Beige G4s...

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by bunnspecial, Nov 15, 2015.

1. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I'm posting this as a take-off of @lightbulbfuns thread on Leopard on his beige G3, but I'm wondering who else on MR has a beige Mac of some sort with a G4 processor.

I have two at the moment-an 8600 with an 800mhz/1mb Sonnet and a G3 Minitower with a Sonnet 1ghz/1mb. I'm also going to put one in an all-in-one G3, although I'm not sure what it will be(probably something in the 400-500mhz range).

2. LightBulbFun macrumors 6502a

LightBulbFun

I may as well Fail to show off here :) I have a 400Mhz Newer Tech MaxPowr G4 ZIF 1MB L2 in my G3 beige (yeah its Powr not Power...) I also have an XLR8 ZIF slocket carrier that came with the G4 ZIF but I dont have any Mac to put it in (id love a 9600 or something like that for it :) )

3. catzilla macrumors 6502

catzilla

I have a AIO with a G4 466 and a beige tower with a G4 of about the same speed IIRC.

4. Dannyshing27 macrumors regular

Dannyshing27

I have an encore G4 500mhz if and a G3 beige tower, never took the processor out the box tho.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I have a few beige G4 Macs. Most of them have run Leopard at some point in their life.

6. Ih8reno macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

Have a sonnet 500mhz in my Power Macintosh 9600, haven't touched it in awhile as I have it in storage.

7. comda macrumors 6502a

comda

Sadly i only have a Stock Beige G3 desktop. At least its stock CPU. The previous owner upgraded the drive to 20GB, the RAM to 224mb, and the CD-ROm to a CD-RW. Runs 9.2.2 but Ran Jaguar speedy quick actually. USB card as well.

8. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

That RAM amount is a bit of a strange number. Is it 128+64+32?

BTW, how does it do with booting off the CD-RW drive? I have it stuck in my head somewhere that these need a drive with Apple firmware to be bootable, so I've always been careful to use Apple drives when changing an optical drive in one(usually a CD-ROM or CD-RW pulled from a later tower that I've upgraded), and haven't personally experimented. I think the beige G4 in my office has a non-Apple drive but I've never even used it(I have to pop the side and remove the bezel for it to even open).

9. comda macrumors 6502a

comda

That Ram Pattern you have described is correct. I thought it was odd too, but it works so i left it. I was planning on putting 3 times 256mb because i have a box load of 256mb SD RAM.
    As for the Optical drive. It tends to make a loud noise or even open on start up when i take it out of storage (my closet) due to the case bezel pushing on the drives button. once i move it, the drive boots everything just fine. The only issue i had was i tried to boot os 8.1 CD with it. It ignored that, but it booted Os9 CD and I ran Jaguar 10.2 on it for a week once.

10. comda macrumors 6502a

comda

Here is a post about mine Beige... http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/return-of-the-beige-g3.1830562/