Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Christian Selig, a former Apple intern, has released a beautiful, modern, and fast Reddit client for iOS called Apollo after years of development.

apollo-dark-mode-800x805.jpg

Apollo was created specifically with Apple's official iOS design guidelines in mind, with input from thousands of Reddit users for over two years. The app is very customizable in the Settings tab, where you can select compact or large post sizes, a light or dark theme, modify gestures, and much more.

The dark mode can be enabled manually, scheduled at specific times, or set to activate automatically based on your device's brightness level.

By default, the current gestures include a short swipe from the right side to reply to a post, a long swipe from the right side to save a post, a short swipe from the left side to upvote a post, and a long swipe from the left side to downvote a post. These gestures can be changed to other actions like Hide, Author, and Share.

apollo-reddit-comments-800x805.jpg

One of Apollo's key features is the Jump Bar, which allows for very quick switching between subreddits. When browsing a subreddit, simply tap its name in the top navigation bar to search for and go to another subreddit. A favorites window also appears with a list of any subreddits you have starred.

Apollo also includes an impressive media viewer for viewing, sharing, saving, or copying images, GIFs, videos, albums, and more from a variety of sources. A premium GIF scrubbing feature enables users to slide their fingers across a GIF in the media viewer to go backward or forward in the animation.

apollo-2-800x805.jpg

Apollo includes support for 3D Touch on iPhone 6s and later, Touch ID, and Face ID on iPhone X. The client also supports iPad natively.

Other features include a built-in Markdown composer for writing comments and posts, full in-line Imgur uploading for both images and albums, multiple account support, subreddit grouping, Safari View Controller for browsing articles and links, content filtering and blocking, direct messaging, search, and more.

In an announcement post on Reddit, Selig said he wanted to create a Reddit client that truly felt like an iOS app--not a hybrid, cross-platform one.
I really think an iOS app should look and feel like an iOS app, and an Android app should respect Material Design. I think designing for the middle results in a clunky experience where the potential of both platforms is never realized to the fullest. Apollo is an iOS app period, built to take advantage of iOS features and feel like a beautiful, familiar iOS app. I also think they discontinued Alien Blue without incorporating the best parts of it that people loved the most, such as the minimal, uncluttered UI (Alien Blue was much more compact and concise), as well as powerful features like swipe to collapse comments, full screen, inline previews for links in comments, etc. Apollo has all that and more, because I think it's essential part of browsing on iOS.
The developer also sees it as a suitable replacement for Alien Blue, which Reddit abandoned to focus on its official iOS app early last year.

Apollo is rolling out on the App Store [Direct Link] today as a free download without ads, with an optional $2.99 in-app purchase available to unlock features such as submitting posts, multiple accounts, a customizable app icon and gestures, Touch ID or Face ID authentication, and GIF scrubbing.

Article Link: Beautiful, Modern, and Fast Reddit Client 'Apollo' Launches for iPhone and iPad After Years of Development

Reactions: XTheLancerX

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I'm liking this so far.

Now we can only hope that the developer doesn't sell out like AlienBlue's dev did. Tweetie, Sparrow, AlienBlue... it feels like we can't have awesome apps without a big company buying them out and killing them.

Reactions: max2

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008
I'd like to download the app but Apple doesn't let me purchase applications on my Mac anymore:

SmSYPRt.png

SR71

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
Anyone know if this supports notifications? Any paid/upgrade features?

Notifications are coming, they were there during the beta, but he had to leave it out of the 1.0 release to work out a few kinks. Paid upgrade features in include submitting posts, auto dark mode, multiple accounts, gesture customization, locking with Touch ID/Face ID, and more that I can't think of off the top of my head. The dev is super responsive as well and really takes feedback and feature requests into consideration (a ton of Apollo's features were added by beta testers requesting certain things). Pro is definitely worth buying, especially considering it's only $2.99.

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen
Okay.. downloaded this, looks awesome, but it's not registering an account for me, nor does it remember earlier attempts.. I've been through this twice, and not especially interested in wasting my time a third time without some input as to what the hell is going on.

cabuckn

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2017
United States
Notifications are coming, they were there during the beta, but he had to leave it out of the 1.0 release to work out a few kinks. Paid upgrade features in include submitting posts, auto dark mode, multiple accounts, gesture customization, locking with Touch ID/Face ID, and more that I can't think of off the top of my head. The dev is super responsive as well and really takes feedback and feature requests into consideration (a ton of Apollo's features were added by beta testers requesting certain things). Pro is definitely worth buying, especially considering it's only $2.99.

Cool thank you.

I know the official Reddit app gets a lot of heat (not sure why). I've been 100% fine with it and it does everything I need. The biggest thing for me is having notifications.

ChristianSelig

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2017
Hi! Apollo developer here, I've read MacRumors since before I bought my first iPhone let alone knew I wanted to get into iOS development. This is really an honor of a lifetime for me.

If you fine folk have any questions I can answer, I'd be more than happy to! My subreddit is getting hammered with questions so obviously I'll do my best to do it in a timely manner if there are any. :)
[doublepost=1508788875][/doublepost]
Cool thank you.

I know the official Reddit app gets a lot of heat (not sure why). I've been 100% fine with it and it does everything I need. The biggest thing for me is having notifications.
I totally hear you, I had notifications working in a previous build (and as a bonus they don't notify you three times a day about trending posts) but there were a few bugs I wanted to work out before adding it back in, and I didn't have time before the release. So they'll be there soon. :)

Okay.. downloaded this, looks awesome, but it's not registering an account for me, nor does it remember earlier attempts.. I've been through this twice, and not especially interested in wasting my time a third time without some input as to what the hell is going on.
That's… really odd. Sorry! So are you registering from scratch? I'll definitely look into this and see what I can do, thank you.

cabuckn

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2017
United States
Hi! Apollo developer here, I've read MacRumors since before I bought my first iPhone let alone knew I wanted to get into iOS development. This is really an honor of a lifetime for me.

If you fine folk have any questions I can answer, I'd be more than happy to! My subreddit is getting hammered with questions so obviously I'll do my best to do it in a timely manner if there are any. :)
I totally hear you, I had notifications working in a previous build (and as a bonus they don't notify you three times a day about trending posts) but there were a few bugs I wanted to work out before adding it back in, and I didn't have time before the release. So they'll be there soon. :)

That's… really odd. Sorry! So are you registering from scratch? I'll definitely look into this and see what I can do, thank you.

Well, I'm shocked you found the time to setup and account and reply here. Over a simple post. For that, take my download...or upvote? :)

bwintx

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002

Liking what I see so far on iPhone. Beautiful job, sir. Is the iPad version in beta yet?

MLVC

macrumors demi-god
Apr 30, 2015
Maastricht, The Netherlands

I’m impressed Sir. Job beautifully done. Already got the Pro version to show my support. Bravo!

canadianreader

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2014

I wish you much success with your app!

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Spent a few minutes with it on my iPad. Love it.

Will try for a few more days and the pay my dues :).

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
It does seem pretty speedy and well designed. Narwhal has been great. This may be a replacement.

I used to use Narwhal as well. I didn’t like the design, didn’t comply to iOS at al and it felt sloppy. Also, it liked to crash on me while composing large posts or comments!! With no text recovery feature! Apollo has this!

I also used monochrome and it was better, but generally more buggy (freezes, general inconsistencies and odd, annoying behavior such as horrible formatting) but I dealt with it because the design was nicer.

Apollo came out now and it’s a new world. It blows everything else out of the water. And the developer is incredible too! I’ve been following his subreddit for months and months, I’ve watched the app grow, I’ve suggested features and he always got right back to me about it. Some got added! He’s really fantastic, and for a single dev, this app is phenomenal.

Why can't I see it in the app store on my iPad ?

It’s an iPhone app which supports iPad UI. When searching in the App Store, change it to “iPhone Only” and it should come up.

Direct link is here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/apollo-reddit-client/id979274575?mt=8

Adding official iPad support with a true iPad design (two-pane design with a side bar, etc) is near the top of his priority list, it will happen, don’t worry!!

Anyone know if this supports notifications? Any paid/upgrade features?

Not yet, but it will. Yes, there are paid features, $2.99. Well worth it in my opinion, the reliability of this developer is simply next-level, and it’s a super quality app you’re paying only $3 for.

Paid features include posting, dark mode, Touch ID/passcode unlock, multiple accounts, color choices in app icon, etc. I paid immediately and haven’t regretted it whatsoever.

And you’re going to Settings > Accounts > Sign In and logging in through the Reddit login it loads in Safari View Controller? It worked perfectly for me with multiple accounts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.