Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
how do you become a moderator? do you have to be a demi-god? is there an application to fill out? the internet can be a weird place, and needs people to keep it from getting TOO weird. i'm probably too young to be a mod, but think the site is great and want to help in whatever way possible.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
No. No. And yes.

To become a mod, at most places, you have to have a long, distinguished career of being a useful poster without drawing too much drama on yourself. And then you will be invited by other mods/admin.

One surefire way to never get invited is to make a nuisance of yourself asking to become a mod.. advice should you want to start PMing mods.

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
Yeah I'd be all for it (you being a mod, I mean)... but sometimes the powers that be at MR don't like my ideas... so now that I said I'd be all for it, they'll probably never let you.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Personally, I think you have enough on your plate with PhoenixOS to get into modding too.. that is a neigh-full-time job (with no pay or benefits).

Peyton

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2006
ok seriously, the best way to help MR is to be a member, post, give good advice, and that's it. no magic formula, no need to spend money, or 'apply' for mod jobs. Mods become mods from experience, willingness to be a mod, and by giving good advice.

Give it a couple years, be smart in your posts, you'll be on your way

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
The Gods have a special meeting in a small den at MacWorld and pull names out of a hat. Doctor Q then does some calculations - these are totally unrelated to the decision process, he just likes to do it :p

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Sorry it took me a minute to see this - I was answering all of yellow's PMs. ;)

There is no need to be a demi, although I think most mods were originally contributors because, as yellow mentioned, they tend to look for some longevity, and people who have been here a while and help the site tend to become demis/contributors (not always, but often), so mods tend to be drawn from the demi pool.

The process is invitation-only.

I circumvented the standard route by making a $100,000 donation directly to arn, but I can't promise that will always work. Even with the money, I had to put on a goat suit and record a dance for him. Something about having an embarrassing video of me so I never leak out how he got the funds. Ooops...

Anyway, your enthusiasm is well appreciated if perhaps a bit premature. :)

XIII

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2004
England
edesignuk said:
The Gods have a special meeting in a small den at MacWorld and pull names out of a hat. Doctor Q then some some calculations - these are totally unrelated to the decision process, he just likes to do it :p

An excessive amount of posts and sarcasm will also get you on your way to being a mod. ;)

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2003
PDX
My advice in your quest for mod-dom would be to never post in or associate with the Political Forum. Once you go down that path, forever will it dominate your destiny.

Trust me, moderator isn't spelt P-a-r-i-a-h.

Don't respond directly to this post, lest you be "marked"...

Friendly advice from the Liberal Snakepit™.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
The biggest and most important factor is to make sure none of Mad Jew, Abstract, Shard, or me recommend you for the position. If that happens, you're SOL.

*goes to write PM*

:eek: :eek:

Peyton

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2006
blackfox said:
My advice in your quest for mod-dom would be to never post in or associate with the Political Forum. Once you go down that path, forever will it dominate your destiny.

Trust me, moderator isn't spelt P-a-r-i-a-h.

Don't respond directly to this post, lest you be "marked"...

Friendly advice from the Liberal Snakepit™.

Umm, his own user name is democrat...:confused: I know that is a nuanced title but it might give people the wrong impression.

BTW, no one knows my polticial affiliation either...

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Being a Mod may not be all that it's cracked up to be.I was a "Mod" on the Grateful Dead's conference a few years ago and I got hell from posters..Pure hell..

Now I'm retired..alas...the good life..

I'll leave the moderation to those than can handle it..
It's tough work and my kudos go out to all the MacRumors Mods!!

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
On most forums, you just have to repair permissions with Disk Utility but at MacRumors, you have to repair arn's permission using only a rubber chicken, a mallet and some long beans.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
mad jew said:
On most forums, you just have to repair permissions with Disk Utility but at MacRumors, you have to repair arn's permission using only a rubber chicken, a mallet and some long beans.
How did you know?

*** gets suspicious ***

Are you a stealth mod as well?!?

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Peace said:
Being a Mod may not be all that it's cracked up to be.

After closing a thread where the OP clearly stated that he did not have access to the router, nor was it his, but he wanted to be able to use P2P through the router that he could not get permissions to do so.. a small email battle ensued. I was polite and explained my position, but it finally ended thusly:

Listen, there will come one moment in your life when you will realise that you cannot treat people like this.
You are bad person and I am sorry that I even tried to change something.
I am not satisfied with you answer and with your attitude.
And you wore write in one thing: It is really end of discussion!

I am a bad person. For closing his thread. That was all about how to circumvent security for P2P. How DO I sleep at night?

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
No doy? Oh, snap!

He's just one of those people that needs to get in the last word to feel like they've won. Surprisingly, I didn't ban him. :)

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
jsw said:
I circumvented the standard route by making a $100,000 donation directly to arn, but I can't promise that will always work. Even with the money, I had to put on a goat suit and record a dance for him. Something about having an embarrassing video of me so I never leak out how he got the funds. Ooops...

Thanks for spilling the beans jsw...I would like to see this video if you have a copy... ;) :D :D

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Democrat622 said:
how do you become a moderator? do you have to be a demi-god? is there an application to fill out? the internet can be a weird place, and needs people to keep it from getting TOO weird. i'm probably too young to be a mod, but think the site is great and want to help in whatever way possible.

Become a well-respected member here on MacRumors, contribute to the discussions, get a few more years under your belt, and perhaps one day you will be asked to be a Mod by the powers that be.

For now though, it's a nice gesture, but all you'll receive back from the Mods if you ask them about it is a polite PFO response. ;) :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.