Belkin Snap Shield + Smart Cover for the new iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by benna, Mar 14, 2012.

1. benna macrumors regular

I've gotten the new White iPad, Wifi.

I was wondering if the combination of a Belkin Snap shield and the Red leather smart cover look good on the iPad and give decent protection.

The issue is, does the new iPad have a new microphone in the bottom that the Belkin cases out there block, as i know the older ones are made for the iPad 2.

Anyone out there with more expertise on this? Thanks for letting me know! :)

2. Steelers7510, Mar 14, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2012

Steelers7510 macrumors 6502

Steelers7510

If you're looking for a case with front and back protection, I have to recommend one of Maroo's cases. In addition to offering front and back protection they also work with the iPads magnetic auto lock feature just like the smart cover.

3. wgr73 macrumors 6502a

wgr73

I actually recommend what the OP wants to do because I have an iPad 2 setup this way. For me it's perfect because if I want to remove the smart cover I can and still have protection for the rear. I am turned off by maroo and other full cases where you cant remover the front. Added bulk for me. If I needed a portfolio look then things may be different.

Just 2 different opinions :cool:

4. iCarabma macrumors 6502

One of the very few case differences between "new" and "2" is that there is a pinhole on the top in the center on the new iPad. That is the mic.

5. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

I used a Belkin Snap Shield on my iPad 2 with a Smart Cover and the iPad looked brand new once they came off when I sold it.

Belkin even has them for the 3rd gen iPad. I highly recommend the Belkin or the Incipio Smart Feather case.

http://www.amazon.com/Shield-Apple-Generation-1080P-Verizon/dp/B007C1KNDO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331731967&sr=8-1

EDIT* Like an above poster said, it's really great that the Smart Covers come off and you still have protection on the back. I was able to just set my iPad 2 down on anything and not even worry about it.

EDIT 2* I also recommend getting the "Smoke" version as the "Clear" tends to change to a yellowish tint as it gets dirty.

6. kingalien macrumors regular

kingalien

I've had the smart cover and back cover set up for the 2 the whole time and plan to do the same for the New. I've dropped the 2 a couple of times and more recently the back cover cracked (corner piece) but the iPad is fine.

7. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

Snap Shield Secure

I agree with the others. I have used the Snap Shield and smart cover the entire time with my iPad 2 and it has saved it from several scrapes and dents. There is also the Snap Shield Secure that cost an additional $5.00 over the Snap Shield that incorporates a metal strip for the smart cover to attach to when folded over the back.

http://www.amazon.com/Shield-Secure...ULOE/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1331732727&sr=8-8

8. MGTR420 macrumors regular

I bought this one. :D

9. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I have the Belkin clear one on my iPad 2. I had the black one. I'm not happy with how they've held up. I'm trying the Marware micro shell to see if it fares any better.

10. Capt T macrumors 6502a

Do you get the cracking in the corners?

I really like the fact that it did not raise over the glass on the front, so it was almost like it wasn't there. I tried to replace the one I had, but only found ones that have that little lip over the front glass. I would hope the new ones don't have that.

11. kingalien macrumors regular

kingalien

Take a look at Switcheasy. I put a lot of abuse on it before it finally cracked after a drop. I had a Marware as a backup and using that one now.

12. wgnoyes macrumors 6502

That's what I have. The sort-of clear one. (Still want to be able to see the logo on the back.) Happy with it, and the light grey polyurethane smart cover for a white iPad 2. It looks good. The belkin back doesn't crack at the corners, though oddly, there is some brown discoloration there as if it had been heated. No corresponding discoloration on the device itself.

13. benna thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks a lot everyone! :)

Looks like this is a safe plan. I'll have the iPad fully protected then! :)

Oh i wanted to show off my iPad too :D the Belkin case is pretty transparent, isn't it? And does it add a lot of bulk to the iPad?

14. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

Yes, they are pretty transparent. Even the "Smoke" is easily seen through. And no, it doesn't add much bulk at all.

15. TexasChemE macrumors 6502a

TexasChemE

Has anyone tried the Incase Mag Snap case? Also, does the Belkin Snap Shield have a glossy finish? Or does it have a satin feel to it?

16. photogpab macrumors 6502

photogpab

this Belkin Snap Shield Secure case looks like a good option, but I'm reading so many negative reviews on both Amazon and YouTube videos, where folks are saying their cases have cracked after only a few days of use. Or the corners crack, etc...

I dont want to throw away $35. Thoughts from anyone who owns one?

Any other suggestions... I like that its "barely there". Thats exactly what i want. Something that is very minimal for the back. I already have my green Smart Cover here waiting for my iPad on Friday.

17. JeffMorse macrumors regular

This was my combo for my 2, and will be the combo for my 3/new as well.

The Belkin case did get a small crack on one of the corners, but that in no way impeded it. It was still very tight and protected the ipad perfectly. Mine too looked brand new the day I sold it.

18. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

If they do crack, give Belkin a call, they are really good about sending out replacements. We got two last year, both cracked and were replaced, the replacements are both still in use without any cracking.

19. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

I can also agree with this. My first "Clear" one cracked and Belkin even sent me a "Smoke" one after I asked if I could get a different color due to the "Clear" not staying clear.

20. scupking macrumors 6502a

21. JeffMorse macrumors regular

22. Icemilk macrumors member

23. highertechnology macrumors 6502a

From the amazon ad of the Snap Shield, it looks like they wont even have it until april.

Date first available at Amazon.com: April 1, 2012

Im looking for something earlier.

24. benna thread starter macrumors regular

25. falcora macrumors 6502