Been awhile...

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Gamer9430, Feb 4, 2017.

1. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

Where do I start... I'll start off with saying hello. It's been awhile since I've made any posts or new threads. The last time I posted was for the PPC challenge during the first week of January. I'm beginning to see why some of the greats like @Altemose and @PowerMacG4MDD don't come around too often anymore. I started working at a movie theatre (Regal to be exact) back in October. Good thing is, I now have some sort of income, thus I can buy more parts and computers. Down side is, free time is a theory at this point. I'm also a junior in high school, which is a very important year. I have to make sure my grades are great, need to look at colleges, and I need to keep up with my extracurriculars. Besides school stuff, I work on average anywhere from 18-30 hours a week. There are weeks where every night except for one or two days where I'm working 5-11:30PM. Thankfully, I enjoy my job so it's not too much of a burden, but I miss having all the time I used to have to play around with my many Macs. Prior to my job, I had time to play with my Macs, but no money for parts or new ones. Now I have very little time, but sufficient funding to buy more/repair the ones I have. But i guess that's just the way society works and everyone realizes that at some point. I've still been active on my 2 group-chats since most of the people in there have become great friends of mine, and it's nice to talk to people. I'm sure none of you have noticed or cared about my absence, but nevertheless, I'm going to try and get involved again on here. Just looking back, there appears to have been a lot of new stuff in my absence, like updates to the theme, a new store, several new frequenters, and of course a lot of new Macs. Personally, the only new stuff I've gotten in January is 9 new iPhones (2x 2Gs, 4x 3Gs, 3x 3GSes) and 3 Dell desktops (bringing my total to 50 computers altogether). I'm currently working with a fellow forum member and friend on a Mac Pro 1,1 deal. This will be my first working Intel desktop mac, aside from my 2 06 iMacs. We're currently working out shipping and stuff. I can't wait to get it. I'm still waiting on my free SE/30 from my retired-teacher/Mac collector friend (who gave me most of my collection). So besides this, not much has changed in the land of Gamer9430.

Sorry if this post bored you, but figured I'd just say hello and update everyone with what's been going on in my life, not that I expect anyone to give a S... :p

2. eyoungren, Feb 4, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2017

eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I'm just going to use the word 'hobby' here, as what my actual hobby was in September 1987 when I started my junior year, isn't really important - just the fact that I had one.

At that time, I had a car and my dad paid the insurance, gas and maintenance. I drove myself to school and one of my classmates carpooled with me. Keep in mind that school for me was 30 minutes away from the rural no-name town I lived in. Took 10 minutes to get to the freeway (Interstate 10) and 20 minutes from there.

School however, was in a much larger city. It actually had restaurants, comic book shops and shopping malls. And since I had a car, one of those places was, for the most part, my first stop when I left school at 3:30pm.

I had an allowance of $5 per week. Which doesn't seem like much but back in 1987 that $5 would get me two cheeseburgers, a large drink and a large fry at McDonalds with change to spare. So, Fridays were generally the days I used that money. The guy who carpooled with me and I would hit a restaurant then I'd take him home.

If I saved for a few weeks I'd have enough money to hit the comic book shop and a restaurant.

I managed to keep the four hobbies I had going and a social life.

But, this was back when there was no internet, the school I went to was private (and my mom taught there) and again my dad paid all the expenses with the car. At that time I also had no job.

In my senior year it got better because I still had the car but I had a year where I only had to show up for a couple of classes that had me out of school by noon EVERY day. I got a job in November 1988 though because I wanted more money to pursue my hobbies (but I had to be 18).

I bring this up to tell you that it's doable if it's what you really want. You'll find the time around what you have to do (work/school) and what you want to do.

I had my fair share of term papers written the night before they were due and multiple chapters of history books read the night before a major test. I am not advising that, just relating the stupid lengths I often went to so I had the time to play around with my hobbies.

PS. Ask altemose about his iPhone and the lawnmower. ;)

3. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

This thread might be the right place to update my situation, seeing as I've also been otherwise preoccupied and absent for a bit.
    As I mentioned in this thread back in January I was having some heart related problems.
    Short story is I finally succumbed to what they called a "mild" heart attack, (mild my ass!) on the very night Donald Trump was inaugurated. :eek:
    End of story is I was fitted out with 5 heart stents and as of today feel much better, not counting a severely bruised wrist and forearm.
    Anyone else find it totally amazing how they can overhaul a plugged up heart, basically a pump while working from the end of a long small diameter tube inserted in your wrist and fished all the way up into your heart?

4. Gamer9430 thread starter macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

Wow... I see many parallels to my life in this. I have a car too, and I drive every day to school, which is 30 minutes away. My parents pay for necessary maintenance (i.e. Tires, but not speakers) and insurance, while I pay for gas. I never had an allowance, so this feeling of having money outside of birthday/holiday is new to me. I carpool with my friend every day after school, stopping off at either Dunkin Donuts or Panera most of the time. My social time in school is still intact, lucky. I go to a private school too, however, it's an all-boys school (albeit it's the best catholic/private school in the area, same one that has turned out a NBA rookie of the year recently ;) ), so... I don't have any worry that I won't be able to balance everything. More the less at this point it's me trying to figure out how to optimize everything to allow for more time to do certain things. I, too, leave everything for the night before lol.

And yes, I heard the story :p. He told me about it when it happened, was quite comedic!

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I transferred schools in the middle of 10th grade from one private school to the one my mom taught at.

Small schools. The freshmen were not happy with me because they had been intended to be the first graduating class of that school and by act of my transfer it made me and the five other people who came in later the actual first graduating class.

So, yeah, six people in my class. :D

They got to go to Hawaii though, and since my sister was year behind me she got to go with them.

Private Christian schools in the late 80s, early 90s. They lasted until 1991, that school, then got rolled into another school. After that I lost track. I'm Facebook friends with the principal though (from my time there) who was also my Algebra teacher. Only person who could explain it to me in a way I understood.

Math and I have a hate-hate relationship.

6. Gamer9430 thread starter macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

Glad to hear you are getting better! It is indeed amazing how far surgeries, heart repairs, medicine have advanced. No offense, but you're older than most if not all of us, so I'm sure you are completely amazed by the advancements made and how they handle everything today. For someone like me, born in 1999, I'm part of the generation that has had most of these advancements around my whole life. But regardless, it's amazing to hear and see what doctors are capable of. I know on a personal note... my cousin who is 13 has severe CP, disabling most of his motor skills. This was caused by neglect by the hospital. The hospital cut off his oxygen supply at birth accidentally, but because of this, his entire life has been changed. Anyway, last year was nearly the end... he became sick with a common cold, which became extremely severe. It became so bad he could no longer breath on his own. He was in the hospital for over a month. One night... one night turned everything around. On that night, he gripped onto life by a single thread. It took a miracle by the doctors and surgeons to keep him alive. From that night onward, his health steadily increased back to some sense of normality for him. Point of this story, it's amazing how for medical research has come to the point of saving his life in one night. Was it necessary to write all this to make a point? Probabaly not!

7. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

No offense taken, anybody else over 80, stand up, (if you still can). :D

8. RhianB, Feb 4, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2017

RhianB macrumors 6502

RhianB

I landed a new job that I start Monday (Executive chef @ a local kitchen & bakery that is part of a organic & natural statewide co-op) so I'm excited to get in there & meet my team. What else - Uhhh ... I got a MDD recently & I'm going to pick up a dual 1Ghz CPU & GPU for said MDD from Ben pretty soon which I think will kick that box up a notch or two. My wife got a killer promotion at work and we're expecting our first kiddo in August. I still need to decorate/redo the guest bedroom with baby stuff, a ceiling fan, & drop in a laminate floor etc. Umm, that's about it so far. I'd love to squeeze a trip out to Cincinnati (my hometown) but I dunno exactly where/when/how that will fit in especially with the new job, promotion, a bambino on the way etc. Anyhow, life is great.

I'm glad we're all doing well. :)

Despite all of the horror stories of the LCS quadcore PPCs, I still want one lol. Can't help it. Irrational desire I guess or maybe it's that they're the fastest PPCs out there. If I can find one for a decent price, I'll pick one up this year.