Beats 1 is not for me

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by Scott6666, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

Doesn't seem to be programmed for your average 55 year old white US male.

It's akin to having a car radio with one pushbutton stuck on a station you don't like.

I'm sure this is something Apple could never have foreseen; that people are all not 25 year urban hipsters. Who knew?

I'm sure Eddy Cue and Tim Cook (also middle aged white men) could have noticed they don't like their own single station.

2. tonyr6 macrumors 6502a

tonyr6

So they don't have the great music from the 60's to 80's. It is no show for me then. I hate all the horrible music from today except for Smooth Jazz.

3. MikhailT macrumors 601

Ok, so pick a different radio station (Beats 1 isn't the only station) or stream your own playlist of music you like. Beats 1 is just one station, it will be impossible to please everyone's taste on a single station.

4. DavidLynch macrumors 6502a

Or, you know, maybe Eddy Cue and Tim Cook do like Beats 1 and you're just generalizing a little bit...

5. tonyr6 macrumors 6502a

tonyr6

Wait you mentioned the live station. I will never listen to that crap. I though you meant the on demand music tracks and albums.

6. Scott6666 thread starter macrumors 65816

Scott6666

That's kind of my point. Why the huge fuss over 24-7-worldwide-hand-curated-by-really-cool-people-for-a-single-interest-group?

If there is other stuff, it's not popped up in my iTunes yet. Plus I have to pay for that (after the trial of course)>

7. bozzykid macrumors 68020

It's fine that they offer it but I've never understood why they are making a big deal out of Beats 1. It is a single radio station that can never appeal to everyone. There is nothing really exciting about it. It was clearly created with music labels and artists in mind and not listeners.

8. RossMak macrumors 6502

RossMak

To be honest I don't think they want you to like Beats 1. I think Beats 1 is definitely aimed at the younger crowd.

9. Scarpad macrumors 68000

Scarpad

you mean you can't find any of the other stations appealing ?

10. Scott6666 thread starter macrumors 65816

Scott6666

Could be. But given the only evidence I have for how they dress, speak, act, and where and when they were raised, I'm making an observant guess. They are not the Beats 1 demographic on the face of it.

11. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I'm heading inexorably towards my half century and I've enjoyed listening to Beats 1 today - naturally some of the music isn't what I'd normally listen to but I've heard a lot of stuff I hadn't heard before and would want to listen to again which I guess is the point of a radio station ;).
    I don't think I'll listen to it all day every day, but I'll definitely listen in to it quite often.

12. Scott6666 thread starter macrumors 65816

Scott6666

But how are those stations curated? Equally cool people programming live on a world-wide basis? I did not get that impression from the keynote and subsequent hype-sters.

I do and have listen to Apple Radio. Got my Steve Miller station rocking away now.

13. RossMak macrumors 6502

RossMak

He didn't say that, he just said that he didn't find Beats 1 for him which is fair enough. Why so defensive? Are you Zane Lowe?

14. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Sure, Beats 1 is targeting a single interest group. But one could argue that it's target the single largest interest group. That's why it's called Pop Music. It's popular.

If you don't like it, there are still plenty of other genres available to cater to every taste. The only thing is that it's not live and not curated by a human DJ.

I haven't signed up to see what genres the other live Beats radio stations are, but maybe they'll have something to suit your tastes. You have 90 days to decide if you like it.

15. MikhailT macrumors 601

It's simply marketing a single feature that the largest group of streamers (under 25s) might like, it's to drive these people to Apple Music and more people on it, the more revenue it generates. It's simply a tool to make more money in the end.

1. Beats 1 is free for everyone to tune into, you're not paying for it. Beats 1 is just a single feature in Apple Music that's tailored for a specific group.
    2. The largest market share for streaming music is the under 25s, which is what they are aiming for with Beats 1 and the music they're playing so far, actually fits.

16. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

17. Scott6666 thread starter macrumors 65816

Scott6666

I bet he's listening to the Steve Miller radio station with me (Neil Young / Cinnamon Girl playing).

18. lah macrumors regular

I'm in my early 40's and I'm really digging Beats One. Not as "poppy" as I anticipated. The music played has been all over the place and I've heard some really random songs and some pretty good which I've added to my library. Julie Adenuga's show (UK DJ) is pretty good. And Zane is not bad either. The only hour I haven't enjoyed was the NYC 2-3pm block.

19. Jazwire, Jun 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2015

Jazwire macrumors 6502a

Jazwire

Liking it also.

But I like just about everything.
    My itunes is about as diverse as you get.

Small Sample of the (Better Known) Artists in My Playlists:

Mozart
    Eminem
    Taylor Swift
    Maroon 5
    AC/DC
    Elton John
    Walk the Moon
    Garth Brooks
    Boyz2Men
    Snoop Dogg
    Guns and Roses
    Nirvana
    Green Day
    Metallica
    Frank Sinatra
    2Pac
    Louie Armstrong
    Elvis
    Wiz Khalifa
    Skrillex
    Tim McGraw
    John Coltrane
    Flo Rida
    9 Inch Nails
    Lady Antebellum
    Marvin Gaye
    Prince
    Johnny Cash
    Jason Derulo
    Poison
    Drake

Pretty much unless its Death Metal or Screamer music, I like it. Or at least give it a chance.

I like Beats1 because as I get older, I "explore" music less than I use to, have there been some things played today I wasn't wild about? Ya, but I added a ton of new music that I enjoyed I would of not found before. 6 hours straight of Beats1 and loving it.

20. flur macrumors 68000

Do you really assume that everyone who is the same age, race, and gender as you is exactly like you? Y'all are carbon copies with the same interests and likes? LOL. You seem to have learned very little about humanity in your 55 years.

21. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

Very similar to mine. I find myself far more accepting of much more varied music now in my late 40's than I did in my teens and 20's.

The algorithm seems to be pretty good in about two hours of listening I think I skipped 2 maybe three tracks and that was back at the beginning.

22. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

I agree. I do hope that Beats 1 eventually branches out to several streams that have are more genre focused.

23. g35 macrumors 6502a

Why the huge fuss over 24-7-worldwide-hand-curated-by-really-cool-people-for-a-single-interest-group?

Because those are the people who made Spotify, Pandora, and Songza huge. If Apple had to pick one market to target, that would be it.

24. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

Down for me too. Amusing too because right above the "listen now" button it says "always on".

I bet a whole lotta people at Apple are ******** themselves real hard right now. The engineers must be having crazy anxiety attacks right now.

But seriously tho, this is just growing pains for a brand new service. Overall the rollout and performance has been fantastic.

25. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

Everyone is off work and the service got hammered.