Been to Apple 5 times for battery issues, what does it take to get a replacement?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AndrewR23, Apr 26, 2011.

1. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

2. anonymouse99 macrumors regular

If you meant Apple Store, I would get a hold of their weekday manager, and politely explain this issue. If this is a 2011 MBP, I'm not sure why you're having so much trouble. They should swap out a new one quickly?

3. neondrgns macrumors regular

neondrgns

looks like he has a macbook pro june 2009 model
    so the answer is, you will never get a battery replacement, its not covered under warranty for general use

4. leman macrumors 604

What kind of battery, what kind of issue?

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you have AppleCare they will replace your battery if the health is below 80% or if you have other power issues.

If you don't have warranty, you'd need to prove there was a problem when you did have warranty, but Apple failed to fix it.

And if I read everything wrong, and you want a replacement computer—unless your battery was replaced five times, there is no chance they will replace the machine.

6. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

Sorry it was late and I just threw this out. It is a June 2009 model . The health is at 90% but it's really bad. I know they won't replace the computer, I just want the battery replaced and I have Applecare until June 25th.

7. FOX160 macrumors regular

OK without sounding rude but what is wrong the laptop not charging?

8. Blipp macrumors 6502

Give us a more detailed explanation of you problem and maybe we can determine why they're opting to not replace your battery.

9. neondrgns macrumors regular

neondrgns

http://www.apple.com/batteries/replacements.html

warranty is clear
    his battery is at 90%, its not defective
    its just an old battery
    therefore no replacement
    hes just upset hes not getting a replacement for free cause he bought a used laptop

10. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Things may have changed since my experience in getting a battery replaced, but Apple will only replace the battery if it is clear that the battery is defective. If the health has run down because you've charged and depleted it too many times, you'll have to pay a replacement fee.

Back in the "user replaceable" battery days, I know the genius bar ran a diagnostic test to determine if the battery was defective. So just take it in and see what happens.

11. ZombieZakk macrumors 6502

what sort of battery life are you getting?

what are the issues?

and what is apple saying when you go into them to get it replaced? if its a june 2009 model your apple care should not be up in june shouldn't it extend it to 3 years coverage? and make it next june?

12. HBOC macrumors 68020

On my old MBP, my battery health was at like 74% and had like 180ish cycles. The battery was a tad over 2 years old, and Apple replaced it. There are replacement guidelines.

I believe for the 'Classic' early 08's, the guideline was 300 cycles and at that point the battery health should be 80%. Apple wouldn't touch it when I had 150 cycles and the battery health was at like 84%...

13. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

You dont know what you are talking about. I bought it NEW in JUNE 2009.

14. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

Battery lasts 3 hours just using pages.

No Warranty ends June 2011.

15. Al Coholic macrumors 6502

Perhaps if you could coax your lazy fingers into providing all the information in as few posts as possible...

Exactly *what* did Apple say/do the first 5 times you saw them about this issue? Share this only if you think it's pertinent mind you.

16. neondrgns macrumors regular

neondrgns

battery lasts 3 hours, thats pretty normal for a 2 year old computer
    your warranty also makes no sense since if you did buy it in 2009, its a 3 year so it goes to 2012.
    read the above warranty link in my previous post.
    You are not guaranteed protection with things that are made to be worn out. Namely your battery.

17. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

So Pages is the only app running? Is bluetooth and wifi on? Is your screen at full brightness?

3 hours is a little on the short side but I don't think it's in the defective range.

18. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

Your quite annoying. Finish high school and get back to me.

Screen is at half brightness and the wifi is on.
    Apple only installs software like the latest flash or does testing and says it's normal.

19. johnnj macrumors 6502a

Exactly what kind of help were you expecting to get here by only saying that you went to the Apple Store 5 times and they didn't give you a new battery?

I went to an Apple Store 5 times and they didn't give me any apples. I was quite insistant and they asked me to leave and not come back.

20. Al Coholic macrumors 6502

Son, based on your prose and blatant omission of contractions I'm quite sure I've got mayonnaise in the fridge older than you.

What kind of processes do you have running in activity monitor? As much anguish as this has caused I'd at least try to eliminate any software issues by installing only a pristine copy of OSX along with the latest flash and see if you notice any difference.

21. wpotere Guest

Are you guys married? :p

That being said, I hate to say it but why don't you just buy one and replace it? Yours really doesn't fall under the "replacement" realm but that doesn't mean you can't do it yourself.

22. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

This place is filled with children.

To the immature "man" with the very mature name of "Al Collic", I am 27 years old. Sure, you might be older than me, but you don't act like it at all. Good day, sir.

By the way, I am joking.

23. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

All joking aside in my previous post, I will try this and see if it works. Thank you though.

24. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

I had my battery replaced in Dec. under warrantee. It had roughly 200-300 cycles counts on it and it wouldn't keep a charge. I told them I tried re-calibrating it and it still wouldn't charge. Even after fully charging it, and turning it off around 8am. When I checked it at 7pm the battery had drained to 0% without using it.

Applecare :cool:

25. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

Exactly like mine is! Except I can't get it replaced!