MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Belkin today announced the launch of the Boost Charge Pro USB-C GaN Wall Charger 60W, which it says is the smallest GaN 60W solution on the market.

belkincharger1.jpg

The new USB-C Boost Charge Pro 60W charger joins Belkin's lineup of other gallium nitride (GaN) power adapter options. GaN technology has become widespread over the last few years and allows for much smaller power adapters that take up less space than the standard silicon power adapters.

According to Belkin, the Boost Charge Pro 60W is 53 percent smaller than standard 60W laptop chargers and is able to work with USB-C Apple devices including MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, and iPad Pro. It can also fast charge an iPhone (including the new iPhone 12 models) when paired with a USB-C to Lightning cable.

belkincharger2.jpg

The compact Boost Charge Pro 60W is equipped with overcurrent and overvoltage protection to keep devices safe while charging.

Belkin is selling the Boost Charge Pro USB-C PD GaN Wall Charger 60W for $50, and it can be ordered from the Belkin website.

Article Link: Belkin Debuts Compact 'Boost Charge Pro' 60W GaN USB-C Power Adapter

Reactions: amartinez1660

RickDEGH

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2018
Germany
Spigen’s PowerArc, although only 20W, looks much better imo, and cheaper alternative, if it’s meant to charge only phones/tablets.

Comment

eggzachtly

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2018

Belkin today announced the launch of the Boost Charge Pro USB-C GaN Wall Charger 60W, which it says is the smallest GaN 60W solution on the market.

belkincharger1.jpg

The new USB-C Boost Charge Pro 60W charger joins Belkin's lineup of other gallium nitride (GaN) power adapter options. GaN technology has become widespread over the last few years and allows for much smaller power adapters that take up less space than the standard silicon power adapters.

According to Belkin, the Boost Charge Pro 60W is 53 percent smaller than standard 60W laptop chargers and is able to work with USB-C Apple devices including MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, and iPad Pro. It can also fast charge an iPhone (including the new iPhone 12 models) when paired with a USB-C to Lightning cable.

belkincharger2.jpg

The compact Boost Charge Pro 60W is equipped with overcurrent and overvoltage protection to keep devices safe while charging.

Belkin is selling the Boost Charge Pro USB-C PD GaN Wall Charger 60W for $50, and it can be ordered from the Belkin website.

Article Link: Belkin Debuts Compact 'Boost Charge Pro' 60W GaN USB-C Power Adapter
Love that it’s smaller, but it’s such an odd shape. Can’t flip down the prongs and doesn’t really fit into my slimmer laptop bags. Yes I’m carrying around more weight but at least the standard block fits nicely.

Comment

Ortiz83

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2018
For a phone, yes. For a MacBook Pro, let’s see.
How so for a phone? I’m curious because I ordered the 20w Apple adapter with the MagSafe wireless charger. I though no matter how many wattage the adapter is, the charger will only use 15% to fast charge. Do I have that correct or not? If not and I am able to receive an even more faster charge with this 60w adapter, I’ll return the Apple one.

Comment

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
Not as small but 65 & 61 watt GaN under $30...

This is the smaller one of Aukey:

Comment

fbr$

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2020
I only use wall chargers with at least three ports.

Recently I bought these two:

1) Four USB-A 5V/2.4A ports, total 30W (I guess 5V/1.5A each port when using all four ports simultaneously)

2) Three USB-C ports + one USB-A port, total 65W (USB-C #1 and #2 = 65W max., USB-C #3 = 18W max., USB-A = 22.5W max.)

2F275D53-7874-4CAE-841B-5C45752E83CA.jpeg

C57D3409-B9B2-42C3-8195-06BB2A343F80.jpeg

Comment

WiseAJ

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2009
PDX
How so for a phone? I’m curious because I ordered the 20w Apple adapter with the MagSafe wireless charger. I though no matter how many wattage the adapter is, the charger will only use 15% to fast charge. Do I have that correct or not? If not and I am able to receive an even more faster charge with this 60w adapter, I’ll return the Apple one.

The magsafe charger will only use 15w of that 20w when connected to the iPhone 12. If you connect a lightning cable to the 20w charger it will use the full 20w.

Reactions: citysnaps
Comment

now i see it

macrumors 604
Jan 2, 2002
The iPhone can only accept a set maximum amount of current and this 60 watt charger can provide way more power than any iPhone can accept. So this charger is overkill and unnecessary for just charging iPhones. No speed benefit over using a 20 watt charger.

Edit:
Just found this video clip on YouTube.
Speed difference charging an iPhone with 100 chargers vs 1

Last edited:
Comment

Tony_YYZ

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2015
Not as small but 65 & 61 watt GaN under $30...

This is the smaller one of Aukey:
I have the 65w version of this. Works great for my phone, iPad and work MBP. It’s pretty compact as well.

Comment

GeoStructural

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2016
Colombia
so, is this better then Apple’s own 20W?

iPhones are able to fast-charge, so yes. However it has been pointed out that charging at so much power may cause battery degradation and heating.

I have a 60 W GaN charger and it is able to charge my laptop too, although at a slower rate than the charger it came with.

Comment

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
I just got the Anker 20 Watt (non-GaN) charger for the Magsafe wireless charger instead of the Apple 20 Watt one. BIG MISTAKE! I love Anker cables but this thing gets hotter than molten lava! My iPhone Max got very hot as well. I'm afraid it could be a fire hazard. I am returning and getting the Apple one even tho it is larger.

Comment

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
I bought a 60W GaN with fold-able prongs made by Anker that's slightly larger than Apple's 12W for less than $30 from Amazon few years ago. Belkin's little late to the party and expensive per usual.

Comment

InGen

Contributor
Jun 22, 2020
Are you definitely sure it has overcurrent and overvoltage protection? If you look at the facial expression of the top power outlet in that photo it doesn’t look like he’s too happy about what this “Gallium Nitrate” charger is doing to him down below. Looks painful I hope Belkin know what they’re doing hehe

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: HeadsUp7Up and Huck
Comment

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2007
I bought an aukey 60w 2-usb C port charger which looks to be smaller than this for 15 bucks - 25 before adding a discount. I found other ones for 30 to 40 (ravpower).

Hard Pass on the belkin. Move on.

Comment

IIGS User

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2019
Sixty watts is a lot of juice.

I could see using something like this on a battery pack with a hub in it so you can charge the pack and the phone at the same time.

But it is overkill for just charging a phone. It would be great for a MBP.

I have Anker’s 30 watt offering at home and Apple’s 20 watt that came with my iPad Pro in my office so I have no need for chargers right now...

Comment

mikhaelj

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2017
I thought using a charger more than 20W would ruin the battery health in the long run?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.