Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's partnership with Major League Soccer (MLS) is expanding with a new agreement that will see Apple's Beats brand become the official consumer audio products partner of MLS. As part of the partnership, Beats will produce exclusive custom headphones for eight MLS clubs, with additional clubs to follow.

beats-mls-custom.jpg

The eight clubs that will initially receive custom Beats headphones include Atlanta United, Columbus Crew, Inter Miami, LAFC, Nashville SC, NYCFC, St. Louis City SC, and Toronto FC, and MLS players will be featured in Beats marketing campaigns through both Beats and MLS.
"For more than a decade, Beats headphones have been chosen by the world's top athletes to help them get game ready and heighten their focus, while also allowing them to show off their style and personality," said Chris Thorne, Beats' CMO. "We are extremely excited to join forces with the MLS, one of the fastest growing and most dynamic sports leagues in the world. Beats will be working closely with the MLS clubs and top players to deliver amazing experiences throughout the upcoming season."
The announcement comes just a few days ahead of the new MLS season which will see Apple TV once again serving as the worldwide home for MLS streaming with MLS Season Pass. MLS Season Pass is available in over 100 countries, with pricing in the U.S. set at $14.99 per month or $99 for the full season. Apple TV+ subscribers receive a discounted price of $12.99 per month or $79 for the full season.

Article Link: Beats Partners With Major League Soccer on New Marketing Campaign

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
The announcement comes just a few days ahead of the new MLS season which will see Apple TV once again serving as the worldwide home for MLS streaming with MLS Season Pass. MLS Season Pass is available in over 100 countries, with pricing in the U.S. set at $14.99 per month or $99 for the full season. Apple TV+ subscribers receive a discounted price of $12.99 per month or $79 for the full season.
Is this like those MacRumors ads for Best Buy sales where you have to pay $49.99/yr for a My Best Buy Plus or $179.99/yr for a My Best Buy Total membership to save $50 off the price of a MacBook? 🤣

roar08

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
MLS.com is for America's largest real estate website, with MLS standard for Multiple Listing Service.

I know what MLS is. I think it's stupid when people repeat the last letter of an acronym like "ATM machine", or in this case "MLS soccer". And just because MLS.com is taken it doesn't mean someone with half a creative brain couldn't have come up with something less inane.

Last edited by a moderator:

Veinticinco

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Europe
Thanks captain obvious. I know what MLS is. I think it's stupid when people repeat the last letter of an acronym like "ATM machine", or in this case "MLS soccer". And just because MLS.com is taken it doesn't mean someone with half a creative brain couldn't have come up with something less inane.
"PIN number" is the one that really annoys me.

robgreene

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2008
I know what MLS is. I think it's stupid when people repeat the last letter of an acronym like "ATM machine", or in this case "MLS soccer". And just because MLS.com is taken it doesn't mean someone with half a creative brain couldn't have come up with something less inane.
What would you have chosen?

And to be fair, your original question was:
Wait, the MLS web site is really mlssoccer.com? Major League Soccer soccer?
This doesn't sound like sarcasm. It sounds like surprise. And given the large number of global users on this site, The likelihood of someone not understanding the nuance of America having multiple large entities with similar initials is high, which means it may not be so "obvious".

Last edited by a moderator:

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
What would you have chosen?
Maybe mls.game, which is available. MLS actually also owns majorleaguesoccer.com, which redirects to mlssoccer.com. Writing it out in full is much better than what they have as their main domain imo.

devinher

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2010
I think this is brilliant. I'm not really a soccer fan but my sense is there's a segment of the population that will LOVE these - particularly if a few of their favorite players are seen wearing them. Sports and identity have always been a powerful combo.

robgreene

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2008
Maybe mls.game, which is available. MLS actually also owns majorleaguesoccer.com, which redirects to mlssoccer.com. Writing it out in full is much better than what they have as their main domain imo.
Fair suggestions. I'll provide a counterargument for each;

MLS.game was not available when the league was formed in '96, and not sure the world's top corporations consider anything other than .com or .org - you definitely see tech startups embracing .io and a variety of other extensions being adopted, but I would imagine MLS would view .game as a bigger hit on their credibility as a league.

Majorleaguesoccer.com would actually be quite appropriate, but the name lengthy and opens itself up to more opportunities for misspellings. Typically, when coming up with website names, less is more.

I'm not arguing for MLSsoccer.com as a great solution. It's unfortunate that the real estate industry beat them to it. I think your most likely scenario is a future league rebrand that includes a name change, thereby jumpstarting a domain name change as well.

Supercyborgninja

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2022
American football is still a pretty old, boring brand but it’ll hopefully get better. Miami will be fun to see but as a Chicagoan, I still can’t watch every match.

Oh and it’s football not soccer, NFL football is a boring blood sport.

• Disagree
Reactions: Tech for Kings

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It's nice to see creative designs rather than Apple's boring conservative styles of late.

But is the Beats hardware improving year after year, or do they continue selling the same hardware for years?

I know there are occasional updates, but seems rare.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.