Beats 1 Lead Executive Ian Rogers Leaves Apple

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 28, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple Music senior director and former Beats Music CEO Ian Rogers has resigned from Apple nearly two months after the launch of the streaming music service, the company confirmed to the Financial Times today.

[​IMG]

Rogers was among a group of executives that joined Apple last year when the iPhone maker acquired Beats for $3 billion. Rogers's official title was Senior Director of Apple Music, a position he held since August 2014, according to his LinkedIn profile.

Rogers, who served as Beats Music CEO between January 2013 and August 2014, departed Apple to join an undisclosed "Europe-based company in an unrelated industry" on the west coast. He is credited for hiring Beats 1 DJ Zane Lowe, who worked at BBC Radio 1 from 2002 to 2015.

Beats 1 is a 24/7 streaming radio station built into Apple Music, featuring a mix of the latest music and guest appearances from artists such as Drake, Dr. Dre, The Weeknd, Eminem, Pharrell Williams and others.

Article Link: Beats 1 Lead Executive Ian Rogers Leaves Apple

2. miscend macrumors regular

3. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Ok now when are Jimmy, Trent and Dre leaving so Apple can write off this stupid purchase.

4. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

Apple is full of millionaires. Eventually, most of their older employees will come to realize that retiring or working on what they want to for the rest of their lives is better than taking orders and having a boss.

5. ProjectManager101 Suspended

ProjectManager101

A boss with no direction.

6. McFreggle macrumors 6502a

McFreggle

I don't know this guy but it makes me sad anyway.

I really want Apple Music and Beats 1 to work, and news like this doesn't really help of course...

7. cdm283813 macrumors 6502

1. Because Apple music sucks and he is jumping ship.
    2. He doesn't like working for Apple.
    3. Apple forcing him out because Apple music sucks.
    4. Spend more time with his family.
    5. Found better money working at another job.
    6. Wants to retire for whatever reason.

8. Swampthing Suspended

Swampthing

He'll be all right. Probably has a long career ahead of him. Looks like he's only 15 years old anyway.

9. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Don't really see what's wrong with Beats 1...

11. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Either he got ousted or he resigned out of choice. At any rate, the app/service needs a lot of work with the UI and functionality, so hopefully this'll be a positive thing.

12. Jsameds macrumors 68040

But he looks about 20 o_O

Two months in the role leads me to believe he just wasn't up to the job in one way or the other. The acquisition by Apple probably meant his workload shot through the roof so it's not surprising.

13. needfx macrumors 68040

needfx

14. Alenore macrumors 6502

Or maybe he just didn't agree with the current direction.

15. navaira macrumors 68040

navaira

16. icanhazapple macrumors 6502

I can't listen to Beats 1 most of the time - it's so bad.

17. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

Why is the reaction to stuff like this always, "Because Apple _____ sucks and they're doomed." It can be for 1,000 different reasons. Maybe he was just ready to do something else. Maybe his health is bad. Maybe it's just that Iovine is clearly running Apple Music now and there wasn't room for him. Maybe Apple just wasn't fulfilling for him. If he had done much other than hire Zane Lowe, we probably would have heard a lot more about him by now. The truth is, he came to Apple through an acquisition. Apple doesn't "acquire different". Whenever there's an acquisition, there is fallout, and it's usually within the buyee, not the buyer.

18. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

Why do you say that?

If you're set financially, you do what you want. That's really the goal in life.

And saying that people who work for themselves have no direction is very silly. Working for yourself gives you MORE of a goal than get up, commute to work, get coffee, work on stuff you don't care about, watch clock until you have to go home, commute home.

19. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

Because most Apple haters have a knee-jerk reaction to anything and say it's bad for Apple. If every man, woman and child on the planet bought an Apple Watch, it would STILL be a failure because the Martian market was untapped.

20. Firelock macrumors member

Firelock

Back in the late 90s I knew a guy who had worked for Microsoft since the mid-80s. Not real high up in the company by any means but he cashed out his company stock when he was about 35 and put something like 10 million in the bank, bought a beautiful home in the mountains, and retired. I later read that this was a huge problem for MS and other tech companies particularly before the market crash of 2000. Salaries were essentially meaningless because their stock options had made even low-level employees--if they had been with the company a long time--rich.

21. a0me macrumors 65816

a0me

Born in 1972, so yeah, he must be about 43.

22. bearda macrumors 6502

That's possible, are we sure he's only been in the role for two months? Beats 1 was launched 2 months ago, but presumably they've been working on getting ti ready to launch for a while. If that's the case I wouldn't be surprised if there was some personal or contractual obligation to stick around until after the launch, at which point he was free to go.

23. Kaibelf macrumors 68020

Kaibelf

Lol nothing like a very young person disagreeing with the decisions of a set of seasoned world class execs' vision to make for lame corporate intrigue. He got a new job, in another industry. It happens EVERY day.

24. Ray Brady macrumors 6502

For the record, "undisclosed Europe-based company in an unrelated industry" usually means SPECTRE.

OK, sometimes it's Hydra. But still...