Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Fortune reports that Apple may be close to bringing the Beatles music catalog online exclusively through iTunes.

Other music stores such as MSN and Rhapsody have reportedly courted the Beatles over the years, but with little success. David Munns, head of EMI North America, was recently cited as saying that the Beatles would be available online "soon".

The details of the deal are still being worked out, according to the article:

As Fortune went to press, numerous deal points were still being hammered out. According to a music industry executive apprised of the talks, the parties were discussing how lengthy a window of exclusivity iTunes might get and how many tens of millions of dollars Jobs - who is said to be personally involved in the discussions - will commit to an advance for the band and marketing costs.

If a deal is established, this would be interesting conclusion to a history of legal disputes between Apple Computer and Apple Corps (Beatles company). The most recent outcome favored Apple Computer's use of the Apple logo in association with the iTunes store.

Swarmlord

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2006
Sweet! I have a shortage of my favorite Beatles songs on my iPod. Most of my Beatles CDs had at least one scratch that prevented proper ripping into iTunes.

Apple, you have that fixed in iTunes yet? I'd like to see the Cancel button actually work and also the ability to selectively rip or bypass any one song I want to on my disk.

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
Apple, you have that fixed in iTunes yet? I'd like to see the Cancel button actually work and also the ability to selectively rip or bypass any one song I want to on my disk.

You can do that now. Put in a CD and deselect the check mark to the left for any song you don't want ripped. I do it all the time.

Case-sensitive

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2006
Lets hope they remaster them - the stereo effects on the original versions can be really painful on a pair of headphones.

Swarmlord

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2006
You can do that now. Put in a CD and deselect the check mark to the left for any song you don't want ripped. I do it all the time.

Thanks, I'll try that. I've always had to hit the "burn" button and then select or deselect the songs AFTER the disk was ripped. Of course, I often don't know which song has the scratch until I've tried to rip the whole disk, but at least I'll be able to save the rest of the songs.

b3beater

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2006
Lets hope they remaster them - the stereo effects on the original versions can be really painful on a pair of headphones.

While it can seem weird by todays standards... I think it's great to be able to critically listen to them as originally recorded to see what fantastic work and pioneers they were in the studio arena.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I bet those four people who bought a Zune are going to be pissed! :eek:

Yes, like *this* will push them over the edge. They were doing fine with their clunky rubber-buggy brown players with four-way jog wheels, no PFS support, and installation failures, but when the Beatles aren't available, god will they suffer! :D

I could care less about the Beatles, but if this means the whole "Apple" issue is amicably and finally resolved, then I think it's outstanding. :)

steelfist

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2005
It would be great to have the beatles on itunes this way. although i'm not a fan nor a hippie. :(

Case-sensitive

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2006
While it can seem weird by todays standards... I think it's great to be able to critically listen to them as originally recorded to see what fantastic work and pioneers they were in the studio arena.

Good point, well made. :)

(still freaks my ears out when using headphones mind :D)

eazyway

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2003
remaster

I believe that they have been working on remastering the entire collection for a while now. That would produce a really nice iTunes addition.

archurban

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
it's great news as a fan:)

yesterday I went to local record shop, found Beatles new album 'Love'. total 26 songs on it. sound is great. you'd better get this. for Beatles version of ipod? I must get this as well. sure, it will be beautiful touch screen video ipod with beatlesish color. yam.:D

flanfan

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2006
Ain't that the truth! Anyone actually seen someone using one of these yet?

Actually I have at work. He's a rich kid who owns an iPod as well, but decided to get a Zune because he was "curious." It was a brown one, and (what a surprise) wasn't even being used. It gets more use as a paperweight.

Squonk

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2005
Cue iTunes promo with "Come Together" as the soundtrack! (Or maybe "The Long and Winding Road")

Oh there are soooo many good songs for the promo's:

Ticket to Ride
We can work it out
I want to hold your hand
Let it be
Please please me
You've got to hide your love away
Revolution **** My guess for an early promo!
You never give me your money
Don't pass me by

BRING IT!!! :D

hamholio

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2006

Huh??

For one, they would have to be remixed to fix whatever you find wrong with them.

And then -- I can't figure out what you're talking about. I have no problems listening to any Beatles albums in Stereo. They're perhaps wider stereo soundstages than you'd find today (where albums mostly play the same GD thing out of both channels) -- but that makes them sonically interesting, not unlistenable.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Apple Corps did say that the Beatles tracks would be cleaned up before download releases were made.

The cheesy stereo on some of the early tracks may seem odd to current-day listeners, but on the other hand, mashup hobbyists must love it :)

miketcool

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2003
California
If I recall, the way the Beatles recorded, it was almost overkill. It should be intersting to see if they remaster it to optimize it for compressed digital. Otherwise, I really love listening to every sound that the recordings have picked up as I listen to the fab four on a 30 LP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.