Beats 1 Radio Anchor Ebro Darden Appointed to Leadership Position on Apple Music Team

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Beats 1 radio host Ebro Darden has been appointed as Apple Music's global editorial head of hip-hop and R&B, according to Billboard.

Ebro Darden and Ariana Grande

In this newly designated full-time role, which he starts today, the report claims Darden will "manage a team of hip-hop and R&B editors in developing editorial strategies for artists, albums and song releases" in the United States and abroad.

Darden said his new position is a global one aimed at figuring out ways to serve the communities where hip-hop and R&B music is made:
If we're doing our job, we'll be able to get down at the community level and connect with people to not only help artists service their communities but help those communities thrive. This is a global position as well. So, as we build this out, I'll be doing the same thing I want to do in America in the U.K., Africa, India, Japan, Brazil and other countries. I'll be wherever R&B and hip-hop are being consumed and working to create communication amongst communities around the world through Apple Music -- making sure that black music is getting recognized and developing the next superstars.
Apple Music's global director of editorial, Rachel Newman:
We're excited that Ebro is joining us in a full-time capacity. Having dedicated his life and career to hip-hop, R&B and pop music, he has so much to offer. One of Ebro's most defining characteristics is that he has great ears for where R&B and hip-hop are transcending and evolving to beyond even the borders of the U.S. He'll obviously take a leadership position for us not just in hip-hop and R&B but also in the communities where the music is made, which is also exciting and something unique to Ebro.
Darden will remain based in New York City and he will continue to host his popular show "Ebro in the Morning" on the local HOT 97 radio station on weekday mornings. He will also continue to showcase the latest hip-hop music and news on his Beats 1 show on weekday afternoons, according to the report.

Darden was one of the three original Beats 1 radio anchors alongside Zane Lowe, based in Los Angeles, and Julie Adenuga, based in London.

Article Link: Beats 1 Radio Anchor Ebro Darden Appointed to Leadership Position on Apple Music Team

Reactions: mixxula

cwazytech

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2009
Colorado
There goes that "non-genre specific" promise Tim Cook gave us. Not that they upheld it that much anyway.
[doublepost=1546446450][/doublepost]
Well thank god for that since hip-hop is so egregiously underrepresented on Apple Music.
Sarcasm?

Reactions: Huck

cwazytech

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2009
Colorado
Considering Hip-Hop is currently the most popular and profitable style of music it makes sense that it would get a lot of attention on music services
Fair point, but it already gets so much attention & support. Artists in other genres will suffer, and fans of those artists will lose out on the music they love. Tim Cook promised at launch that Beats1 would be non-genre specific. I feel like he's breaking that promise.

Remy149

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2016
Yes. You launch the AM app, and hip-hop is so over represented it's ridiculous.
It’s the most popular form of music currently yi
Fair point, but it already gets so much attention & support. Artists in other genres will suffer, and fans of those artists will lose out on the music they love. Tim Cook promised at launch that Beats1 would be non-genre specific. I feel like he's breaking that promise.
if you’re already a fan of an artists and listen to their music regularly any new music will be presented in the for you tab. However the new music tab isn’t curated to personal taste and focuses on what’s popular. This is more of a representation for f the current state of the music industry then Apple themselves

cateye

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2011
Considering Hip-Hop is currently the most popular and profitable style of music it makes sense that it would get a lot of attention on music services
Thankfully, there are other music services that balance support of popular music with a broader menu. As a music service not beholden to the limitations of a physical record store should.

That Apple self-limits in this way is very music an “apple” thing and I think speaks to their need, or the need of certain people within Apple, to be seen as “popular,” or aligned with what is popular.

Apple always serves the needs of its brand. Always.

Thenephi

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2015
États-Unis / Estados Unidos
I've discovered some of my favorite new rock and pop tracks on Beats 1. Zane Lowe especially does an excellent job of pulling from many genres; the guy shows regularly that he genuinely knows his stuff from the entire world of music. Even Ebro Darden, whose focus is admittedly on hip hop, celebrates tracks he loves from rock and pop libraries. I just tuned in and it was playing ABBA. Heck, last night I was surprised to hear a Brazilian classic called Canto de Ossanha.

Could they program more country, or classical, or jazz, or Bollywood or Christian? Or rock or pop? Of course. But they're certainly not genre specific.

AlexGraphicD

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2015
New York
And I thought Apple stand for “Think Different”. Meaning, be bold and have the courage to do what is less popular to stand out from the crowd.

Totally mind blowing how people are applauding apple for being a generic, fashionable faceless corporation like the bunch that’s out there.

Reactions: Huck

lunarworks

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Toronto, Canada
I've discovered some of my favorite new rock and pop tracks on Beats 1. Zane Lowe especially does an excellent job of pulling from many genres; the guy shows regularly that he genuinely knows his stuff from the entire world of music. Even Ebro Darden, whose focus is admittedly on hip hop, celebrates tracks he loves from rock and pop libraries. I just tuned in and it was playing ABBA. Heck, last night I was surprised to hear a Brazilian classic called Canto de Ossanha.

Could they program more country, or classical, or jazz, or Bollywood or Christian? Or rock or pop? Of course. But they're certainly not genre specific.
The Soulection Radio takeover on New Year's Day was fantastic.

genovelle

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
And I thought Apple stand for “Think Different”. Meaning, be bold and have the courage to do what is less popular to stand out from the crowd.

Totally mind blowing how people are applauding apple for being a generic, fashionable faceless corporation like the bunch that’s out there.
If there are 3 people who love love love the latest release by the Genuflecting Male Nuns singing Celtic Organ music backwards, should Apple ignore the millions of people who like hip hop and R&B and actually listen to it often in the service because those three people who actually prefer to listen to Vinyl anyway thinks they should?

lunarworks

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Toronto, Canada

You know how to get people to listen to new, different music? You drop it in with music they're already familiar with. People need to nudged out of their comfort zone.

It's funny how people love to attack "hipsters", and then complain about people listening to mainstream music.

Reactions: Websnapx2

confusedpurple

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2018
Think the promise was broken the second it went on air. Beats 1 is essentially exclusively Hip Hop, Rap, RnB, etc.

Great if you like those genres - really really crap if you don't. Same goes for music discovery in general on Apple Music, which is still absolutely awful.

Beats 1 should be representing all genres. Then you have individual stations for genre specific content. On Apples budget they should be broadcasting at least 5-10 live stations with presenters.

Reactions: mikeka and Huck

genovelle

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
You know how to get people to listen to new, different music? You drop it in with music they're already familiar with. People need to nudged out of their comfort zone.
Agreed, but people who actually support other forms of music should encourage expansion by actually listening to it on the service and sharing their listening choices on social media. This would Encouraging artists and companies from those genres to put their music on the service as well. Apple has data from iTunes about who listens to what if turned on. If 5% listen to those genres and far less than frequently and are less likely to signup for AM, why waste the time on it. There are other unprofitable and unsustainable services that can serve them.
[doublepost=1546451164][/doublepost]
Think the promise was broken the second it went on air. Beats 1 is essentially exclusively Hip Hop, Rap, RnB, etc.

Great if you like those genres - really really crap if you don't. Same goes for music discovery in general on Apple Music, which is still absolutely awful.

Beats 1 should be representing all genres. Then you have individual stations for genre specific content. On Apples budget they should be broadcasting at least 5-10 live stations with presenters.
If you take 4 minutes to setup the for me section and get your recommendations from there your discovery should be much better.

Shiro_Simba

Suspended
Sep 28, 2018
London
There is the problem - Apple did not start out to join the most popular , think different was the catch cry.

If you want to think Apple under jobs , think Beatles ;) . Cook - whatever makes the most money .... so hip hop it is .

genovelle

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
There is the problem - Apple did not start out to join the most popular , think different was the catch cry.

If you want to think Apple under jobs , think Beatles ;) . Cook - whatever makes the most money .... so hip hop it is .
In reality iTunes under Jobs was very Intune with HopHop as it became more dominant.

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA

I'm still waiting for my grind, death, and black metal programming.

olduser007

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2017
Let's create ****** products which are extremely overpriced. (and only get more expensive every year so Apple can keep shareholders happy)

Meanwhile someone in the background... "let create a silly radio station and ask money for it!"
Sure why not? They already destroyed what was great about iTunes decades ago.

Only thing I want from Apple nowadays is them making OSX available for all systems (not just their own) and let other companies buy their 'pro' applications cause clearly Apple doesn't care much.

I PAYED 2500,- FOR A 17" MACBOOK PRO 8 YEARS AGO.
Today Apple can offer me a tiny laptop with twice the price tag which can't be upgraded or repaired easily. F that!

Shiro_Simba

Suspended
Sep 28, 2018
London
In reality iTunes under Jobs was very Intune with HopHop as it became more dominant.
I was there for first iTunes implementation, and did not see a major shift until Apple Music / beats.

And I also had great hopes for Beats 1, which turned out worse that BBC radio 1 . Always hoped Apple would go the BBC radio 2 route and not sell out this much to chase the $$$. Now this is my opinion , as someone much older :p

Reactions: Mike Oxard and Huck

Ta0jin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2011
Maryland
So I don't get the problem here. If the people complaining don't like what Apple Music is playing then listen to something else. I'm not especially a huge fan of todays hip hop, but if I tune to a channel that is not playing what I like then I can listen to something else. There are other options. I don't see the need to bring up what Steve Jobs was all about and what Tim Cook is doing wrong...

olduser007

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2017
So I don't get the problem here. If the people complaining don't like what beats 1 is playing then listen to something else. I'm not especially a huge fan of todays hip hop, but if I tune to a channel that is not playing what I like then I can listen to something else, I mean there are other options. I don't see the need to bring up what Steve Jobs was all about and what Tim Cook is doing wrong...
It's very simple. Where's Apple's focus on?

It's not about 'don't like, play something else' but about Apple's way of destroying what was great and nowadays boring if not completely meaningless.

Maybe Steve Jobs just had more balls to be bolt and therefor better products came out of that?