Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
UK
Hi, i received an iPhone 3G for Christmas, so i don't know much about them.

Could you kindly tell me the pro's and con's of Jailbreaking an iPhone?

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Another one? Really?

AND in the wrong section.

If you go to the jailbreaking forum you'll find multiple threads with this exact question answered.

sr5878

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
if you need to be told the benefits of jailbreaking, then it probably isnt for you :)

to be honest, i've had an iphone for about a year and jailbroke my old (2g) once... it never lived up to the 'glamor' of jailbreaking so i re-locked it. i've been happy with my phone (and my new 3g) since.

if you really wanna do something constructive with your new phone, i suggest grabbing a squaretrade warranty to protect against accidental damage :)

Aurial

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2008
The only thing that leads me to jailbreak again with each new firmware is Categories. I can't live with my phone without being able to put my apps into folders.

Having a 'Games' folder reduces my springboard from a complete, unmanageable mess of icons which takes me ages to find what I'm looking for, to a pleasant three page joyful experience.

Why oh why can't Apple add this functionality themselves and then I won't have to jailbreak anymore.

koolkeat

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2007
Farmington, UT
Disagree. 99.4% of App Store apps are useless blather (here's looking at you, Pull My Finger).

Cydia offers way more.

lol 99.4%?
you've only found 60 useful apps out of 10,000+?
someone gave up to quickly.
there's hardly been a time that i've thought "it would be awesome if there was an app that did _______" and wasn't able to download it from the appstore.
I've jailbroken, and the only things i really use are winterboard, qik and occasionally PdaNet.
for the average user, and most of the not average users, jailbreaking really isn't worth your time.
i've been jailbreaking since 1.0.1, and i've reached a point where i really have no reason to do it, because there's a better solution now.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
How is it not worth your time? It takes like 3 minutes.

And I was wrong. 99.96%.
There's only 3 apps that rate space on my phone.

ChrisN

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2007
Demarest, NJ
Before the app store and in the early days of the 1st gen I jailbroke my phone and I loved it,so much added functionality but now with the app store I personally find jailbreaking useless. Also, I tried to jailbreak a month ago, it didn't work for me, I couldn't download anything.

ChrisN

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Steve Jobs himself would have a jailbroken phone if he didn't run Apple. Please. He invented a device in his youth that circumvented putting money into payphones and made calls for free. Does that sound like someone who would respect things like end user agreements? lol

I don't jailbreak though. Too much hassle for what you get these days. If Flash started running on a jailbroken iphone with any degree of stability I'd change my tune though. :)

buccsmf1

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2008
i too used to be jailbroken but have since re-locked. just wasnt worth the hassle. i never really found anything on there that was worth all the trouble. i did however nab netshare, if i wouldnt have, i'd unlock for pdanet

notintheleast

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2008
NC
Steve Jobs himself would have a jailbroken phone if he didn't run Apple. Please. He invented a device in his youth that circumvented putting money into payphones and made calls for free. Does that sound like someone who would respect things like end user agreements? lol

I don't jailbreak though. Too much hassle for what you get these days. If Flash started running on a jailbroken iphone with any degree of stability I'd change my tune though. :)

imobilecinema does a decent job on many flash sites. It's not flawless, but its a work in progress.

cjm3113

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2008
What "hassle" are you guys talking about? I'm jailbroken and I don't have any hassle, except that it takes a little longer to restart (good thing I rarely turn my phone off).

How could somebody say that there is nothing you can't get from the AppStore?

SBSettings? That should be part of the Springboard, but it isn't and it cannot be replicated by anything in the App. Store.

The rest has been beat to death, I won't go into all that.

nickspohn

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2007
Being jailbroken gives you many advantages. You can have stuff running in the background. You can have different SMS apps, so if you want to text widescreen. The ability to lojack your iPhone. Etc.

I can go onto a website right now and see where my iPhone is at.

martychang

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2007
If you actually care about downloading files online to your device like movies/PDFs and such you NEED to jailbreak. You have no filesystem access without jailbreak apps. These devices have the potential to act like a full computer but apple won't allow the functions on app store apps. If I could jailbreak this 2nd generation iPod Touch I received for Christmas I would right now..

patdesignsinc

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2008
Here's a quick tip... don't jailbreak. I performed a jailbreak on my 2g several months ago and even though I had plenty of signal, I was periodically (not always) missing calls. People would call me and it would ring and ring on their end before ending up at my voicemail. Something about the jailbreak jacked up the phone functions of the PHONE. Granted, I would rape a goat for the video recorder option, the ability to change my background and icons, the ability to have apps run in the background etc...but I'm not willing to give up the functionality of a phone to achieve this.

notintheleast

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2008
NC
Here's a quick tip... don't jailbreak. I performed a jailbreak on my 2g several months ago and even though I had plenty of signal, I was periodically (not always) missing calls. People would call me and it would ring and ring on their end before ending up at my voicemail. Something about the jailbreak jacked up the phone functions of the PHONE. Granted, I would rape a goat for the video recorder option, the ability to change my background and icons, the ability to have apps run in the background etc...but I'm not willing to give up the functionality of a phone to achieve this.

Jailbreaking has come a long way in the past few months. I suggest you try it again before downing it.

OrangeDog

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2008
Jailbreaking used to be great, now it's just overhyped and doesn't come near living up to the hype.

nickspohn

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2007
Jailbreaking used to be great, now it's just overhyped and doesn't come near living up to the hype.

How so? It will always be the place where we can get stuff for our iPhones that will never be possible on the App Store.

ex8886

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2008

You're wrong.

Jailbreaking is worth it just to get the basic functionality of other phones (video camera, full sms features, mms). The iPhone does all of those things quite well, better than most other phones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.