beats v. bose

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by jedi74, Oct 25, 2012.

1. jedi74 macrumors regular

which is better? i was going to get the beats by dr dre red edition - the one that doesn't use batteries.....is that just as good as bose?

2. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Sound is a highly subjective matter. Listen to both and decide. Many consider both to be overpriced for the performance that you get.

3. eddiec312 macrumors 6502

eddiec312

Sol Republic Tracks HD produce better sound than the beats. Tracks are also durable and have mic/ipod controls.

If you look up reviews, they are always compared to the beats and most agree that the Tracks HD have better sound and cost about $80 less.

4. Wafflausages macrumors 6502

Beats & Bose arent worth what you pay for you can get something way better for the price

5. XboxMySocks, Oct 26, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2012

XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

This is probably the most fair appraisal of the situation. Most audiophiles will tell you both companies are far overpriced for the sound they produce.

I am going to agree with the about the above post from Eddiec312, and say SOL Republic Tracks HD/Ultras ($99 and $179 respectively) both produce much better sound than any of the options above.

6. Wuiffi macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

As said before there are way better brands out there (even for the same money).

But if it's just those to I would take the bose

7. v3rn macrumors regular

Like other's have said, Beat and Bose aren't very good for the money you spend on them. But if you had to choose between the two, go with the Bose. I would rather have a nice looking set of headphones rather than looking like every other tool with ugly Beats around his neck.

8. No Regrets macrumors regular

Can you offer some other options that are "way better for the price"?

9. eddiec312 macrumors 6502

eddiec312

I can offer one. That's what I did on my earlier post. I offered a bang for your buck headphones in the Sol Republic Tracks HD.

If you're looking for over the ear headphones that also has a mic and ipod controls all in one, then the Tracks HD are a cheaper alternative to Beats and according to most reviews have better sound quality.

Youtube has several reviews of the tracks HD and most even compare them to the Beats since they are similar.

10. Mr.C macrumors 601

I agree with the majority. Both Beats and Bose are way over priced and their are far better options. I wouldn't recommend either.

11. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

Beats. Really good bass that most headphones won't match.

12. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

13. shleif macrumors newbie

I've had all kinds of head phones.. For the longest time, I could not fathom spending more than $100 on a set of headphones. I decided a year or so ago to check out the Bose QC-15's. After putting them on in a crowded noisy store and even without music hearing nothing but silence, I decided to get a pair. After using them countless times, I have to say they are by far the best headphones I've ever owned. They have far exceeded my expectations. They sound great, are extrmely comfortable and do an amazing job of cutting out exterior sound. I travel a lot and it's great to be on a plane and not hear anything but the music while not having to crank the sound to drown out ambient noise. Like I said, I could never justify spending that kind of money of a set of headphones.. I am now glad I did.

14. Mr.C macrumors 601

With both Bose and Beats you're paying for the name. Quality wise they're nothing special.

I have a pair of B&W P5's and they're great and worth every penny.

15. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

http://www.headphones.com/

Seriously check it out. Is it a perfect website? Not at all. But it helped me pick some decent IEM's last year instead of the crap most stores sell.

Edit: Then again we are on an Apple fan website so maybe going with the "recognized" brands is the most important part of headphones. :)

16. Mr.C macrumors 601

17. mjpearce023 macrumors 6502

+1

I tried several different pairs of headphones before trying the P5s. They have excellent sound quality. I was surprised because I have never been a huge fan of B&W speakers (I'm a Paradigm man) but I love their headphones. I have to admit I will probably order the over the ear headphones from Paradigm Shift when they come out but so far I'm extremely happy with the P5. They not only sound good but are also very comfortable. I wear glasses and finding a decent over the ear headphone that was comfortable too was not easy.

18. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

19. kyellowness macrumors regular

I won a Beats headphones from a raffle and I gotta say, I really love it~ Maybe cuz I didn't have to pay $250 for them but gotta say, can definitely tell the difference between this and cheap headphones I've been using.

20. tagmisterb macrumors newbie

Why are you limiting yourself to the two worst "premium" headphone brands? beats v. bose sounds like Head-Fi troll bait. Get a pair of Sennheiser, Grado, AKG phones... anything else really.

21. numberforty1 macrumors 6502

numberforty1

22. jukeboxbri macrumors newbie

23. KojiH macrumors 6502

As the others have mentioned head-fi.org and headphones.com are good resources. However the best judge are your own ears. Go to BestBuy where they have a variety on display and listen to them. I've been able to hook up my own iPhone to them underneath and listen to my own music.

Beats and Bose are certainly not a good value in terms of price and probably not the best in terms of audio fidelity.

You can get a pair of Grado's for much less. Even the $22 headphones from Monoprice are more well regarded:
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-57337747-47/how-good-can-$21.59-headphones-be/

I just recently picked up a pair of Phlips Citiscape Uptown headphones for $40 ($150 list) and they sound quite good to me for the money.
    http://www.head-fi.org/t/612677/review-philips-citiscape-uptown-updated-sept-18-2012

Again you need to listen to them on your own and not let others decide for you because everyone has different tastes.

24. geek36 macrumors member

25. MsXbeN macrumors newbie

+1

You would definitely be able to get a very good pair of headphones with that kind of budget. Take a look at Ultrasone, Audio Technica's M50, Shure SRH750DJ, Beyerdynamics or Sennheiser. They walk over Bose and Beats easily and at a good price.