Belkin Shield Micra and Incase Snap Case iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by iqwertyi, Jul 23, 2010.

1. iqwertyi macrumors regular

I'm looking for a clear hard case for my iPhone 4.
    These two are on the free case program except, I cannot find too much info on them.
    The app says the Belkin is policarbonate but Belkin's own site states "flexible".
    And can't find anything really on the incase, but it does say hardshell, so that's pretty clear.

I like the belkin because it covers more. But can't tell for sure if it is a hard case.

Any ideas?
    Thanks

2. optimusp517 macrumors member

optimusp517

Thanks for bringing that up. I did notice on their website as well that it says it's a flexible case? Hmmmm... Wish there were more pictures and video reviews of all the cases so I can make a better selection.

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Yeah, they only offer one pic, and I've looked around and that is the same pic that keeps showing up. So, it's kind of hard to tell what you're buying from a description.

4. acousticbiker macrumors 6502

Was choosing between these two as well (had been previously considering an Ivyskin Reception Case prior to the announcement of Apple's free program). Went with the Incase because it was unclear to me whether the Belkin covered the noise-cancellation mic on top. Also other cases with bottom coverage have had issues with dock connectors based on how they were cutout and the Belkin just didn't offer enough information to feel comfortable about this. The Incase clearly will be fine with these two issues based on the way it is cut and more pictures provided for it.

5. ihav0frnds macrumors 6502

i just called belkin to ask how it was, and the dude told me it did have cutouts for ports on bottom. i went with it.

6. desrste macrumors newbie

I recently purchased the Belkin Shield Micra at Best Buy (before the free case option was announced) and to answer the questions... it is definitely a flexible case not a hardshell. It covers the entire phone, except the screen obviously. There are cut outs for the headphone jack and second mic on the top, the plug and speakers on the bottom, the Camera and flash on the back, and mute switch on the side. The power and volume buttons are actually covered by the case but it does not mess with your ability to turn the phone on or off. The only issue I see with this case would be if you have a screen protector on your phone. The case does come up onto the screen on the phone and when I purchased this case I also purchased a zagg screen protector (which was horrible btw, returned the same day) and when I put the case on it will certainly interfere with the screen protector. So if your like me and can't stand bubbles on the screen I would not choose this case if you also want a screen protector.

7. papo2 macrumors member

pics please...?

8. headcheese macrumors regular

Did he say what it was made out of? Because I wanted a clear case that WASN'T hard plastic and since Belkin's website said "flexible" I chose that thinking it was a TPU or something like that.

Hope it isn't a hard plastic case :(

9. dr.S macrumors newbie

I am confused between the two as well. Just want a clear case which is NOT hard plastic. One which is more classy. Cant make up my mind after reading the posts above. Anyone has more info on either of them?

10. desrste macrumors newbie

Well everyone I have to apologize as I found the packaging for my Belkin case and turns out I bought the Grip Vue...really sorry!!!! I am attaching some pics I found of the Vue (left slight purple sheen) and the Micra (right pic). It appears to me that the Micra does not cover the volume buttons and unfortunately I cannot tell from the picture whether it will cover the front of the screen as I mentioned the Vue does. You can also see that there are additional cut-outs at the top and bottom of the Vue as I mentioned but it does not look like there are cut-outs on the Micra. Again everyone please accept my apology, really really sorry for giving the wrong info...

Attached Files:

11. desrste macrumors newbie

It appears from the pictures it is the same material as the one I bought (Grip Vue) and if that is the case it is definitely flexible.

12. Hallospceboy macrumors newbie

Case with grip

Does anyone know about which case has a rubberized texture? The bumper obviously but with out the recessed headphone jack it's kinda lame. I do a lot of cycling so I'd like a case that has a nice grip on it.

13. atomicbatteries macrumors 6502

so when you all say it is flexible and not hard plastic,is this more like a silicone shell? I hate that feel!

14. cjthebest macrumors member

Nope, the description says its polycarbonate. That means its still flexible but you can get it out of your pocket without dust stuck to it! I hate silicone as well. I was debating between these cases and I decided that the Incase Snap is a poor choice because in one drop it would crack. So I chose the Belkin :D

15. iKurisu macrumors newbie

The belkin site states that the Grip Vue is a TPU material, but simply says that the Shield Micra is a "flexible" case/material, so that makes me wonder exactly what kind of material it's made out of.. I've been looking for a TPU case, but without solid confirmation, I'm shying away from this case for now...

16. pikkashoe macrumors regular

I have the clear vue, and if this case is similar, it will slowly start turning yellow with time and exposure to the sun.

I went with the clear incase snap case.

17. iqwertyi thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, still can't decide too.
    My other concern is that I'd like to use a back skin, so I need something that can fit that.
    I'm tempted to go Belkin, but just holding off till we get a better pic or info.

18. headcheese macrumors regular

Just got off the phone with Belkin...

and they said that the case is a "hardened silicone type material". I said "TPU?" And she said very similar to that. She said that it is 100% not a hard plastic that could "crack when dropped" but a more of a "rubberized tough material that would not break". Pliable strength is what she said at the end.

I am pleased with my choice :)

19. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

This sounds like a very good choice. Please give us your impressions after you have the case.

20. atomicbatteries macrumors 6502

going with Belkin, that's for calling and relaying information!

21. headcheese macrumors regular

My pleasure guys :)

Seems like you and I wanted the same thing atomicbatteries. Glad I could help!!

spblat- I will if I remember after it gets here IN SEPTEMBER :eek:

22. thehotrod11 macrumors newbie

I went with the incase snap case. My friend has a bumper and it puckers up the corners of his bodyguardz skin. I need to have a skin on the at least the face of my iphone. I don't want it to get scratched. The snap case seemed to have the most protection without wrapping around the front of the phone where it could interfere with any skins on the screen. I picked clear, but black looked ok too. I figured with clear, I could see when it is getting dirty behind the case and remove it and clean out the dust and dirt before it scratches the back of the phone. ( I work outside a lot.)

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

23. mbhforum macrumors 6502a

Any one know if the Belkin Shield Micra has the annoying button covers that the Grip Vue did that were impossible to press down?

24. iqwertyi thread starter macrumors regular

Based on the pics provided, it looks like it's open around the volume buttons.
    Don't know about the top power button though.
    Once again, this is only by zooming into the pics.

25. dr.S macrumors newbie

Is back of the belkin case completely clear or it's is coloured and printed like iPhones back? There is also Belkin etched not the case at the back :-(