Beats by Dre anyone?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by NavySEAL6, Dec 21, 2008.

1. NavySEAL6 macrumors 6502a

Does anyone use either the beats by dre headphones or the new tour beats by dre? I'm thinking about purchasing one or the other, but both are pretty pricey. Does anyone know if theyre worth it compared to other headphones?

2. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

i believe the only good about them and the reason they're so expensive is they are enameled with colorware

3. McShizzel macrumors regular

I heard that the sound quality from the Dre Beats are actually very good but the build quality feels cheap.

4. donga macrumors 6502a

donga

i'm sure you can find better cans for that price. i think part of premium of the price is the "cool" factor.

check out head-fi for more

5. Mr. 18.5 macrumors newbie

im

I'm actually geting these for christmas and have watched about 4-10 reviews and every single one said the sound quality and build quality are absolutly amazing, and that the only problems are it leaks sound so peeps can hear what ur listenin to and the cord is only like 4 feet long

6. gothamm, Dec 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2011

gothamm macrumors 6502a

7. simeezee macrumors member

They are simply the best headphones I ever had. :)

8. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

What other ones have you had?

9. dead goon macrumors member

rocking the Sennheiser HD555's

Good headphones.

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I hear they're more overrated than Bose. That is saying quite a bit.

11. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

I just bought the Beats By Dre yesterday after owning the Sennheiser HD 380 Pro and HD 595. Both of these cost $200-300 depending on where you buy them from. I bought the Beats By Dre for $300cdn taxes in.

So...after hearing about how overpriced, horrible sounding these are what did I think? Well I came to the conclusion that most people that actually downplay these headphones simply haven't owned them. They may have tried it at the Apple Store and automatically assumed that they don't compete with their AKG's, Beyers, or Sennheisers. Audiophiles typically buy headphones and then let them burn in with their setup for 100+ hours, yet for the Beats By Dre, nearly everyone on Head-Fi assumed they were trash.

They were wrong.

I listen to mainly rap music. The Beats deliver lows that you couldn't possibly imagine. I can feel actual levels of the bass and it's not distorted or over exaggerated at all. There is a clear extension and phenomenal detail in the lows. For bass, it's just no competition. My Total Bithead Amp helps the Senns in bass, but it still can't compete with the Beats by Dre, unamped.

In MOST songs, I found the highs to be superior. There were some exceptions in songs where it was more classical type of music, but I found that the vast majority of my songs presented better highs with the Beats By Dre.

Mids? Generally, I found the HD 595's to be superior in this category. The mids are definitely more noticeable and detailed in the 595's over the Beats By Dre. Not to say the Beats By Dre aren't desirable, but they're somewhat inferior to the 595's in terms of mids.

Soundstage: This is the the one place where the Beats By Dre lacked. Because my HD 595's are open ended headphones, there is definitely a wider soundstage present. This isn't anything due to the quality of the Beats By Dre. It's a closed headphones vs. opened one. The soundstage in the open one will always be superior. However, the Beats By Dre did have a similar soundstage as the HD 380's.

Noise cancellation. Many people don't need this, but I find it particularly useful in certain conditions. I've turned them up all the way and hear no "hiss". Even in environments where I'm alone, I still prefer the noise cancellation. The HD 595's are horrible in this sense. I can hear everything! The fan around me, the kids playing outside, my fingers typing on the keyboard, my finger clicking on the mouse. Beats By Dre: Just solely my music being heard.

To conclude, shop around first. Listen to Sennheiser's, AKG's, Grados, Beyerdynamics. They are all excellent options. Don't believe everything you read online. Your ears should be the ultimate icebreaker in your decision. Just make sure you're listening to high bitrate music. Most high end headphones have a tendency to really bring out and make noticeable when a song isn't encoded well.

I've heard that too, and then went out and bought a pair. They're not...

12. sex instructor macrumors newbie

I own a pair of these just bought them today, first off what is up with the annoying clicking sound that they make? it's about driving me insane!

The sound is nice don't get me wrong but I have Bose that cost half it's price and give me the same SQ without the need for batteries. OR the damn clicking! ugggh

Also, IMO these are a tad TOO pretty. The glossy surface looks like crap after a few hours of touching and moving and adjusting. I can see where the scratches will become abundant in a few more weeks of use

....and this clicking!!!! arrrgh!!!:mad:

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

They are not terrible, but definitely not worth $300. Maybe $100.

14. G-Prime macrumors member

15. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

My wife and I are looking for some new headphones and came across the Dr. Dre's at Bestbuy.
    Putting the ridiculous decibel factor aside (there was no volume control on the station???), the sound quality was the best we heard going through the extensive selection there. Put everything to shame we tested them against.
    Now, as far as the price goes, they're too rich for my blood, but if I had some extra cash laying around I wouldn't hesitate picking a pair up.

EDIT: That said, I would really like to test them out on music I listen to, as opposed to store picked tunes. Also, I remember them being very comfortable, not squeezing/pinching my ears or head.

16. ScandaLeX macrumors newbie

I have the Tours and I think they are great!!

I cant give as detailed a review like aaquib did but I can say there were many things in his post that I totally agree with.
    As far as noise cancellation- I hear absolutely nothing other than the music. I don't hear the dog, cat, typing, nothing!! If either of my pets need my attention, they know how to get it. :)
    I also feel the bass in these things is phenomenal!!

I also believe that people who are so quick to down the beats either don't have their own or are going by what others who also don't have them have to say. It only takes one person to say something negative before 100 more climb on the bandwagon.

17. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I'm not sure about climbing on the bandwagon, I recently spent a night with a borrowed pair of the Studios, my thoughts don't change. If I had to buy noise-canceling take these over the Bose in a heartbeat, but compared to some of the other alternatives.

18. imtb macrumors newbie

i do not own a pair, but i have tried them on because friends have them
    i would personally pick bose over the dre's because bose do not leak music
    the sound quality on the dre's is very good, but not worth $300
    the only reason is because of the looks and that dre sponsers them
    i would wait for the dr dre hd solos

19. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I tried a bunch at the Monster booth at CES – none of them were impressive...

20. ajones46 macrumors 6502

21. PreetinderBajwa macrumors regular

Monster - Headphone - Turbines ?

Hi !

Sharing my experience.

I have tried the beat monsters and they are awesome but in some songs feel as if the pitch/mid tones is not crystal clear. But despite that they are very good compared to lot of headphone from "other premium brands".

I was at a shop run by a music lover who had tried every headphone and could find just the right one when you told him what's missing in the set that you are testing... and then he recommended a cheap PC video and voice call looking plasticy seinhisser (sorry for the spelling) which were more expensive, half as good looking but handled the gap in crystal pitch and high frequencies ( like glass shatteing with the perfect notes) It was beats + the missng link ! I was shcoked at the looks of this ugly seinhisser but the sound quality was really great.

I finally tried the Monster Turbines and Turbine Pro's and bought the turbines, wow ! what sound (for my taste).

Turbine Pro were even more awesome but for me the price gap didn't justify the incremental sound improvement between the turbine and turbine pro.

Hope this helps.

22. Kenzembo1 macrumors 6502

Beats Solo

I have a pair of the black Dr. Dre Beats Solo and overall, I'm very satisfied with them. I picked them up for $160 with shipping on Amazon - $20/$30 cheaper than than you'll find in stores. I'm far from what you'd call an audiophile, but I have to say they'll pretty impressive! I don't listen to a lot of rap or hip hop but tested these extensively with bass-heavy music and I was able to hear the music with a much deeper clarity...also, they deliver pretty good highs so they sound good with other genres as well. I wanted something for home use and for travel purposes & something that I can use with my iPhone or macbook. The built-in control talk function is pretty neat and make these headphones even more versatile. Final verdict: for the price alone I give these an 8/10. Not bad :cool:

23. iMacThere4Iam macrumors regular

Pretty Darn Good

I tried a friend's for a day, and really liked the sound. The batteries wear out after about 3 weeks. They are really good quality, no rattles, very sturdy.

24. Kenzembo1 macrumors 6502

Another reason why I like the Solo's over the Studio's...no batteries! :D

25. ajones46 macrumors 6502

Yeah I definitely think the solos will be my next present to myself. Are there any other good sounding headphones with a built in mic that anyone else has used?