Carrier Beats Music

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Wide opeN, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Wide opeN macrumors 6502

Wide opeN

First of all let me say, that Beats Music allowed me to give Spotify their walking papers today.

This app is ABSOLUTELY fantastic and breath of fresh air from Spotify.

I digress however, as my reason for posting primarily is that of the Family Plan option available to AT&T subscribers. Am I the only one that feels like AT&T locking this feature down is a MAJOR coup for us big blue subscribers!?

$14.99 for unlimited music enjoyment, not to mention my listening sessions not being interrupted anymore by my wife and daughter on Spotify AND carrier billing.

This is definitely trouble for Spotify if you ask me, lol.

Thoughts!?

2. T5BRICK, Feb 14, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2014

T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I've been using Google Music all access for almost a year now. I signed up right after it came out so I locked in the $7.99 monthly price, but even with the current $9.99 price, it seems like a better deal than $14.99 for Beats Music.

*edit* I just realized that Google says the service can only stream to 1 device at a time, but my wife and I have been using it for months and we've never had an issue.

3. co.ag.2005 macrumors 68000

co.ag.2005

not sure if it's a coup, but I ditched spotify for my wife and I and got us the family plan for beats. So far, so good.

4. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

the feature where you don't use carrier data with the app is almost worth the purchase alone.

5. co.ag.2005 macrumors 68000

co.ag.2005

i didn't know this.. if I'm using AT&T data, it doesn't count towards my 10GB mobile share bucket? do you have a link/FAQ? if not, I'll be googling soon... tia.

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I'm not sure where you're getting your info, it says this right on the AT&T FAQ:

7. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

$180 for that much, you could just buy the music. :eek:

8. cammyg123 macrumors regular

cammyg123

Agreed. The offline mode is what swayed me.

----------

You can download the music on to the application. Once downloaded, it shows up in "My playlists" once you activate the "offline mode" slider.

9. co.ag.2005 macrumors 68000

co.ag.2005

Ah. That makes more sense. Thanks.

10. cammyg123 macrumors regular

cammyg123

No problem. It's the most useful part of the app (in my opinion) and it's what swayed my decision to pay. :) :apple:

11. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

You can do that with Google Play and Spotifiy. RDIO as well, I believe. It's not some special feature you can only get with Beats Music.

12. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

Yeah, not really finding a reason to switch from Spotify at all.

13. co.ag.2005 macrumors 68000

co.ag.2005

Correct. But it's cheaper for 2 people. That's why I switched. I had google play for $7.99 for a while but it lacked the catalog of spotify. So far beats has matched spotify as far as catalog is concerned for me. Ymmv. So far so good. We'll see how it goes with more usage.

14. Wide opeN thread starter macrumors 6502

Wide opeN

Did you read the OP!? Perhaps you're a single user!?

Carrier Billing is huge to me too, one less micro-transaction to deal with monthly.

15. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

If they removed the data usage if bite. Otherwise this isn't worth it for my family. Nice to see more options though.

16. heyyitssusan macrumors 65816

Target is giving out the 30 day free trial cards. They don't ask for credit card number at all so it's nice. I like it so far. Probably won't pay for it though, but it's a nice change from hearing ads all the time in pandora.

17. SaintsMac macrumors 6502

I am trying Beats out as well. I like it so far but the webplayer keeps acting up. Sometimes the music will take forever to load or not play at all.

Are you guys having any such issues?

18. AppleRobert macrumors 603

I'm not moving to AT&T so I'll just keep rocking with Google Music and Spotify.
    Both have served me well.

19. Wide opeN thread starter macrumors 6502

Wide opeN

Yeah, same here, but sheesh the app just came out yah know!?

This app is more musically inclined than Spotify on its best day, thus I'm in it for the long haul.

20. Chocolatemilty macrumors 6502a

I fired up the 3 month trial for family plan members and put Beats Music on all four of our iPhones and my iPad. So far, the entire family is loving the service. I am still subscribed to Google Music All-Access, but so far, I haven't used it besides accessing my own library, which I think I'd keep for the free Google Music locker service. I really don't like the iOS app, but I admit I haven't tested what made me angry about the app with All-Access since Google pushed the latest update. Other than that, I think I'll be ditching All-Access. We've all decided to put in an extra $3.74 on our bill since we all pay separately, which comes out cheaper than Google Music for me with a better catalog. We'll see how it materializes until Cinco de Mayo when our trial is over.

21. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Like others have said, Spotify has an offline feature so it's not new. However, reading the thread I do agree about the data usage. I know AT&T can differentiate between streaming via Beats Music and other data traffic. If they disregarded the Beats Music data, I would be all for this. Spotify is great but annoying when someone else is listening and you almost get into this "war" until someone eventually loses.

However, if AT&T does include the Beats Music data to your plan what is the incentive for it? Spotify and others would be just as good and cheaper, too.

22. Wide opeN thread starter macrumors 6502

Wide opeN

I'm lost, did AT&T ever say they would specifically cover the data use for this app!?

23. dmystic1 macrumors regular

So I signed up for the family plan, how do I get each line to have there own login? I don't want everyone using mine. I can't figure it out.

24. Chocolatemilty macrumors 6502a

I had everyone put in their phone number online on the Beats Music website, and it sent a code via text. From there, they registered with their own account that was put under the family account. https://account.beatsmusic.com/partner/att

25. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

They never did. Right on the Beats Music page it says this:

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/beats-music.html