Benefits of Jailbreaking?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mac., Dec 27, 2008.

1. Mac. macrumors 6502

Hi, i received an iPhone 3G for Christmas, so i don't know much about them.

Could you kindly tell me the pro's and con's of Jailbreaking an iPhone?

2. Poat84 macrumors 6502

Poat84

FTW!!!

3. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Another one? Really?

AND in the wrong section.

If you go to the jailbreaking forum you'll find multiple threads with this exact question answered.

4. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

if you need to be told the benefits of jailbreaking, then it probably isnt for you :)

to be honest, i've had an iphone for about a year and jailbroke my old (2g) once... it never lived up to the 'glamor' of jailbreaking so i re-locked it. i've been happy with my phone (and my new 3g) since.

if you really wanna do something constructive with your new phone, i suggest grabbing a squaretrade warranty to protect against accidental damage :)

5. Aurial macrumors 6502

The only thing that leads me to jailbreak again with each new firmware is Categories. I can't live with my phone without being able to put my apps into folders.

Having a 'Games' folder reduces my springboard from a complete, unmanageable mess of icons which takes me ages to find what I'm looking for, to a pleasant three page joyful experience.

Why oh why can't Apple add this functionality themselves and then I won't have to jailbreak anymore.

6. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

Not Worth It!

:apple:My old iPhone was jailbroken and it bricked no warrenty. Everything you really need is in the app store!:apple:

7. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Disagree. 99.4% of App Store apps are useless blather (here's looking at you, Pull My Finger).

Cydia offers way more.

8. koolkeat macrumors member

koolkeat

lol 99.4%?
    you've only found 60 useful apps out of 10,000+?
    someone gave up to quickly.
    there's hardly been a time that i've thought "it would be awesome if there was an app that did _______" and wasn't able to download it from the appstore.
    I've jailbroken, and the only things i really use are winterboard, qik and occasionally PdaNet.
    for the average user, and most of the not average users, jailbreaking really isn't worth your time.
    i've been jailbreaking since 1.0.1, and i've reached a point where i really have no reason to do it, because there's a better solution now.

9. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

How is it not worth your time? It takes like 3 minutes.

And I was wrong. 99.96%.
    There's only 3 apps that rate space on my phone.

10. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

Before the app store and in the early days of the 1st gen I jailbroke my phone and I loved it,so much added functionality but now with the app store I personally find jailbreaking useless. Also, I tried to jailbreak a month ago, it didn't work for me, I couldn't download anything.

ChrisN

11. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Steve Jobs himself would have a jailbroken phone if he didn't run Apple. Please. He invented a device in his youth that circumvented putting money into payphones and made calls for free. Does that sound like someone who would respect things like end user agreements? lol

I don't jailbreak though. Too much hassle for what you get these days. If Flash started running on a jailbroken iphone with any degree of stability I'd change my tune though. :)

12. buccsmf1 macrumors 6502

i too used to be jailbroken but have since re-locked. just wasnt worth the hassle. i never really found anything on there that was worth all the trouble. i did however nab netshare, if i wouldnt have, i'd unlock for pdanet

13. notintheleast macrumors 6502

notintheleast

imobilecinema does a decent job on many flash sites. It's not flawless, but its a work in progress.

14. cjm3113 macrumors 6502

What "hassle" are you guys talking about? I'm jailbroken and I don't have any hassle, except that it takes a little longer to restart (good thing I rarely turn my phone off).

How could somebody say that there is nothing you can't get from the AppStore?

SBSettings? That should be part of the Springboard, but it isn't and it cannot be replicated by anything in the App. Store.

The rest has been beat to death, I won't go into all that.

15. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Being jailbroken gives you many advantages. You can have stuff running in the background. You can have different SMS apps, so if you want to text widescreen. The ability to lojack your iPhone. Etc.

I can go onto a website right now and see where my iPhone is at.

16. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

what app is that?

op: please search

17. martychang macrumors regular

If you actually care about downloading files online to your device like movies/PDFs and such you NEED to jailbreak. You have no filesystem access without jailbreak apps. These devices have the potential to act like a full computer but apple won't allow the functions on app store apps. If I could jailbreak this 2nd generation iPod Touch I received for Christmas I would right now..

18. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I like the idea of changing my themes, different lockscreens, WiFi/3G/Edge indicators, video camera, wallpaper in the background, SMS, and as Nick mentioned, LoJack for my iPhone...:cool:

19. patdesignsinc macrumors regular

patdesignsinc

Here's a quick tip... don't jailbreak. I performed a jailbreak on my 2g several months ago and even though I had plenty of signal, I was periodically (not always) missing calls. People would call me and it would ring and ring on their end before ending up at my voicemail. Something about the jailbreak jacked up the phone functions of the PHONE. Granted, I would rape a goat for the video recorder option, the ability to change my background and icons, the ability to have apps run in the background etc...but I'm not willing to give up the functionality of a phone to achieve this.

20. notintheleast macrumors 6502

notintheleast

Jailbreaking has come a long way in the past few months. I suggest you try it again before downing it.

21. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

ilocalis

www.ilocalis.com

It's free for 10 days. Then you need to make a 1 time donation of like $7. Whatever 5 euros is.

22. OrangeDog macrumors 6502

Jailbreaking used to be great, now it's just overhyped and doesn't come near living up to the hype.

23. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

How so? It will always be the place where we can get stuff for our iPhones that will never be possible on the App Store.

24. ex8886 macrumors member

You're wrong.

Jailbreaking is worth it just to get the basic functionality of other phones (video camera, full sms features, mms). The iPhone does all of those things quite well, better than most other phones.