Bent ipad. UNACCEPTABLE

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Gooberton, Nov 25, 2018.

1. Dutch apple user macrumors newbie

Dutch apple user

I notice instant 10 days ago. I send apple the ipad already once they told me that they aint see anywrong on the ipad and its not fixable so they ship me the same ipad back. Now Ups ships my ipad to someone els and it was almost lost. So i now return the ipad agian if they stil refuse to repair or send me a new model.

Then i will travel 100km to the nearest Apple Premium store with a ruler and show them the bended ipad. I will not leave before they give me a new one.

This the first device i ever had to send back out of 100 things i bought.

2. ABGMFK, Dec 22, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2018

ABGMFK macrumors newbie

Nobody is forcing you to buy their products. Least of all Apple.

Regarding the comment at the end.. That's what you call business. Quite literally every business out there does that. Businesses need to make money. Without profit there's no business.

I'm not defending apple though. All businesses operate differently but the one common trend is to make money.

You should start your own business and try be full ethical and honest, see how far you get.

3. nippyjun macrumors 65816

So what happened to the OP’s ipad. Did he get a replacement?

4. AndyMacAndMic macrumors 6502a

AndyMacAndMic

There is a difference between 'planned obsolescence' and 'natural life span'.
    The first is illegal in Europe (EU), the second is (of course) not illegal.
    The line between the two can be blurry, but it does not dismiss any company from being ethical.
    While I understand what you are saying, it does not make it right.

5. MacDonaldTrump macrumors 6502

MacDonaldTrump

The manager did step up and offer me a brand new sealed unit. He did mention this was because they were out of stock of refurbished. I was pleased with this. Helped restore my confidence.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 22, 2018 ---
    Awesome

6. slickshal macrumors newbie

how hard is it to add 1mm more of thickness to create a more durable machine? clearly thats not the case because of what's been proven by numerous outlets. but your ok with it? spend 2k on something that is made with inferior materials and breaks easily.. thats why i returned my stuff recently bought from them. dont want the headaches.

and i do own my own business. in my line of work (construction in nyc), honesty is everything. my business is referral based. have not advertised in 10 years because i follow the simple rules of engagement.

thanks Andy for clarifing things also... it doesnt make it right. to each his own.

7. nbourbaki macrumors regular

My ipad 1 was built like a tank. While very slow with too little ram, the battery is at 87% of factory specs and works great with the ancient IOS that it's stuck on. No bends, no damage of any kind. After nearly a decade to be in this shape speaks to the Apple of the past not the present.

8. jimmy_uk macrumors 6502a

jimmy_uk

Your comment is the joke.

Because your happy to receive and keep flawed products then others should be?

Your rationalisation is out of sync with the consumer and more in line with Apples PR department.

9. tongefactor40 macrumors regular

as a construction pro (I'm in same field) you should take a look at the Surface Pro's. Crazy durable and will run standard apps (aka anything Autodesk). I am still on the fence myself as the tablet experience on S Pro isn't great, but the device sure is built well and offers an opportunity for light construction app work when I am away from my more powerful office laptop

10. vmflapem macrumors 6502

I am so happy that I returned my iPad pro 11". It just felt super bendable when I was holding it... I have a 6th gen iPad now and I am super happy with it. I definitely did not need the pro spec because my 15" MBP is doing all the pro stuff. Also this iPad is definitely not bendable as easily.

11. handheldgames macrumors 68000

handheldgames

Replace 'WE' with Jony Ives and I'll agree. Ipad is supposed to be a durable, use anywhere device. The approach to overcharge for making it wafer thin and ongoing excuses from executives is an epic PR fail.

While I was debating an upgrade from a durable 12.9 Gen1 IPP, Apple's 2018 offering is a definite pass.

12. MK500 macrumors member

The Surface Pro May be “durable”, but they have a major reputation of not being reliable. This has been born out anecdotally for me when friends and relatives have bought them. They tend to fail. Just google “surface pro reliability”. It’s nice that they used stronger/thicker materials on the Surface Pro, but I don’t think they are in the same league as Apple for manufacturing and “below the surface” industrial design at all.

I think most of us are frustrated with the new iPad not because Apple makes terrible products, but instead because Apple make mostly incredibly well made and reliable products. When a new model is released at a higher price point with what appears to be a lower quality level — people speak out.

I have been buying Apple products for 30 years and the new iPad Pro is not representative of the hundreds of Apple devices I have purchased. The iPad my new Pro replaced was heavily used for 4 years 6 to 10 hours per day and worked BETTER than the day I bought it due to impressive updates and support. The very expensive Sony Android tablet I bought in Japan was purposely obsoleted within 18 months (no new updates to Android). My average Apple product over 30 years has lasted 4 to 7 years of use. This is a big part of justifying the price.

I returned the new iPad Pro and bought last years model, which is very much in line with Apple’s long standing level of quality. Sometimes even the best company makes a dud. And some duds are pretty; but still duds.
    I could not agree with this statement more. Whoever is driving this “thin is king” mantra at Apple needs to just STOP. Light is critical, thin is not.

13. vmflapem macrumors 6502

So i assume their "research" found that consumers would much rather have a bent ipad than a slightly thicker iPad? Damn, that's definitely some research

14. 1984 macrumors 6502a

Haven't we been collectively saying for years, ever since the emergence of the camera bump, that Apple's obsession with thinness has to stop? I think the statement they made about the bend being normal may be the worst part and needs to be called out. A true Apple fan should be critical when they screw up. The more you let a company get away with the more they will try to get away with in the future and Apple is no exception. Ignoring the issue will only lead to more serious issues down the line.

15. sracer, Dec 23, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
  16. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

17. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

18. jimmy_uk macrumors 6502a

jimmy_uk

Damn, looks curved. Are your asking Apple to replace?

19. tongefactor40 macrumors regular

How long have you had the iPad? This seems slight to me and maybe in tolerance but it is definitely curved; I almost see a twist to it - will be interesting to see how your replacement/tradin goes. Keep us posted

20. dazz87 macrumors 65816

dazz87

Damn no way I’m keeping that

21. The Game 161, Dec 23, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2018

The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Mine was go through EE and not apple so I wouldn't be able to get it replaced anyway and to me it isn't noticeable and it depends on the viewing angle.

It seems fine to me.

I will just keep it as the performance doesn't change anything and unless you are obsessively looking at it you won't really notice any difference or any bending on it. I'm past the 30 days return policy with EE anyway

22. KevinN206 macrumors regular

You can have it thin and still be resilient against bending by using the right alloy and the right reinforcement. The new iPP are literally a sheet of recycled aluminum without much reinforcement. To top it off, they put a freaking hole in the middle of the case - the weakest point for a HOLE. That's like drilling a giant hole through a load bearing beam. Are you serious? To make matters worse, Apple increased the price of the cheapest iPP from $650 to $800 ($150 increase or 23%) and made the newest iPP WEAKER. How is it possible that going from 6.1 mm to 5.9 mm caused it to be MUCH weaker?

Hilarious really.

23. Dutch apple user macrumors newbie

Dutch apple user

Send it back again i also print these pictures and put them with the return box towards apple this second time i send it. Before this 5 days ago they cant find the problem..

I was also planning on buying a imac 27 inc but if this issue aint get solved.. then its sadly the last apple for me
    --- Post Merged, Dec 24, 2018 ---
    From the top

Attached Files:

24. shinseiromeo macrumors 6502

shinseiromeo

What model is that Dutch?

I would also advise you AGAINST buying a new iMac today. The model is going on two years of age without updates. I own the 2017 summer model and it’s the same one being sold today.

25. Dutch apple user macrumors newbie

Dutch apple user

Hey, its de ipad pro 11inch 256gb lte ( cellular) model

When does the new imac comes out?

I send this to apple with pictures so now they cant say they aint see a anything

Attached Files: