or so stock. (Saw this on CNN yesterday/today).

I think they'll cut down some of their employees. But now I'm concerned about monopoly and ticket price, as well as service. I hope they won't sit at the top and just forget about service to the customers. Maintenance would also be an issue for all 800 aeroplanes and the different models they have is vast. Hint: remember AA? I hope they won't cut corners.

10. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

11. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

This is far from a done deal. It has to pass a huge amount of regulatory hurdles yet. It will be months before it's approved, much less executed. I love how the papers always refer to an initial boardroom agreement as if it's all there is to a deal of this size. I give it a better than 50% chance of finalizing, but not much more than that. Too early to tell.

12. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

If it's anything like the last time I flew Delta, they've already forgotten about customer service. Apparently they like to randomly reschedule connecting flights and not let you know until arrive at the airport.

13. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

Supposedly, they've claimed that they won't lay off any employees, though I doubt that the never will.

What I'm worried about is the monopolisation of the possibility of there being only three legacy US carriers: American, Delta, and Continental-United (sounds like they will merge now, too.)

There was some talk of Frontier merging with JetBlue at one point, and I'd love that. I love JetBlue, but they never fly anywhere I want to go. Frontier is based in my backyard, so I fly them a lot, and they're also a great airline. People seem worried about their future, but they're doing fine; their credit card processing company forced Chapter 11 on them somehow.

14. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Skybus.

And the folks that were on Skybus are the worst hit. ATA flights are being picked up by SWA (because of codeshares), Aloha customers are getting a lot of assistance from hotels and United (because of codeshares). Skybus folks are just stuck.

Continental-United hasn't happened yet, and they are both running independently.

Source? All I've seen are reports that "CO should merge with UA or AA" and that "CO and UA are in talks" etc - nothing concrete. As a pretty dedicated CO flyer, I'm a bit concerned about the stench of UA.

15. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

I would gladly pay double the price to fly if my blood pressure didn't go up 20 points at the mere thought of drivng towards an airport. Admittedly the airlines control only a portion of the bp-raising issues but those they do control (overcrowding, excessive scheduling, pricing games, generally poor customer expeirence) would help and those the don't control (shoes, bloodthirsty TSA, liquids, general security theatre bs) they could at least influence ie) lobby controlling agencies for sane rules.

16. ChrisA macrumors G4

It would be worse if the number of airline was reduced because they all went broke. Better to loose them to consolidation. I would not worry to much about a monoploy happenig and prices rising. There will always be a stream of startup airlines. Whenever the profit margins for the airlines look good there will be some startup jumpping in

17. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aY1DgZ2Ljv6o&refer=home
    As a pretty dedicated hostage United customer due to their domination of Denver, I'm hopeful that the hospitality of CO I've been told of will cover over the stench of UA.

18. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Yeah, there have been holes in the system, but by and large I've been very impressed with CO's service. I think they are the last ones on the "meal at mealtime" bandwagon. I haven't been on AA for years, so I can't be sure about them. Sure it is a chicken puck, but better than nothing.

I saw that Bloomberg article, and it really doesn't seem like CO is set on UA. I wouldn't mind a merger with AA. It would kill UA (or force them to low cost status), but I'd be happier.

19. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

To be honest I'm shocked how airlines can even stay above water at all. The government has to give them funding each year else all the airlines would go under. Maintaining an airline company is just too much $$$.

20. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

21. joeshell383 macrumors 6502a

I disagree with most of your post, and the combined airline will be called Delta.

22. theblueone macrumors member

You forgot USAirways. Everyone always forgets USAirways... ;)

23. Eclipse278 macrumors regular

Actually I'd venture to say that you control all of them, or you could through the democratic process.

Eclipse278's easy guide to stress-free airline travel (Some assembly required):

I'll start off with the old fashioned 1.) You get what you pay for

98% of people see all the airlines as equals and goto expedia.com and book the cheapest flight. This forces all airlines to lower prices so that they show up first on those sites. Yay capitalism, right!?

Well to make a profit on the flight, the airline has to sell more tickets and fill the plane, making overcrowding? Maybe you mean overselling the flight? Airlines have to do this because there are always people who don't show up. An empty seat on an airplane costs money which can never be made up. Again, if you paid more for a ticket they wouldn't have as much pressure to sell the seat and you'd be guaranteed a spot.

As far as schedules (and i assume the problem is missing connections). The market demanded more frequent flights, so the market got more frequent flights on smaller jets. Empty 747's don't make money. With more flights mean more missed connections. If you want fewer missed connections, lobby for less choice of departure time on bigger jets. Of course this means you'll have to wake up earlier for that early morning flight or spend 2 days traveling because there aren't enough planes going to your destination, which kinda leads into my next point.

Next point is 2.) Show up early!
    Many many delays with airlines can be attributed to passengers, especially late passengers. When you check baggage it embarks on quite a journey to get to your plane. This takes time and sometimes it doesn't make it on the flight. By giving yourself more time it allows airport operations to go smoother and you won't be in a rush and in a bad mood for security. Then you won't have to vent a bad mood on the poor gate agents who have to listen to people mouth off all day every day.

It also makes me wonder why people think airline pricing is so complex. It really isn't. No seat on the aircraft is really identical to another, so their worth is different. Most people like aisle seats for the leg room, then window seats, then the middle. Also the front of the airplane is quieter so those seats are worth more. Then comes the time at which you buy the ticket. If you buy your ticket the day before the flight and the airplane is almost full, it is worth more. Scarcity at its finest. So buy your tickets with plenty of time or just accept that last minute travel is expensive.

And third and final because I am tired of typing: 3.) You control the TSA!

That's right! It's your government! If you don't like it then you write to your congressman. Get others who share your views to do the same! As a pilot, I've already written to my congressmen about the TSA and the only way to get anything done in america is through voting and economics (choosing where to spend your money, but Walmart is another topic...). So if you don't like taking off your shoes and separating liquids and being talked down to by the TSA then by god elect someone who will do something about it. But it'll cost money to develop technology that will keep you safe and comfortable....and that leads us right back to point #1....

24. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Well the consumer will definitely take the hit for something like this but I sure as hell hope it doesn't somehow cancel out people's air miles. ;)

25. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

I already said I'd be willing to pay more for a better experience. At the moment there's just no way to get a better experience. First class or cattle class, it all sucks.

I totally agree with larger, less frequent flights. I'm not convinced that the market "demands" dozens of departure times per day. If you're traveling far enough away that you're flying then you're going to leave when the plane leaves - even if you have to take a day off of work.

Get there early, fine, but airline pricing *is* insane. Buying a ticket the day before a flight should not cost any more than buying two weeks ahead. An empty seat is an empty seat. If every seat was full then yes I can see the price being bid up but if the plane is leaving with empty seats it seems to me they might want to sell those seats at discount just to get passengers in them. After all, "empty 747's don't make money.", right?

I have. I got a very nice form letter stating that the TSA is protecting us from nasty terrorists who want to destroy our way of life.

Plus there are some morons out there who actually enjoy taking their shoes off and do so happily, just to make sure they're not terrorists themselves. Who knows? That 90 year old nun in a wheelchair could actually be a cleverly disguised al-Qaeda operative and if she's not patted down and run through the naked-machine before letting her on the plane then I just don't feel safe. And if she starts praying before the flight takes off, well, bring out the tasers buck-o!

If politicians were going to do anything about the TSA they would've already. Unfortunately if they ever tried to correct any of the excesses perpetuated by our saviors they'd be excoriated by the opposition for wanting to kill honest, hard-working Americans.