Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EW800

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 4, 2012
I am just wondering if this fiasco with the bending issue with the iPhone 6 (whether a legit concern or not) has caused you to change your mind about getting the iPhone 6+ - whether returning it or cancelling an order?

cpnotebook80

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2007
Toronto
I got mine two days ago and its fine. Love it and not switching it.
Unless you are going to physically apply force to see it bends like an experiment, just get a good case and good to go. I had mine in my pocket today walking around the city in my pants and was fine without a case.

Apple might issue a statement if the media takes it overboard, who knows. But time will tell.

abe7333

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2014
I am just wondering if this fiasco with the bending issue with the iPhone 6 (whether a legit concern or not) has caused you to change your mind about getting the iPhone 6+ - whether returning it or cancelling an order?

Yes it has. I no longer think that apple is focussed on quality.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
Hasn't changed my mind.

picture.php

golfdude

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2005
Not in the least, just something you have to be aware of with a large, slim, lightweight phone. Would rather have it lightweight than a sturdy brick. I don't have one yet, but it's growing on me. I love my 6 though, people ask me about it all the time when I am out in public.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
Personally, I think the "Bendgate" stuff is 90% FUD.

Yes, it's possible. Yes, People are FINALLY understanding a little clearer as to why so many large Android devices are plastic. BUT, common sense should be enough to avoid the issue.

That said, every single non-techie I know is freaked out about it. Phone sales aren't going to slow down, but case sales are going to get a huge boost.

2SwiFt29

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2008
Thinner phone. Placing the phone in the front or back pocket for 18 hours or so from what the guy said. Then video comes out of someone "purposely" bending the phone with two hands. What a joke this whole thing has become. Now Android fanboys have another reason to make fun of Apple. Who the hell is going to bend their phone on purpose? Definitely has not changed my mind.

EW800

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 4, 2012
i betchya the iphone 6S is going be be structurally different as a result

Excellent point. It will be interesting to see if this causes/forces any changes to the 6S/6S+.

I have a 6+ on order through Verizon (hoping to get it around 10/3). This issue has not changed my mind, however it will always be back of mind and I will try to be very careful.

I think Apples's credibility has taken a bit of a spanking this week. Hopefully just a bit of a bump in the road.

zetti

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2012
No. I've got my phone and I love it. As long as you take care of it and use a case. You should be fine.

andyACEcandy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2008
Hasn't changed my mind. Still love my 6 Plus. I don't go around trying to bend my phone or sit on it...

If more cases pop up where a user was actually competent and realized that you don't put that much pressure whether in your pocket or in your hands on a malleable aluminum object, had his phone bend... then I'll be worried.

So far, all the cases seem to be user error. Now I'm not saying the structure couldn't be more solid and strong. I'm just saying, I know the way I use my phone... and I'm not worried about me bending it.

*knock on wood*

JSalig

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2010
I'd like to get the Plus but I'm still not convinced Apple didn't just slap on a large screen and call it day. All these hardware/software issues that are popping up seem to indicate they did just that. It all just screams first generation problems. I can wait a year for them to fix what they got wrong and improve upon what they got right.

mjohnjanz

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2014
Yes, it has caused me to reconsider my order for an Iphone 6 plus. Not sure if I will cancel my order or not. Seems like Apple is having many issues lately and I hope it is not due to a return to the practices of the John Scully era, where decisions were made by the Shareholders and the BOD and not the leaders with the vision. We all know what happened during that time frame where too much focus was placed on the bottom line and holding or increasing margins.

After I read the article from the interview of Russell Holly who is a reporter at Geek.com, my concerns were increased. I believe he is being very honest and trying to report something he sees as a real issue that could effect many purchasers. During his review of the phone, he noticed that it also had bent during his review with only light duty use, nothing he could remotely associate with causing a phone to bend. Here is a brief quote from the interview of Mr. Holly:

"This seems like a serious issue that Apple needs to at the absolute least be warning consumers about. Having spent quite a bit of time with many different smartphones, the severity of this issue is unique."

Yes sir, I am concerned.

Note: Some may comment that this is my first post. That's just fine. I am an Iphone user and have been since 2009. I am certainly not a troll. Think what you want. I want to hold Apple accountable to produce a quality product and not a phone that may bend with normal use.

Last edited:

bigmutt

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2010
It's going back

yes, I received my 6+ today ... and I WILL be returning it mostly because of bend-gate.
Also because it's just too damn big to carry in my pants pocket.

Killeroy

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2013
Mt. Holly NJ
I love the sillyness of the new iPhone critics. If you don't like the phone then why did you buy it? If you bought it and don't like it, return it and get a Android phone. People need to realize that there are people on these sites by design to discredit the iPhone. It is almost a business practice anymore. I say you buy what you like and enjoy it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.