Beer inside iPhone screen? damage / marks (pics inside)

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by samyouel, Oct 31, 2010.

1. samyouel macrumors newbie

So last night at a party someone spilt a beer on my naked iPhone 4, the drink only appeared to be on the surface of the screen, I of course quickly dried it off and shook it free of anything that may have gone inside the dock connector but as I used the screen there is noticeable dark patches.

since last night I left it turned off and tried to use a hair dryer to see if it improved the condition, when turning it back on today there is a big reductionin the dark patch but it's more dispersed and joined by a few white dots too, none of this is seen when turned off, so I figure some liquid must have gotten inside the surface of the actual screen and damaged it?

I'll attach pictures to illustrate.

my questions are:

1. does any one know what the actual damage is
    2. will this ever go away
    3. how to fix it / damage it's going to cause to my wallet

Attached Files:

2. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Apple may fix it for £140 (this was the charge for a refurb iPhone in the 3G/3GS days but they do a lot of actual in store repairs now) but you might be out of luck since its a liquid :/

3. CZK, Oct 31, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2011

CZK macrumors 6502a

Even if you dry completely it there will be residue left. This is beer, not 100% water.

Nothing you can do but send it to a professionnal shop or at apple.

or

sue that m*ther****er
    ________
    Dc Medical Marijuana Dispensaries

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

5. samyouel thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah by the looks of things... it's just left it dirty, I wonder if they will charge me loads just to basically clean my screen as it still appears to function 100% the same, unless the screen is damaged... I'll take it to my local apple store tomorrow -_________-
    :apple::apple::apple:

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Apple will not clean up your screen. You can get a replacement for $199 or find a 3rd party repair shop to work on it but parts for an i4 are expensive.
    Mind as well get a replacement for $200.

7. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I would just live with it until the iPhone 5. It sucks, yeah, but it might not be worth $200. For me it isn't.

8. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

it may eventually dry out on its own. I was successful in my one and only iPhone filled with beer repair. there was so much beer under the motherboard that it would flow from one end to the other! with the iPhone 4 you cant take the lcd off of the digitizer to clean it so you may have to live with it. or pay the $199.