Beginning MAC/IOS programming

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by alexandre16, Jan 22, 2011.

1. alexandre16, Jan 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2011

alexandre16 macrumors member

Hi
    I am new in MAC/IOS programming, and i want to know how to make MAC/IOS Apps (games,etc).
    How i can start?
    Buying and reading books?
    other things?
    what you recommend to me?

P.S: if the books are good to start tell me the name of best books to buy
    :)

2. balamw, Jan 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  3. Dylan552 macrumors newbie

youtube

look at thenewboston on youtube he does a lot of basics for iphone programming

4. chrono1081, Jan 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2011

chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

What kind of programming experience do you have already? Why type of games are you looking to make? You may need to look at a game engine such as Unity vs programming something from scratch (unless you want to spend forever in development).

5. alexandre16, Jan 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2011

alexandre16 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all to help

I dont have experience with iphone programming, but i know, php,mysql,html,ajax,css, visual basic, pascal/C.

I want to create games for example where a ball has gravity as in real life and to be launched from the air, it will
    fall, and then will crash into objects and their behavior will change according to when hit, for example type
    the bubble ball
    Then I would also like to know how to ride a ball at random by the iPhone's screen but not be able to pass off the screen, a game type itennis with iteration with two bars that users
    play against each other.
    Basically I want to know where to play with much iteration objects.
    The game I really liked to do was the kind of bubble ball
    some tutorials,books or examples to see?

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Have you read all the links provided? They answer most of your questions.

From http://guides.macrumors.com/Cocoa_FAQ

B

7. alexandre16 thread starter macrumors member

8. lee1210 macrumors 68040

lee1210

Beyond the basics, you'll need OpenGL ES. There are books out there, but I have no specific recommendations. From there, you may need to read up on some physics. I definitely don't have recommendations on that.

-Lee

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Or, as was recommended by chrono1081, pick an appropriate game engine and learn how to use that with their docs.

B

10. fishcove Guest

Take a look at Corona SDK.

11. alexandre16, Jan 23, 2011

alexandre16 thread starter macrumors member

I'm beginning to buy the book that everyone who is recommending this "The C Programming Language" by Kernighan and Ritchie to start learning iphone language
    but as I also enjoyed learning to create games for iphone like to advise me whether any more
    book that teaches to make games for the iphone, I'll start learning the language and would like to know the following,
    which set of books that advise me to buy in order to understand language and make applications and games
    for iphone?
    But just want the books are really good
    Thanks for all help :)

P.S First i only want to make 2d games

12. chrono1081, Jan 23, 2011

chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

For creating games if you want to do the long route that won't cost you anything except for some books maybe, do this:

Objective-C -> CocoaTouch -> Cocos2D -> OpenGLES 2.0

For the Objective-C book, this is usually what most people recommend:

http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Objective-C-2-0-Stephen-Kochan/dp/0321566157/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1295821574&sr=8-1-spell

Get good at this book and then go to this book for Cocoa Touch (no skipping! It will hurt you when you get into games):

http://www.amazon.com/iPhone-Programming-Ranch-Guide-Guides/dp/0321706242/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1295821636&sr=1-1

Once you go through the two above books, this book will give you a lot of decent information about how to make games, things that go into them like surfaces, timers, collision detection, etc:

http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-iPhone-Games-Development-Cabrera/dp/1430225998/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1295821705&sr=1-2

Once you go through these three books you will be able to make games. I'd recommend though after these three books start learning Cocos2D for 2D games and then OpenGL ES 2.0 for 3D games. I can't recommend books for these two though since I don't have any.

Even though this route is longer you will learn much more and be better at game development.

If you want instant results you could get a game engine like Unity3D but you'll be paying $400 for the iOS version and if your not familiar with building games it may be of some trouble. There are tutorials and such but the documentation (in my opinion) is lacking a little bit so you may run into trouble if your not familiar with the basics of what makes a game. I love Unity and its my favorite engine but if you aren't familiar with scripting, or no what things like ray casting or mesh colliders are you won't be able to do much in it.

EDIT: One more book that is very useful for the physics aspect of games, as well as some basics on 3D is this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Fundamentals-Math-Physics-Game-Programmers/dp/0131687425/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1295822052&sr=1-1

This book has a lot of handy equations to keep with you that can help you a lot when trying to do physics. Its no replacement for learning the actual physics but it has code examples on how to implement said physics. Also I'm not sure why its only a 3 star review on Amazon I only found one typo in the entire book so I'm not sure why the reviews say "riddled with errors!" Everything worked for me. Mind you though this book is to get your feet wet. For more advanced topics in this area check out the 3D Math Primer (EXCELLENT Book).

http://www.amazon.com/Primer-Graphics-Development-Wordware-Library/dp/1556229119/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1295822358&sr=1-1

13. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

14. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

15. alexandre16 thread starter macrumors member

The people recommend this books
    http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Ob...4&sr=8-1-spell

or

http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Language-Prentice-Hall-Software/dp/0131103628

I do not know what I will buy, can you help me? the books are similar or have differences?

16. mydogisbox macrumors member

Which book?

I think you could have done this.

From wikipedia:
    From Amazon on C Programming Language:
    From Amazon on Programming in Objective-C 2.0:

17. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Everyone learns things differently, so it's hard to predict. Amazon lets you peek inside both of those books, so do that and see what style you prefer.

K&R is a very dry book with few examples, it'll teach you C if you "click" with it. If you don't it will bore you to tears. (JMHO).

Kochan is more example driven and doesn't assume any previous programming experience. If you click with that it will be a shorter path to actually building your own Objective-C 2.0 apps for the Mac and iPhone.

You should still back-fill with some C book, be it K&R. Kochan's book on C, etc...

B

18. alexandre16 thread starter macrumors member

I'll buy this to learn c (C Programming Language (2nd Edition) [Paperback]
    Brian W. Kernighan (Author), Dennis M.) but this book is the second edition, should have the first edition also right?or does not exist?

I want the perfects books to know perfectly about this language.

First,I first want to determine which books of c language that I need to master the language

19. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

The second edition is fine. It's just an updated version of the first edition.

There is no perfect. There are far too many variables involved that would allow a single book (or, really, even multiple books) to be able to educate every single reader perfectly. And if your goal is to learn Objective-C, then there is no need to learn the entire C Language perfectly, at least IMHO.

To confuse matters even more, there's also this book: "Learn C on the Mac"

20. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

21. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Depending on your existing level of programming competence, you could take a look at Box2D for the iPhone. There are many samples and tutorials out there (I won't list them here, just google "Box2D iPhone"). You could learn a lot just by going through those examples and tweaking the code.

However, it still is important to learn about iOS memory management, you won't get far without it.

22. alexandre16 thread starter macrumors member

l every time I'm more confused: s
    liked to ask the following:
    I'm starting to plan for iphone mac and never programmed for both platforms, and I want to develop games 2d iphone like bubble ball, itennis, angry birds, that type of games, can someone tell me the set of books should I buy to be good and sufficient grounds to make games for the iphone? say the list of books I need for this
    Thanks for all help :)

23. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Take a look at the post I posted above, the first three books I list have all you need for what your goal is.

The other two books are simply to take your knowledge further.

24. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

To reiterate.

Perhaps more explicitly this is what chrono1081 suggests.

Start with Kochan and finish it: http://www.amazon.com/Programming-O...6157/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1295914183&sr=8-1

Add Conway and Hillegass for Cocoa Touch: http://www.amazon.com/iPhone-Progra...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1295914216&sr=8-1

Add Cabrera et al. for game specific stuff once you are familiar with Cocoa Touch. http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-iPh...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1295914269&sr=1-1

Your experience may vary. As I pointed out several folks starting with Kochan found it boring and not useful.

B

25. alexandre16 thread starter macrumors member

I should read to get the first C language and then Objective C language or just start by Objective C language?