Beats by Dr. Dre

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ItzDomnick, Jan 4, 2011.

1. ItzDomnick macrumors newbie

Do you think beats by Dre are good? I'm into style, but I want good headphones too. I'm not a headphones expert. I listen to almost all genres of music, mostly R&B, rap, but I do listen to everything else. I would like to know if there are other headphones that are good, durable, and look nice. Thank you.

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I checked out a pair at an Apple store. They sounded good, but not any better than a cheaper (say, $50-75 or so) pair. Waste of money, IMO.

3. sk4prez2020 macrumors member

sk4prez2020

RE: Dre's

I want to know what $50-70 headphones this guy is talking about? Because I don't think they exist. BBD's are the best in the world, check my you tube page, I'm in the recording industry, I would know! They are the absolute best! :D

4. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Balderdash. Beats sound okay at best, but they're not even remotely worth their asking price.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

O RLY? You're in the recording industry and call BBD the "best in the world"? Your link tells me that you may be a bit under qualified to make such an assessment.

The headphone aren't worth the money. For that money you can buy so much more. Have you heard of a company called WESC?

6. un.titled macrumors regular

I would much rather have the Bose if I was spending that much on headphones.

7. ayzee macrumors 6502a

ayzee

Beats are definitely way way overpriced. From reading the forums you can get equal or better quality headphones with bass from other brands. After reading many forums and recommendations, I have bought some AUDIO TECHNICA ATH M50 for $100, as an alternative to the dre beats, haven't received them yet but feel I have made a good decision by not getting ripped off price wise

8. jetblk328i macrumors 6502

don't do it. they're fragile, sound bad, and don't do that well with the noise cancellation feature.

As the posted above said, get the Audio-technia m50. Or, if you like bass, look into the sony xb500/xb700.

9. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

They're from Monster, so by definition overpriced by a factor of 10 or so.

10. jetblk328i macrumors 6502

+1, the Monster Turbines are rather good, but too expensive at $200.

11. gman901 macrumors 6502a

I bought mine at Staples for $143 on Black Friday. I really love the headset and find that they are well made and have excellent sound quality (especially the bass). If you like the sound quality, I would recommend them.

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

13. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

They may sound better then other budget (most consumer) headphones, but they are still nothing more then a company purchasing a product from another company, and including an endorsement by Dr. Dre. They may sound good (I haven't tried them) but they are still more gimmick and styling then functionality.

14. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

They are great headphones...
    If they were say half the price!
    Personally, I own the in ear Beats, and the Apple In ear Headphones.
    When the Beats came out they were $169.99. I bought a pair.
    IMO, my Apple In Ear $79.99 ones sound just as good, if not better. Plus, they are softer on the inside of my ears.
    Personally I think both the Apple In-Ear and Beats are good for the upper end consumer (That is, a person that can't stand listening to the $9 headphones you can get at a grocery store and is willing to spend more), but they should be priced around <$60. There is also no way an audiophile should consider buying any of these as well.
    All in all, the Beats are good quality, however are way overpriced due to the fact that they are made by Monster and endorsed by Dr. Dre.

15. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

It depends on what kind of music you listen to. Beats have great bass but really muddy mids. If you listen to rap/hip-hop/whatever they will be great, but anything else will sound terrible.

16. jetblk328i macrumors 6502

I believe that these are the Solos...not sure which particular beats model the OP is looking at but they all have slightly different sound signatures with an exaggerated bass of course.

17. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

lol.

18. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

But there's so much bass!!! That's a good thing.... right?

/S

19. El Cabong macrumors 6502a

Don't laugh. He was in the same club as DJ Jazzy Jeff that one time.

20. thejoshhoward macrumors member

My headphones of choice are the Beyerdynamic DT770. I've been using the same pair for over 5 years. They're clean through all frequencies and have been absolutely great for music listening and for mixing in my home (apartment) studio. I've tried the Beats and many other alternatives but am yet to have found more comfortable or better performing headphones. They look serious, too. Kind of a retro feel to them.

21. Joined:
    May 30, 2010
    This! I have the same pair and cannot recommend them enough! Ahh I love 'em.

OP, do some real research on headphones if you are serious about dropping some decent cash on a pair. I can tell you though that Bose and Beats are not worth your time and money. Also, do you want noise isolating or noise cancelling?

22. darkplanets macrumors 6502a

Beats are a joke, anyone who says otherwise clearly has no real audio taste. I tried a pair of the studio ones on in the store, and it was rather underwhelming.

The same could be said of Bose; I actually have the QC15's (gift), and I can honestly say I wouldn't spend my $300 on them, although they are decent. Mids are solid, bass is lackluster in comparison to some cans but still there (I think it cuts out around 35Hz as well), and highs are decent, but not fantastic. They're honestly better than I expected, and the noise cancellation is the best you're going to get without going IEM, but still, I wouldn't spend the money on them.

As per the purported "expert"... spam harder please.

If you're going to spend $300, at least get a decent pair of cans; Beyerdynamic, Sennheiser, etc.

23. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

If you really want to know about headphones - you should head over to head-fi.org. The community over there will REALLY open your eyes to sound fidelity and quality. Good luck and sorry about your wallet!

24. Jdstew1234 macrumors regular

I had a pair of them and they were great , but I really bought then for the brand. I had a warranty on them and they broke after 3 months. I would not recommend these to you. So many better ones out there. I would recommend sienhiesser (can't spell name right). They have worked for about 8 months for me