BeeJive In App Store for iPad

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by ECJ, May 19, 2010.

1. ECJ macrumors 6502

ECJ

2. Fireproof! macrumors 6502a

Fireproof!

Was just coming to post this. Glad I searched first!

FINALLY!!

3. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

No reason to pay these guys another $6. I am sticking to x2 and calling it a day.

Glad they are doing something for the users that really needed iPad native.

4. Fireproof! macrumors 6502a

Fireproof!

It's funny people have a problem with paying (another) $6. (in my opinion). That's like one meal at a burger joint. You eat it and it's gone. Or you can pay that same amount for high-res, better functioning Beejive app for the life of the app.

:confused:

But I guess it depends on how much you'd use it. Everyone values things differently.

Of course, for folks that don't have ANYTHING yet, I think the hands-down bargain is $6 for Beejive versus $10 for IM+.

5. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

Love it on the iPhone and hope it's just as good on the iPad.

6. xxRONNIExx macrumors regular

xxRONNIExx

Well my iPad is jailbroken so I just downloaded the iPhone version that I already have and use Fullforce, it works great. I'm not paying twice for the same app which has no new iPad features...

7. mitch969 macrumors newbie

rip off

Some people paid 15$ for the iPhone version so I understand that they were waiting for an universal app like IM+ did. 15$ is a lot for an IM app that still doesn't even work with Skype chat.

I personally bought this app some weeks ago because they wrote on the iTunes description of the app that an iPad version was coming. It sounded like an universal app was coming. In fact it was just a rip off !

8. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

I agree they went about it shady. I contacted them a few times to ask if they app would be universal or stand alone. This is before the sub forum for ipad appeared in their site the other day. I never got a response. Asked the same to intua about beatmaker and got a response quickly. I didn't expect instant but i sent my initial message when ipad first came out. Still no reply.

At any rate i got Beejive for iPhone when it was on sale for $7. Quality is worth it though. Never had an issue that wasn't quickly updated for iPhone so once i read reviews im sure Ill be sold.

9. 4ndr3w macrumors regular

Can anyone confirm that the iPad app uses Push Notifications? The site only talks about email notifications for incoming chats.

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Just curious really, what is the point of an IM/chat app for the iPad if the app won't run in the background. Real curious because I'd like to buy but can't seem to see the need if I have to be in the app the whole time.

11. Fireproof! macrumors 6502a

Fireproof!

Yeah. Unfortunately I was one of ose that paid 15. But that's life of an early adopter.

Yes it works great! Pop up notifications regardless of what I'm doing on the iPad. So it might as well be running in the background because that's what it feels like. And its INSTANT too. I tested it from my wife's desktop and her iPad and in both cases the pop up notifications were really fast, giving me the option to jump into Beejive and respond or just dismiss it and continue with my game or web surfing. Me likey.

See above. The push notifications are pop ups and work quite well. Ever since my wife got her iPad she's been on it more than her computer and I haven't been able to reach her through IM. But now I can. :)

12. Fireproof! macrumors 6502a

Fireproof!

Oh and Jessica - it gives you the option to stay logged in for up to 7 days are various time windows shorter than that.

13. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

it has push notifications and as the iphone app it keeps you logged in while you're away. other then actually running in the background, it functions just about the same or better then if it did.

14. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

The Push works very good w/the App. I'm not sure how it will effect the iPad battery yet but the iPhone battery seems to take the App pretty good. Guess it's too soon to tell with the iPad but I don't expect it to take much juice away.

15. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Ah good to know. It's something I'd consider at $6, never at $15 as it will likely be as I only have about two people who may chat with me in a drunken stupor.

16. smotheredhope macrumors regular

17. a.y.n macrumors regular

a.y.n

+1 on this.

I was waiting to see if Beejive releases a universal app and then decide which IM app to use on the iPad, I've been using IM+ Lite til now. I'm a heavy user of gtalk (multiple google apps accounts) and Skype IM, so would really benefit from the Skype support in IM+, and it's a universal app so I can run it just for pushed Skype on my phone as well. Their Lite version doesn't have Skype support, so they know it's something people are willing to pay for, push timeout is also extremely short on the Lite version.

I paid $15 for Beejive and it's one of my most used apps, I don't really mind paying another $7 or $10 or even $15 for the iPad version, if they add Skype support to it. I really like meta-contacts and addressbook integration in Beejive.

We've all seen the background voip feature of the Skype app on OS4, I'm hoping they will have push on Skype IM in there too. It will be a while til I can run OS4 beta on my iPad, so I guess until then, I am going to purchase IM+.

18. HelloMikee macrumors 6502a

HelloMikee

I don't know how I feel. Loved the iPhone version. Don't mind paying but nothing really changed and it took them this long?! Wallpaper quality is horrendous.

19. khong1010 macrumors member

I just purchased the app. Interface is ok (there are a lot of rooms for improvement). I like the app overall except frequent crashing. :confused:

20. arctic macrumors 6502a

arctic

Bought it and had been using it for an hour. Had been using IM+ universal prior to this. And damn, buyer's remorse. I love IM+'s simplicity and look far better than Beejive. Beejive has it's few pros but IM+ is just better overall, for me. Oh well, I'm glad it wasn't a $15 purchase.

Anybody else who own both give their take?

21. David R macrumors 6502

A little too late. I got tired of waiting for Beejive and I ended up getting IM+ a couple of weeks ago. I'm fine with it even though I hate the stupid fish looking icon.

I've gotten way too used to the built in web browser in IM+ It's lacking a lot of features, I would love to at least see them implement bookmarks or some basic browsing history so that I don't have to retype frequently used URLs, but I love being able to browse and chat without having to switch back and forth.

22. furqan8421 macrumors member

My issue is that things like IM programs cost money in the first place. I know there is a cost involved to developing things for the app store, but on OSX for example there are plenty of great IM apps (like Adium) that are fully featured and free.

I did however pay for the iphone version but won't pay again for the ipad one. Personally I find it quicker to type on the iphone with thumb typing and dont need to have an IM session open on each device I own. Aside from that, the AIM app for the ipad is very good and lets you use facebook chat too. It's fast, and without ads.

23. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

Wow this app is ugly. I hope Meebo comes out with an iPad version.

24. IronLogik macrumors 6502

Who says you should take the money that you'd spend on a burger and spend it instead on software? Why not take that money and keep it in your savings account?

If there are no noticeable differences for you between the iPhone version and the iPad version, minus the interface (and assuming the 2x or 1x version worked fine for your purposes) why should you spend your money on that?

The problem that I see is that you're too consumerist. You spend your money too freely. It is your money, but don't tell people they're cheap because they don't feel that the software is worth it.

This whole "skip starbucks" or "skip a fast food meal" and buy some software instead thing is stupid. Many people don't goto fast food. Myself included. I save my money. I'm not interested in spending it on software just because YOU feel it's a good deal. It needs to be a good deal for me before I consider it.

Just stop with the "skip starbucks" or "skip <something>" crap. It's a wasted effort for no real benefit.

25. Fireproof! macrumors 6502a

Fireproof!

I'm just trying to help the economy...one app purchase at a time. ;)