Beats by Dre headphones

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by imutter, Apr 1, 2011.

1. imutter macrumors 6502

imutter

My son (10) wants those headphones and I am thinking of the "SOLO HD" pair.
    He is very mature and had an phone since he was 4 years old.
    Now he had iphones since I can remember and never damaged one ( unlike me LOL)
    I was told those haedphones "break" easy? Today again at the Apple store too. (should they not pushing sales?)
    Well if you have some let me know what you think .....

2. radiohed macrumors regular

I have the Beats Solo HD headphones and they are rather fragile, but I handle them carefully. I've read reviews that made the same observation. That being said, they are very nice headphones and sound great. If you do get them for your young son, just be careful as they can crank out some big sound which isn't good for a child's (or anyone's) ears. iPods do have sound limit settings I think.

3. Alonzo84 macrumors 6502a

Alonzo84

You're going to buy your ten year old son a pair of $300 headphones?!:eek:

4. Bluefusion macrumors 6502

Bluefusion

Yeah, please don't do it. Not just because it's unimaginably expensive, but because they're not even good.

5. pogoyoyo macrumors regular

jesus when i was 10 the ipod was just setting waves as the "in" thing to have, even though nobody could afford one... now 10 year old kids have iphones and get 300$ bad headphone gifts... times have changed. The beats are terrible headphones... their treble is so incredibly amplified that you can literally go deaf in a minute at full volume on an iphone. I suggest getting the bose on-ear headphones. Also overpriced (199$ at bestbuy where i live; toronto) but not as bad as the beats. the beats are actually the worst headphones i've ever listened to. The bose on-ear's have amazing low bass, and the high's are very evenly matched with the bass, making a crisp clear sound. And good news, because these headphones provide so much bass, they aren't actually ear deafening at full volume, but are still pretty loud. As for rigidness, they're pretty good they fold, which is pretty neat even though i don't fold mine. i've had mine for about 3 years now and other than my cat chewing through the short cord coming out of the headphone, i've had zero problems, and I am a bit abusive to them at times ie dropping etc.

6. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Go to Target.
    Find a pair of inexpensive headphones.
    Buy those.

There is not a chance in hell that I would buy expensive headphones for a child.

7. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

the beats solo's had a recall. though I don't know if anyone knew. My friend is a dealer and I had just returned a pair that broke.
    took him a month or more to get the replacements because of the recall. Then aI sold the new improved new in the box ones of ebay for 20.00 more then I paid. Wife said they were not that good.

8. imutter thread starter macrumors 6502

imutter

Thank you for all the honest input ... I will check some boss headphones
    I understand some question me spending $ on my child but then they don't know him and our situation. I would not necessary do it for every child...

9. Luph67 macrumors member

Right, you'd just do it for your child. ;)

10. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

skull candy may turn him on more.

11. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

My wife got the Beats and hates them. They fall out all the time, even after she has tried several of the ear piece parts. She exercises with them and just can't stand them. She also tried using them while traveling and reported back much the same impression. These are probably pre-recall too, but she doesn't use them anymore.

She asked me what I use. Hah! The standard newer Apple buds with a foam covering that keeps them in the right position all the time. Sure, others sound 'better', but if they don't stay put, 'better' isn't worth the price is it...

12. FloatingBones, Apr 2, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2011

FloatingBones macrumors 65816

FloatingBones

13. gchhour macrumors member

I have the Solos, regular ones, their not that bad for the money but I would agree that they are some what fragile. Make sure you keep your receipt just incase something does happen. IF something does happen just call Monster they will send you a new pair in exchange for your old ones.

14. atticus18244fsa macrumors 6502

atticus18244fsa

How is your 10 year old child going to benefit at all from these headphones. He won't be able to tell the difference from the any other headphones. Just get him a $50 pair of Sennheisers instead.

15. Potatochobit macrumors regular

for me, a good pair of headphones is very important

if you want to spend 50$, koss makes some good headphones believe it or not
    at a bit over 100$ there is audiotechnica which I have
    over that price you should be going sennheiser or another reputable brand

Bose was good in the 80s. Kind of like sears, their name brand doesnt mean quality like it did in the past. sure they are good, but not great, especially for the price. the Dr dre headphones are decent but you are paying a huge premium for the name.

maybe he would like little 15$ earbuds from sony better, though, and a MP3 player

16. s.hasan546 macrumors 6502

If your ok with the price, the beats are OK. However, the sound leak like crazy. I wanted them compared to bose comforts, they (beats) sounded better for music but the whole airplane can hear your music even at low-medium...

If you buy them get the accidental warranty with Best buy. My friend had his beats break once and the cord broke once too.

I bought Klipsch S4i to use with my touch and iphone. A million times better than the bose in ears and beats in ears.

17. Waffl3s macrumors newbie

18. Sossity macrumors 6502a

try sunggbuds these are good and alot less expensive

http://snuggbuds.com/

these are good quality headphones, they do not fall out, & I have found when using them with my ipod, that I actually turn down the volume compared to my other ear buds, because they produce better sound, I have the red pumpd & they have good base.

19. xMClass macrumors 6502

He's 10? Get some $15 Skull Candy Ink'd earphones from BB or Target. There is no need to drop $100+ on headphones on someone of that age. And stay away from Beats (this applies to anyone looking to get them) they break and the sound quality is garbage. My friend works at Best Buy and their display models had to be replaced more than 5 times in a span of a couple months. With Beats all your paying for is the Brand and nothing more.

20. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

get these

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-XB50...24S2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1302131069&sr=8-1

I recommend the Sony XB500s they sound GREAT and for 1/6th the price of the over-rated Beats Solos.

I have both the XB500's and the XB700s. The 500s have a more exaggerated bass but has muddy mids at low volume levels... but most people would probably listen at 3/4 on their iPods and it sounds fine at that level... if you put on the Bass Reducer setting on your iPod Touch it sounds great at the lower volumes. On a computer they sound much better even at low volumes.

Just my 2 cents.
    skip the Beats though... overpriced trendy crap.

21. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I assume you mean Koss' Portapros... which though sound good are ugly as sin. I do enjoy mine but damn are those things hideous.

22. darkplanets macrumors 6502a

If you're going to spend that kind of money, please, for the love of god, don't get Beats.

Get nice senns, etc. If he likes IEMs, you could go the JH route ;)

Otherwise, just give him a $12 POS. Unless hes a music prodigy, he doesn't need incredibly nice headphones.

23. kepner macrumors 6502

I didn't care for the Beats Solos (the cheaper ones). They hurt my ears. The Beats Studios, however, are infinitely excellent.

24. TMRaven, Apr 6, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2011

TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

I tried both beats studio and beats solo out at the apple store. Even though it was a loud environment, I could tell the nearby skullcandies aviator had considerably more resolution and more balanced bass (tb a bit on the low end of bass) but a far better buy than beats by dre. You can always get aviator if you want your son to have a still very fashionable and highly desired namebrand (among high school kids of course)

If he's into bass, you don't really need to look further than XB500 or XB700. They'll give as much bass while being just as good if not better audio wise and considerably cheaper. They are funky looking though-- look like two hair buns.

Another viable option is the audio technica M50. They run through anything I just mentioned.

You thoroughly trash beats and then recommend a pair of bose headphones? LOL. Also I personally wouldn't say the Beats have amp'd up treble, in fact I'd say their treble is sorta recessed and/or tinny. There are some extremely bright and sparkly cans out there, namely the beyerdynamics and grados.

25. ThomasJL macrumors 6502a

Klipsch's Image ONE stereo headphones are far superior in every way to Beats, and less than half the price. Here's the official Web page for Image ONE:

http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/image-one-overview/

The Image ONE also has "an Apple-based mic and three-button remote for taking calls and controlling music on iPods, iPhones or iPads."

Klipsch is known for creating products that aim to reproduce sound faithfully by not coloring the sound. In other words, Klipsch attempts to create products that allow the listener to hear to hear music exactly as the artist and the mastering engineer intended (provided that the listener's equalizer is set to flat).