"Bendgate" video = Apple banning media outlet

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by danakin, Oct 1, 2014.

1. danakin macrumors regular

danakin

2. Jesla macrumors 6502

Jesla

Apple's Sharks in Suits are starting the circle......

3. BigHonkingDeal macrumors 6502a

BigHonkingDeal

4. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

So... looks like they got the Gizmodo treatment.

R.I.P. Computer Bild

5. Padmini macrumors 6502a

Publishing fraudulent information with intent to defame doesn't warrant Apple disassociating themselves?

Uh, no, sorry thats basically the definition of when to disassociate yourself.

----------

No it won't. People that have a clue understand why they did this.

People that want to believe in fantasies and also come across this bit of information.....number in the hundreds, I would suspect.

Hopefully this will teach other media outlets that truth is more important than click-bait blitz...jumping on a viral trend is despicable, and news media do it for no other reason than average joe gorilla looking backwards wearing loser do....money.

Well, now they just lost out on future click-bait revenue by ever having anything of value to say about Apple again.

6. CEmajr macrumors 601

Excellent. Defamation of the company over this made up "bendgate" forad revenue controversy certainly justifies banning media outlets. They thought they were cashing in but instead they've now been cut off from future ad revenue. Good job Apple.

7. BigHonkingDeal macrumors 6502a

BigHonkingDeal

Have you watched the video? I understand german and I did not see anything unfair in that report...

I'm still getting a 6 Plus too, if AT&T ever ships that is.

8. cynics macrumors G4

Power play by Apple. Do that to them and other tech reviewers will be too scared to do their own bend test.

9. danakin thread starter macrumors regular

danakin

Did they publish fraudulent information or did they just express an opinion on how the device responds to an applied force? If they can demonstrate that a particular device doesn't resist an applied force as well as another device they are well within their rights to form an opinion from it.

I don't believe this publication is some low-brow sensationalistic rag. Even if it was, there's nothing beneficial in shutting them out; quite the opposite, it gives the appearance of being defensive bordering on afraid.

Your fervor is defending the Apple shield is noble if a bit misguided.

10. Sketchr macrumors 6502a

"it must be true, I saw it on a You tube video."

I understand why Apple did this, great that someone finally takes a stand to viral madness.

It's sad when video of deliberately breaking a manufacturer's products is entertainment and somehow is headline news.

11. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Any of these videos using thumbs are fraudulent.

I've noticed Apple hasn't said crap about Consumer Reports' video done in a lab even though CR reported that the Android phones they tested were stronger than the iPhone.

The difference was that, even though the iPhone came out behind on the list, they've got actual numbers to compare instead of just some guy claiming he did the same thing with his hands twice.

12. nouspa macrumors member

Why oh why are everyone bending phones with unnecessary force these days. There is noting scientific about those bare hand "tests" and nothing is gained (except clicks).

13. Padmini macrumors 6502a

No sir, its quite simple. The viral "scandal" is a fraud. An Outright Fraud. This has to be understood.

That means anyone that willfully rides the coattails of it, and does anything other point out the fraud, is liable for a defamation accusation.

I'm not defending Apple. I'm defending reality. Some very disingenuous people perpetrated a fraud...they perpetrated the idea that iPhone is somehow defective and will "bend easily during normal usage." This is called Slander.

So, I repeat, anyone that publishes anything that is anything other than the truth is part of the fraud. Apple will undoubtedly be taking legal action against some parties. This news outlet is not one of them, as they have broken no laws, but they made the choice to piggy back on a fraud for click bait. Now they get what they deserve.

14. danakin thread starter macrumors regular

danakin

I suppose we'll agree to disagree.

15. muggerfugger macrumors regular

muggerfugger

Sad honest truth is, they need apple more than apple needs them.

If you lie, exaggerate, meh to get headlines/clicks, then you deserve it.

16. ThaRagingAsian macrumors 6502

ThaRagingAsian

Bendgate is stupid. I applaud apple for banning sites that take this out of proportion. I have the plus and it's solid as heck.

17. BigHonkingDeal macrumors 6502a

BigHonkingDeal

As I said I am getting an iPhone 6 Plus BUT I am fully aware that I have to make sure that I don't accidentally sit on it.....

A fact is that the device is more fragile than other devices so how can it hurt when this gets pointed out?

18. macjunk(ie) macrumors 6502a

wow!

Apple must be really feeling proud of themselves now! Whether bendgate is a real issue or not....it is not classy of Apple to go around banning media houses. Just shows Apple's arrogance to be honest....

God...can't wait for a game changer to come from a company OTHER than Apple...Will be nice to have some humility at 1, Infinite Loop, California!

19. AdonisSMU, Oct 1, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2014

AdonisSMU macrumors 603

So when people spread misinformation about you, lie about your reliability and dependability to people you do business with and then you be sure not to disassociate yourself with them because that would be arrogance to be honest.....

Why wouldn't Apple want to grant access to media companies hell bent on spreading lies for clicks about them? Try putting yourself in Apple's shoes. It's not just Apple's reputation on the line. It's all of the people who work at Apple reputation's that are on the line.

I don't hang around people who I know have lied about me. I don't expect Apple to do so either.

;)

20. Padmini macrumors 6502a

Because its NOT a fact, its a fraud.

----------

Disagree on what? Reality vs. Fantasy? Fine.

21. BigHonkingDeal macrumors 6502a

BigHonkingDeal

22. jpeg42 macrumors 6502a

jpeg42

What a crybaby move by Apple. Take their ball and run home.

And you Apple white Knights are beyond ridiculous.

23. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Interesting analogy. Lets develop it:

You're playing catch with friends. A new kid approaches and asks if he can join in. You say yes, you all play, he catches the ball. He then destroys it with his knife. Right in front of you.

Do you play with him again?

(BTW: Only thing I learned from the purported "news" video is that "Kaputt" really is a German word :) )

24. hasanahmad macrumors 65816

Face it, when this boils over like every gate issue has in the past for Apple, the Magazine will still be banned, like a whining child looking for hits it purposely bent the phone to show the phone can be bent, when you TRY bending it. When people realise the number of phones which were bent on purpose are more than those bent without purposely bending, Bild will be still out of the coverage and Apple will continue to dominate. The fact that they wrote a letter to Cook suggests a sense of panic because they know they are likely banned for good, if it were any other company, why would the biggest tech magazine in Germany even bother?