Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Belkin today announced the launch of its new 3.5mm Audio + Charge RockStar adapter, which joins its existing Lightning Audio + Charge RockStar adapter to allow users to charge their devices and listen to music at the same time.

The Audio + Charge RockStar is designed for iPhones that lack a 3.5mm headphone jack, which includes the iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and upcoming iPhone X.

belkinadapter1-800x607.jpg

A Lightning connector on the adapter plugs into the Lighting port of an iPhone, providing both a 3.5mm headphone jack for use with standard headphones and a Lightning port where you can plug in a Lightning cable to charge at the same time that you listen.

belkinadapter2-800x230.jpg

Belkin has built 12W pass-through charging into the Audio + Charge RockStar, so your iPhone will be able to charge at maximum speed. It supports any audio jack that uses a 3.5mm connector and is compatible with most cases.

Belkin's 3.5mm Audio + Charge RockStar adapter can be purchased from the Apple Store for $34.95 or directly from Belkin for $34.99.

Article Link: Belkin Debuts 3.5mm Audio + Charge RockStar for Charging an iPhone While Listening to Music

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I suppose this has functionality if you are sitting at a desk or need to run it though some speakers via an audio cable which you can also accomplish with an Apple dock since they have Audio Out.

But for charging and listening, plug the phone in (or put it on a mat) and use some Bluetooth headphones. Much more freedom.

Tmelon

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
Finally. I thought the old version was weird with 2 lightning ports that required you to attach the other 3.5mm adapter to this adapter. Hopefully this one is better quality as well. The last version had a lot of reports that it broke within a few months.

caoimhin

macrumors member
May 11, 2006
Dublin
I have the older version of this, with the two lightning ports. It's unreliable, sometimes dropping the audio signal and playing audio through the phone. I'll give this a shot though.

ArneK

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2015
I am still angry at Apple for not finally switching over to USB C. I love it on my MacBook and it would be so useful to finally get rid of this terrible lightning “standard”

vipergts2207

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
How was this launched today? I received mine last week when I ordered it with my iPhone 8. And yes it's the model with the headphone jack, not two lightning ports. Weird.

Attachments

• IMG_3264.PNG
    IMG_3264.PNG
    115.4 KB · Views: 151

GhostRaider

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2014
Wonder if China will make a knockoff of this that actually works. If they do, I'd be interested tbh.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
I don't know about the quality of this adapter at all, but please people stop with all the 'get over the past' comments, it's just silly. There are advantages and disadvantages to both wired and bluetooth headphones, but it's still ultimately just about getting audio from the data on the device to analogue sound waves you listen to. You want lower quality cable-free earphones that regularly need charging then fine, but don't pretend you are the Jetsons. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.