Beckham

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by NewMacGirl, Dec 4, 2007.

1. NewMacGirl macrumors regular

Just watched a UKTV documentary on Becks and it followed him from being left out of the England team then when he was recalled (alas too late by the idiot Maclaren so he left it too late for Beckham to help them qualify for Euro 08) and then to his moving to LA. Last wek it was Beckham mania in Sydney and although LA lost he did score a brilliant free kick. The Aussies usually love to hate 'poms' but in general the media loved him. No bad word was heard about him.

Anyway the documentary struck us how level headed and grounded he is. He came over as just a very ordinary bloke who like playing football, he freely admits crying on the plane when Maclaren told him his England career was over. He just seems so so together , not at all pretentious.

Some of those Australian/American idol wannabees have more attitude and ego issues than Beckham who happens to be the most famous human on the planet.Celebs in general can learn a lot from him.

Refreshing!

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I think basically you're probably right, he does seem like a decent enough simple fella. Just a shame about his media whore wife.

4. acxz macrumors regular

I remember seeing a similar documentary about the Becks a while ago (back when he was playing for Real Madrid). He admitted that he wears a new pair of trainers everyday but didn't show off about it and offered the interviewer breakfast just as you and I would. There's always a stereotype of celebrities being completely selfish b'stards but some need to be given credit on how 'normal' they can be despite how much money they have and how much publicity they get.

5. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Only a little?

6. NewMacGirl thread starter macrumors regular

Name one down to earth film star who isn't a prima donna.

In Aus there is the awful Nicole Kidman, Russel Crowe (so I am not being rascist!) anyone could think of US celebs by the score-suffice to say they seem to think they are so so important and special-Anyone seen that Team America-World Police film (the actors wanting to save the world).

No Becks is so so down to earth.

7. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

That's something to show off about? It's disgusting. The last thing I would do with all his money.

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I think Becks is probably a down to Earth guy, and I also think he takes his celebrity status quite well, considering his quiet personality. He probably doesn't want to be famous (like his wife does), and yet he puts up with it, and he does it well.

I don't like him as a player (overrated), I dislike his wife, and I HATE his Mike Tyson-esque voice, but Beckham seems like a decent, harmless man.

9. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

But if you compare him to Hatton then you will see he is not.

And if you compare Hatton/Beckham to Mayweather you will see how much a fool he is.

Edit:
    So he is a ***** whipped wet blanket.

10. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I suspect that the fresh pair of trainers are supplied by his sponsors, Adidas. They'll want him to be pictured wearing a pristine pair of their latest shoes rather than a tatty old pair. ;)

To be fair, from what I've seen of Beckham he doesn't seem to be as up his own backside as some other footballers you see. He generally comes across as a decent enough chap.

11. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

How do you know? Maybe he gives each pair that he has worn once to charity, or at least one of his football academies.

12. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Has the idea that this "documentary" has been financed by the people interested in shaping his media image, and that its script has been meticulously written, and that everything is staged even crossed your mind? :rolleyes:

13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well he's been on the news often lately in Australia, and while Australian media can get quite nasty, nobody had anything bad to say about Becks. I doubt they're all in this evil scheme to make him look good.

Lets face it. You can be famous and a decent, normal person. Why are people so eager to find a flaw in his personality.....because he's famous? He must surely be a bad person ecause he makes more money than you? Get over it. He probably has.

And yes, the thing about his new shoes is likely contractual. He's not exactly the only star to get a new pair of shoes for each game. This has been happening for at least 18 years, when I first started watching sports. Tennis stars, basketball players, and pretty much everyone else worth anything gets new shoes. Even a tennis coach I know gets free new gear by Head. In fact, all his equipment and clothes is paid for. He's not famous, and he's not even a locally well-known tennis player. He's probably a good coach, but the fact that even he can get free gear is still amazing to me.

I'm sure Beckham is also at a level where he's given free gear. ;)

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

No he isn't.

Paul Scholes is much more down to earth. He lives round the corner from me and he goes to the local chippy, goes Tescos, the local pub, restaurant etc. He lives just like we do only with some expensive car (or 3). No media circus round him, no prima donna BS.

15. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

How does less media attention on Scholes make him more down to Earth? If 4 cameras were following Scholes around everywhere he went, would he go down to the local pub, Tescos, etc? Maybe, but probably a lot less often.

And besides, even if Scholes does go down to the local pub and Beckham doesn't, it could be because Becks doesn't really like drinking, or doesn't drink often. I don't know. It's just strange to assume that Scholes is more down to Earth because he's not as famous.

All I'm saying is that for a man who's as famous as Beckham, he doesn't really give off any vibe that he's just pretending to be nice, or pretending to be able to handle things well. There just isn't a lot of non-football, non-wife related things to pick on.

16. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I'm going to finish edesignuk's thought....

Just a shame about his media whore wife...who needs a nice big meal. Only because the papers seem to make it appear as though she's withering. Poor lady.

17. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I once heard Gary Neville described as 'the most down-to-earth multi-millionaire you could ever meet'.

So there you go.

18. iGav macrumors G3

Well you can't exactly be a prima donna with Neville in your name can you? ;)

19. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I just think it's cute that Becks has decided to join MR under the username NewMacGirl. Welcome, Dave.

20. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Nah – it's a UKTV documentary, which suggests that NewMacGirl resides here in the UK. I suspect our new member is none other than Beckham's best mate and down-to-earth millionaire Gary Neville. Welcome, Gary. ;)

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm just going off the times I've met him, been over to his place etc. He's a geniunely nice guy, I don't know if he's as rich as Beckham nor do I care. He's a modest guy and stays out the limelight unlight his media whoring friends (or wives of).

Whereas we have other people nearby, TV people, who are very up their own arses. And even people here who are rich and not a celebrity who are more stuck up than Scholes.

22. B&Wtoon macrumors regular

B&Wtoon

what does that say for his dad who is called Neville Neville – I kid you not!

23. eric55lv Guest

eric55lv

me too but a lot

24. needthephone macrumors 6502a

Firstly Beckham is not over rated, if anything he is under rated.

His record is second to none, Treble with Manu, La Liga with Real Madrid, 99 England Caps, only England palyer to score in 3 successive world cups.

He isn't a striker like Shearer, Rooney or Rinaldo. He comands mid field sets up plays and comands the game like a general. He can lay balls to set up goals on like no one else, which is his real strength . He has no equal when scoring from dead ball positions.

His effect on a game is subtle.

He is regarded as one of the best England players of all time see:

http://www.englandfanzine.co.uk/greatestxi.html

He has one more world cup in him, hopfully under Jose Mourinho , please please please get the special one as England manager after the jocker maclaren.

25. kristiano macrumors regular

I'm not sure if he has one more World Cup in him, but I agree with the rest of what you said.

I never understand the stick that Becks gets because every time he plays, he gives a 100%. I was proud to have him as our number 7 at Old Trafford and I think it's a real pity that England never really did treasure him enough.