Belkin Releases Privacy Screen Protectors for iPhone XS, XS Max, and XR

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 27, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Belkin this week released new privacy-focused InvisiGlass Ultra screen protectors for the iPhone X and iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR.

[​IMG]

The screen protectors are designed with two-way mirrored glass that hides the contents of your iPhone screen from onlookers when viewed from the side, but provides full visibility when viewed straight on.

Apple, which began selling the screen protectors this week, says the screen protectors use ion-strengthened glass for improved durability.

The screen protectors are available for $44.95 on Apple.com for each iPhone model. An installation kit and cleaning cloth are included for self application, or Apple Stores can apply the screen protectors when purchased in store.

Keep in mind that many privacy screen protectors are available on Amazon, often at significantly lower prices, although quality varies.

Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Amazon.

Article Link: Belkin Releases Privacy Screen Protectors for iPhone XS, XS Max, and XR

2. bLackjackj macrumors member

3. Imdougurnot macrumors member

Imdougurnot

I’ll stick with Zagg and their free replacement guarantee, thanks. Although, I’m not a fan of Belkin anyway, so maybe I’m biased.

4. newtestleper macrumors 6502

[Sips coffee] $44.95.

Did I do this right?

5. canesalato macrumors 65816

canesalato

Great value, as usual. It became cheaper to buy accessories at a jewelry than at Apple stores. The cheapest things left there are dongles...

6. justiny Contributor

justiny

While I’m a fan of screen protectors, and I have them on all of my Apple devices, I will never spend more than $10 on any of them.

$45 is beyond ridiculous.

7. Amacfa macrumors 68000

Amacfa

It’s high yes.

But it’s also a two way privacy screen, which is nice in itself. And it’s also from Belkin a well known company.

It’s expensive but it’s probably the best quality privacy protector on the market

8. jumanji macrumors regular

9. GeoStructural macrumors member

I got mine from Amazon, it’s a 3-pack for 4.99, it is clear and perfect.

These “privacy” ones have never worked for me, they diminish the viewing quality even at slightly less than frontal view... and for that price...

10. 69Mustang, Feb 27, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2019

69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

Belkin makes some... some decent stuff but I don't think any of their products have ever been considered best on the market. This screen protector isn't worth anywhere near $45 imo. Belkin has a good relationship with Apple so they can charge more because they assume they are "Apple adjacent". They did the same thing with their wireless chargers.

11. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

I would assume for 45.00 it is the highest quality screen protector ever and comes with a lifetime warranty.

12. Bawstun macrumors 65816

Bawstun

What a sad state of US capitalism to even have the nerve, the IDEA in your head that you could release these for $44.95 — and they will probably sell a ton at that price, which is extremely unaffordable and must have a markup margin of 8000%. So so sad.

$44.95 and must cost 15 cents to manufacture.

13. hapSaud macrumors newbie

hapSaud

The big question here when it comes to privacy screen protectors is visibility in outdoor, will this one affect the visibility?

14. squizzler macrumors regular

squizzler

15. McG2k1 macrumors regular

Great for the subway, pretty terrible in places like the car. At that price..sheesh, terrible everywhere.

16. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Its not just a screen protector. It doesn’t allow anyone to see what you’re doing from the side. If another product does the same thing for less I’d buy it. For $45 and the store will apply it I’d get it.

17. Glockworkorange macrumors 68000

Glockworkorange

If you’re one of the people who have trouble putting them on without getting air bubbles or dust underneath, perhaps it’s worth it.

18. Bystander macrumors newbie

Bystander

“...but provides full visibility when viewed straight on.“

That’s why I go in over the shoulder!

19. Bearxor macrumors 6502a

I've been using privacy screen protectors for almost five years now. None have been as good as iCarez brands.

https://www.amazon.com/iCarez-Coverage-Protector-6-5-Inch-Installation/dp/B07GR4PFPL/

They are four-way privacy screen protectors so you are covered from each angle. Also, they actually work. Other screen protectors I've tried aren't very private.

Look at this comparison between the iCarez and one I bought from Tech Armor

https://i.imgur.com/76y2gdK.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/f0IOfnB.jpg

The iCarez includes a couple of rubber bands and some stickers that you can use to perform a hinge installation of the protector. They are super easy to install properly.

I can not recommend the iCarez screen protectors enough if you're actually concerned about about keeping your screen private in a public setting.

20. Scooz macrumors 6502

Scooz

Funny, we praise the displays for
    being independent from the viewing-angle and then put that thing on top.

(I had a 3D display phone that could mask the display dynamically back then in 2011, though, which was great, in that respect. Should I mention that it was an Android phone and never got a system update?)

21. Bearxor macrumors 6502a

Yeah, it does suck. I have a friend who has an XS Max and he rocks it naked. At lunch I'm able to see the screen and it is beautiful. Then I realize that I'm able to read everything he's doing on his screen from two seats away. These phones are so huge and clear now that its way too easy to see everything.

So, I've had a bit of a dull screen for a few years but its a trade-off you have to decide if you want to make.

22. subjonas macrumors 68000

Millions invested in technology to improve viewing angle. Undo it completely for another $45.

23. B4U macrumors 68020

B4U

I had their non-privacy one when the X just came out. The quality was worse than what I can get for $15. Not to mention that is just a plastic film which does not even cover the entire screen.
    There are way better ones out there for less than half of what this costs.

24. newyorksole macrumors 68040

Lmao not necessarily. It just means that Apple’s customers will buy it regardless so it can be priced high.

25. Tivoli_ macrumors member

This is like dressing up to cover nakedness on the front, but our behinds are completely open for view to companies like Facebook, Google and the like.