Carrier Beats Music

Wide opeN

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia
First of all let me say, that Beats Music allowed me to give Spotify their walking papers today.

This app is ABSOLUTELY fantastic and breath of fresh air from Spotify.

I digress however, as my reason for posting primarily is that of the Family Plan option available to AT&T subscribers. Am I the only one that feels like AT&T locking this feature down is a MAJOR coup for us big blue subscribers!?

$14.99 for unlimited music enjoyment, not to mention my listening sessions not being interrupted anymore by my wife and daughter on Spotify AND carrier billing.

This is definitely trouble for Spotify if you ask me, lol.

Thoughts!?

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I've been using Google Music all access for almost a year now. I signed up right after it came out so I locked in the $7.99 monthly price, but even with the current $9.99 price, it seems like a better deal than $14.99 for Beats Music.

*edit* I just realized that Google says the service can only stream to 1 device at a time, but my wife and I have been using it for months and we've never had an issue.

Last edited:

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
the feature where you don't use carrier data with the app is almost worth the purchase alone.
i didn't know this.. if I'm using AT&T data, it doesn't count towards my 10GB mobile share bucket? do you have a link/FAQ? if not, I'll be googling soon... tia.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
the feature where you don't use carrier data with the app is almost worth the purchase alone.
I'm not sure where you're getting your info, it says this right on the AT&T FAQ:

Do I need a data plan to use Beats Music?
Yes. Beats Music allows you to stream and download music to your smartphone or tablet, so an appropriate data plan is necessary. For example, using the service to stream about 30 songs a day for 15 days in a month would use about 4GB of data. On average, downloading a 4-minute song at 320Kbps (high-quality setting) would consume about 8MB of data.

cammyg123

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2013
United States
Agreed. The offline mode is what swayed me.

----------

I'm not sure where you're getting your info, it says this right on the AT&T FAQ:
You can download the music on to the application. Once downloaded, it shows up in "My playlists" once you activate the "offline mode" slider.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
You can download the music on to the application. Once downloaded, it shows up in "My playlists" once you activate the "offline mode" slider.
You can do that with Google Play and Spotifiy. RDIO as well, I believe. It's not some special feature you can only get with Beats Music.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
You can do that with Google Play and Spotifiy. RDIO as well, I believe. It's not some special feature you can only get with Beats Music.

Correct. But it's cheaper for 2 people. That's why I switched. I had google play for $7.99 for a while but it lacked the catalog of spotify. So far beats has matched spotify as far as catalog is concerned for me. Ymmv. So far so good. We'll see how it goes with more usage.

heyyitssusan

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2014
Target is giving out the 30 day free trial cards. They don't ask for credit card number at all so it's nice. I like it so far. Probably won't pay for it though, but it's a nice change from hearing ads all the time in pandora.

SaintsMac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2009
Michigan
I am trying Beats out as well. I like it so far but the webplayer keeps acting up. Sometimes the music will take forever to load or not play at all.

Are you guys having any such issues?

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I'm not moving to AT&T so I'll just keep rocking with Google Music and Spotify.
Both have served me well.

Wide opeN

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia
I am trying Beats out as well. I like it so far but the webplayer keeps acting up. Sometimes the music will take forever to load or not play at all.

Are you guys having any such issues?
Yeah, same here, but sheesh the app just came out yah know!?

This app is more musically inclined than Spotify on its best day, thus I'm in it for the long haul.

Chocolatemilty

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I fired up the 3 month trial for family plan members and put Beats Music on all four of our iPhones and my iPad. So far, the entire family is loving the service. I am still subscribed to Google Music All-Access, but so far, I haven't used it besides accessing my own library, which I think I'd keep for the free Google Music locker service. I really don't like the iOS app, but I admit I haven't tested what made me angry about the app with All-Access since Google pushed the latest update. Other than that, I think I'll be ditching All-Access. We've all decided to put in an extra $3.74 on our bill since we all pay separately, which comes out cheaper than Google Music for me with a better catalog. We'll see how it materializes until Cinco de Mayo when our trial is over.

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
Like others have said, Spotify has an offline feature so it's not new. However, reading the thread I do agree about the data usage. I know AT&T can differentiate between streaming via Beats Music and other data traffic. If they disregarded the Beats Music data, I would be all for this. Spotify is great but annoying when someone else is listening and you almost get into this "war" until someone eventually loses.

However, if AT&T does include the Beats Music data to your plan what is the incentive for it? Spotify and others would be just as good and cheaper, too.

dmystic1

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2010
Hemet, CA
I fired up the 3 month trial for family plan members and put Beats Music on all four of our iPhones and my iPad. So far, the entire family is loving the service. I am still subscribed to Google Music All-Access, but so far, I haven't used it besides accessing my own library, which I think I'd keep for the free Google Music locker service. I really don't like the iOS app, but I admit I haven't tested what made me angry about the app with All-Access since Google pushed the latest update. Other than that, I think I'll be ditching All-Access. We've all decided to put in an extra $3.74 on our bill since we all pay separately, which comes out cheaper than Google Music for me with a better catalog. We'll see how it materializes until Cinco de Mayo when our trial is over.
So I signed up for the family plan, how do I get each line to have there own login? I don't want everyone using mine. I can't figure it out.

Chocolatemilty

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
So I signed up for the family plan, how do I get each line to have there own login? I don't want everyone using mine. I can't figure it out.

I had everyone put in their phone number online on the Beats Music website, and it sent a code via text. From there, they registered with their own account that was put under the family account. https://account.beatsmusic.com/partner/att