Been JB'ing from day 1...not no mo!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by fuzion11, Jun 15, 2012.

1. fuzion11 macrumors 65816

fuzion11

I've been a true blue JB'er since day one...Over the weekend I decided to revert back to a vanilla phone. I kinda miss SBSettings, barrel and Bitesms...but that's about it, I can learn to live without them and the rest of the tweaks/mods.

I can't tell you how excited I am when the new firmware comes out that I can just update OTA or update via iTunes and then hit the "restore from backup" button, as it was always safer to restore from new when JB a new firmware. It would take me hours to set my phone up the way I liked it.

Now that I can use facetime over 3g, have notification center that's a huge bonus...I do kinda miss Cydia, but I'm sure I'll get over it.

Has anyone else decided to give up JB'ing from being a day 1er?

2. labman macrumors 604

labman

2nd that nope I'll most likely leave Apple when If they make IOS hack proof! besides where do you think Apple gets some of there best ideas from?

3. nwmtnbiker macrumors 68000

nwmtnbiker

Only time I've given up Cydia is when a new iPhone came out. Positive it won't happen this time around... I can give up Winterboard, SBSettings but would be very hard to give up Openssh, bite or springtomize. We might not always have the jailbreak option in the future so I plan on taking full advantage of it now:D

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Hell no.
    I will always JB.
    But if you're happy stock then good for you.

5. B737, Jun 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2012

B737 macrumors 6502a

B737

i havent jailbroken since apple finally allowed us to customize txt tones... since then ive stopped JBing completely. i have to say using a stock iphone was nice. i was enjoying not spending any extra time with my phone... the stock battery seemed optimized too... there wasnt much i missed. i got over not having SBSettings in a month or two...

BUT, here i am, all these months (year?) later and im back here to jailbreak just cause im bored today :)

btw, the absinthe jb ran great! kudos

6. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

I was jailbroken for 4+ years and went back to stock for a year or so as I couldn't be arsed scanning Cydia for tweaks, following devs on twitter. I missed BiteSMS and LockInfo so much that I decided to give it another go with Rocky Raccoon, lag is terrible. Hate it.

Who's 1st to say cool story bro

7. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Then something is wrong. Did you install a ton of tweaks? Winterboard?

8. nwmtnbiker macrumors 68000

nwmtnbiker

Are you on a 4s?

9. TL24 macrumors 6502a

TL24

No lag here.............

Come at me bro!!!

10. SurferMan macrumors 65816

Way to many good apps that are common sense and make iOS more efficient and better to use with jailbreaking.

11. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Only been JB for about a year and part of that time I was not. I must say that I miss bite the most. I have stopped using winterboard though and my batt life and overall performance is better.

12. tivoboy macrumors 68030

best option

What is the best option to jailbreak 5.1, 3GS. I have it already unlocked from AT&T, but want to have some more functions, hotspot internationally, etc. Absinthe? Greenpoison? Etc?

13. AppleVag macrumors newbie

A friend of mine keeps insisting I need to JB my phone, telling me how I can't live without and how my phone will be so much better JB, is it really all it's hyped up to be? I've sen a couple threads here within 2 mins of joining where people are going back to stock.

It's a 4S

14. dlmart2 macrumors 6502a

I'll update to iOS 6 as I have full trust the dev team will deliver a jailbreak for it in a reasonable amount of time. I can only do without my jailbreak for a brief period.

15. Balibalistic macrumors regular

Jailbreak opens up a world of awesomeness. lets you use a real iphone :) your friend is a very smart guy. i would listen to him, vag.

:D

16. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

Agreed. I recommend activator, sbsettings or ncsettings, bitesms (which replaces the native messaging app and allows for quick compose and quick rely text messages so you don't have to leave whatever app you might be using), lockinfo, and various notification center addons. Protube replaces the native YouTube app and allows for so many additional features that the native all does not give you. Man I could go on. F.lux! PandoraSkips! Haha so many things you can do. Do some searching on this forum for very recent threads about the most popular jailbreak tweaks. Search google and YouTube too. You'll find tons of stuff. I recommend searching for "top 10" lists or "must have" topics like that to get you started on what to install.

If in the end you don't like these added features of awesomeness (totally subjective opinion) you can always plug your phone into iTunes and restore back to stock. Apple, and anyone else for that matter, will never know your device was jailbroken.

Last bit of advice. Always make sure what you are doing is compatible with your phone, read and research before you do anything, and ask lots of questions. I'm always here to help and so are a million other forum members! Good luck and have fun!

17. AppleVag macrumors newbie

Well sometimes this guy can be a little out there and not always give the best advice, I try to humour him the best I can ;)

Thanks for the info, I'm going to take a look around the forum and do some research.

18. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

It's definitely all it's hyped up to be and more! Also have a look at IntelliScreenX, Springtomize 2, Open Notifier, Zephyr

19. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

I used to think the iPhone was nothing but a glorified iPod touch and I have one of those, which I could never imagine trying to use as a phone in stock condition. So I actually got android first when looking for a phone that could be "smart". I was happy until the whole thing got unstable and was basically unusable as a phone because of crashes and constant data loss..

I did not care for the iPhone 4 but I knew it would be at least dependable, being an Apple customer since 1998 I know I can depend on their products to just work, see.

But when I looked into the jailbreak world.. and then jailbreakme.com came along where I didn't even have to know what I was doing to have Cydia installed and begin this wonderful love affair with my first truly smart phone / mini workstation / iPod / camera etc... I can't imagine using my iPhone in any other condition besides jailbroken.

But that said, when my two year renewal comes up and the iPhone 5 is available, I just might upgrade and take my chances that a jailbreak of iOS 6 will never occur. They have added a lot of the great things formerly reserved to the jailbreaking community to the standard OS and it's about time!!! Who knows I just might like iOS 6 as it is. lol

20. ipsychedelic macrumors 6502a

ipsychedelic

Cool story brah....

Neeh seriously. Cool story.

If you can live without JB, the better.

As for me, unless iOS 8 has 95% of the feature JB gives me, maybe I'll reconsider.
    But then no access via SSH and stuff... I can't live without that.

I mean, I used to be your average hacker guy at college, nowadays I just like things that "just work" (that's why I almost ditched Slackware, I ditched Android and ditched Windows), BUT I won't go THAT far as using vanilla iOS :D

21. marc11 macrumors 68000

Yeah until next year when Apple releases functions that they claim cannot work on your then outdated iPhone but seemingly work just fine Via a jailbreaked app. Like FaceTime over 3G or a host of others.

So, buy a new phone every year or two to get some new features but far from the freedom to customize you want or JB and enjoy your phone to its fullest and more for as long as you like, hmmmmm?

Yeah it can be a pita but to be honest what is in IOS 6 that you cannot get today via a JB app and more?

22. HickDead macrumors 6502a

HickDead

Honestly, I'm very bored with JB right now. The "novelty" wears out very quickly.

The ONLY Jailbreak app that I would truly miss/need if I were to go to stock would be iBlacklist. Everything else I can do without.

IF I was given one choice and only ONE choice of either iOS 6 (final release) or JB 5.1.1.....I would go with stock iOS 6 w/o any hesitation.

JMO.

23. utahman130 macrumors 6502a

utahman130

Jailbroke for a long time with my iPod touch 2nd gen, iPhone 3GS, and iPad 1. But the 5.1.1 untethered jailbreak lagged so bad (only two Winterboard tweaks installed!) that I decided to restore to 5.1.1 stock. Now I got iOS 6 beta :) and even though it doesn't have a lot of things in iOS 6 (as it is a 3GS) it is way less buggy than jailbreak.

I will miss a lot of things from the jailbreak, but it wasn't meant for my 5.1.1 3GS or 5.1.1 iPad (got stuck in a respring loop installing SiriPort).

24. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Jailbreak FTW. Why would I wanna go back to stock? Makes no sense too me.