Beats by dre solo hd headphones are horrible

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by semin28, Aug 3, 2010.

1. semin28 macrumors regular

For 200 bucks , it doesn't sound that great at all and im really disappointed . But maybe its not the headphones fault that they sound poor . Could it possibly be because the songs arent itunes or amazon store bought ? What setting should my ipod be to get the best results with them ? Im thinking about returning them and just getting headphones half the price

2. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

No your right they sound crappy for the money!! I had them and took them back after two days.

I would recommend you take them back get either the shure se310 or the bose in ear headphones. Seriously these are far better than the dr dre ones and they are cheaper aswell.

3. mzd macrumors 6502a

well, the default import setting in iTunes is either 128kbs AAC or 256kbs AAC (iTunes Plus). if you've been importing at 128, then yeah, it could be the music. if you're importing at 256 then it is the headphones. i haven't listened to them, but from what i've read, they definitely aren't worth the money. you can get so much more sound for $200. if you are serious, check out the head-fi.org forums for reviews. personally, i use these from Audio Technica, about $100 on ebay; $160 local. they fit my needs (closed back, fairly accurate sound for mixing/tracking). but there are a ton of other options.

4. iEnvy macrumors 65816

iEnvy

Everybody's listening experience is going to be different. I got the studios and they sound sound fine to me, but people on the forum are going to recommend good headphone brands anyways. Just make sure all of your songs are high quality though. Don't forget that iPods and iPhones can't compare playing quality to something like a computer.

5. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I don't have them, so I don't know, but they may benefit from a break-in period.

6. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

true it only has so much processing power for the ipod on the phone.

It also depends what quality your tracks are. Personally i have to have everything in either wav or 320kbs mp3 because thats what type of quality you have to have when dj'ing. After a while anything below that can be spotted immediately even if the song is listed as 320kbs they are sometimes transcodes.

I can only suggest the two i did before because that is the 2 best pairs i have owned and i have had about 8 different pairs over the years.

7. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

If you want some real headphones, get the Sennheiser IE7: deep low end, and crystal clear. The Shures are good but IMO not enough highs or bass.

For $250-300 you could get the Shure SE530 (possibly used) which are fantastic.

Also, look at Klipsch headphones (X10 or X5) or any of the Monster Turbine series.

Look at reviews and stuff here: www.head-fi.org.

8. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Yep.

Try the Klipsch S4i.

9. edtorious macrumors 65816

edtorious

people are just buying them for the brand name and brand name doesn't always mean good quality. :rolleyes: Dr. Dre should come out and say he doesn't endorse this product even though his name is on it but then again he's getting paid for this. :rolleyes:

10. Hieu macrumors member

I bought the red HD solos on overstock.com. Ugh it was horrible. I returned it after a week or 2. For some reason, I was able to keep my bing cashback and made $8. lol

11. redlemons macrumors newbie

i have the regular beats by dre solo and i most say i enjoy the very much.i talk on my iphone with them and they sound fine and my music sounds great. i listen to only hiphop music and the red hot chili peppers. i have no complaints.and the have a great warranty service. i have broken them twice and they sent me brand new ones sealed and all. and right now the were on back order with the regular solo. so they offered me any of the solo.white. red hd. or black hd. and i choose the red hd.

12. nd4speed macrumors member

iPods and iPhones don't have the power to fully drive full size cans. For that you need a headphone amp ($$$). It makes more sense to go with in ear monitors. If you can go higher than $200 I'd go with the Shure SE530s. Otherwise Etymotic HF3 or at the lower end of the price range the Klipsch S4 series seems to get rave reviews.

13. essvee macrumors newbie

I have the studios and they pound. Crisp sound, heavy bass.

14. shadowjeff macrumors regular

beats studio hd or w/e that's beats sucks. I demoed them and they are utter crap, don't even bother with BOSE. IF you want stylish earphones i did suggest monster turbine series those are great! Or else you can go for ultimate ears/shure/sennheiser depending on your preferences.

15. essvee macrumors newbie

Monster is behind Beats by dre...

16. kepner macrumors 6502

I just returned my Solos yesterday because they hurt my ears after wearing them for a few hours. I upgraded to the Studios. They're much more comfortable, and they sound great.

17. OnTheZone macrumors regular

just my .02 cents but i used the hd in the store and i own the apple in ear headphones, the hd sounds like crap compared to my year old little apple in ear headphones for $80. But like people say everyones ear are different but i would give the apple headphones a whirl cause you know if they ever blow apple will back them up.

18. fadethreeblack macrumors member

I highly rcommend the Westone 3's or UM3X's. The UM3X is the more precise one, the 3's are more fun to listen to. They're triple drivers, and really sound good.

If you dont want to dish out that much, the Monster Turbine Pro Gold is a very solid option.

19. Brother Esau macrumors 6502

Please....if you are interested in the best possible Audio experience and are a true Audiophile then this is what you want... REAL HEADPHONES

...............................................................................................................................................................^^^^Yes That's A Link^^^^

20. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

I kept my Diddy beats two days and couldn't believe how horrible they were. Get you some Skullcandy Full Metal Jackets. They are the best I have ever owned.

21. gecis macrumors regular

Get the nuforce -ne7m for $50, comes with mic and music control.. These iems will blow dre's and bose's out of the water.

22. shadowjeff macrumors regular

lolol i know... Well i never mentioned that monster sucks...Im just saying that the beats line sucks whereas the turbine series is waay better.

23. makefunnyfaces macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

I've never had any of the Dre collection, but I don't like the Solo HD kind because they're wired, aren't they? I wouldn't pay that much money for wired headphones. I have the JayBird Sportsband that I like a lot. They sound great!

24. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

Holy **** they look awesome!!!:eek::eek:

25. perplex macrumors regular

i have the regular ones that are 300 bucks, and they are quite superb.

i haven't tried the solo hd's yet though, but i have a friend that has them, and he uses them all the time. i haven't heard him complaining about them at all.