Bent iPhone 6+ in Retail Apple Store

markusbeutel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2014
Was in the market for a new phone, heard about bendgate, and decided to head over to the Apple Store in Metrotown (Vancouver/Canada) after work and check out the display models - and the very first iPhone 6+ I handled had a noticeable bend in it...

Not sure how reliable the info is that only "9" people have issued complaints regarding this issue so far.

Took a video - it's really noticeable from the first angle. Anyone else seen this in display models at Apple Stores?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEEmZZXw0ts&feature=youtu.be

markusbeutel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2014
At the end of the video it's probably most noticeable, as from the one angle it seems straight, and then when I flip the phone around, by the buttons, it's definitely not straight - that's where the weak point seems to be.

Last edited by a moderator:

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Well I don't think anyone is denying the iPhone isn't capable of being bent, it's the YouTuber that takes it to the extreme by bending it with his bare hands with force. That's not a normal occurrence. I saw the 4.7" iPhone 6 yesterday at my local Apple store. It had the same bend as the one in your video. Customers hear about the bend and they come into the stores and damage the demo phones. Not unusual. But I do think it's time to bury this dead horse and let people enjoy their phones.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
At the end of the video it's probably most noticeable, as from the one angle it seems straight, and then when I flip the phone around, by the buttons, it's definitely not straight - that's where the weak point seems to be.
I wonder if someone saw the videos and tried to see if they could bend it themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:

markusbeutel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2014
Did you tell a "genius"? It's not good to walk into an Apple store and see bent phones on display.
Genius bar was full - mentioned it to a roaming employee but she didn't seem to understand what I was talking about - apparently not everyone's as informed about bendgate as it would seem based on the internet furor.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
The person in the video needs to clean all that crap off of them self.

[Edit]
Just noticed it was the OP. Sorry but what I said still stands.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Did you tell a "genius"? It's not good to walk into an Apple store and see bent phones on display.
What's the point of that? Yesterday I was at the Apple store and they were playing the video of the guy on YouTube bending the iPhone 6 Plus (Via Apple TV) so they aren't trying to hide anything. Also while you do make a point, if you take one defective phone off the table, replace it with another, then another rude customer will come and bend that one.

markusbeutel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2014
LULZ i know right. another post trying to ride the bendgate fame to generate views on youtube..
Lol I don't care about YouTube hits - I don't even have any other videos uploaded to that account - YouTube is just the fastest way to get that video up and running and accessible on the forum.

But if you give me your email address, next time I'll just send the video to you and your friends if you'd prefer.

cfedu

Suspended
Mar 8, 2009
Toronto
Toronto and now Vancouver. Apple should ban iphones sales to Canada, because the cold might be affecting them or Canadians are trouble makers;)

Blame Canada:mad:

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Genius bar was full - mentioned it to a roaming employee but she didn't seem to understand what I was talking about - apparently not everyone's as informed about bendgate as it would seem based on the internet furor.
Uh, every employee should've been knowledgeable about the bend news. Apple officially put out a statement yesterday and I talked with the manager at the Apple store yesterday. They are all aware of it.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
Uh, every employee should've been knowledgeable about the bend news. Apple officially put out a statement yesterday and I talked with the manager at the Apple store yesterday. They are all aware of it.
While you might be right that is not something that you can state as a fact.

markusbeutel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2014
What's the point of that? Yesterday I was at the Apple store and they were playing the video of the guy on YouTube bending the iPhone 6 Plus (Via Apple TV) so they aren't trying to hide anything. Also while you do make a point, if you take one defective phone off the table, replace it with another, then another rude customer will come and bend that one.
No worries - I've got a messy job :p. And you make a good point, I kind of feel like people will now start trying to bend the phone while 'testing' it out.

cfedu

Suspended
Mar 8, 2009
Toronto
What's the point of that? Yesterday I was at the Apple store and they were playing the video of the guy on YouTube bending the iPhone 6 Plus (Via Apple TV) so they aren't trying to hide anything. Also while you do make a point, if you take one defective phone off the table, replace it with another, then another rude covert Samsung operative will come and bend that one.

Fixed that for you.

On a serious note, I hope people are not breaking the display phones. If they are I hope apple has them arrested. I'm sure there is surveillance footage and criminals are dumb, They will come back and do it again.

PS: I'm in no way saying the OP bent the Phone

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
While you might be right that is not something that you can state as a fact.
It's fact but I wasn't completely clear. The manager said they were all aware of it.

----------

Fixed that for you.

On a serious note, I hope people are not breaking the display phones. If they are I hope apple has them arrested. I'm sure there is surveillance footage and criminals are dumb, They will come back and do it again.

PS: I'm in no way saying the OP bent the Phone
Well sadly that's society for you. They stress test the demos before they buy. Not necessarily to purposely jack the product up out of malicious intent, but rather to see how durable something is. That's typical of many customers in different types of products.

nippyjun

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2007
Man, I don't know. This place has always had it's share of zealots who scream troll every time someone dares post anything faintly critical of Apple but it has been horrible since the 6 and 6+ came out.

Like team sports, when the opposing team comes to town with the best team it's ever had the fans of the home team do what they can to help the opposing team lose.

The iPhone 6's are the best yet and android fans are extremely jealous. That's the bottom line.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
All the Beats headphones on display I tried out at Target were broken. But then magically the pair I bought that hadn't been subject to the whims of every dork who goes into an electronics section worked and hasn't had any problems.

Freaking magic.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
Like team sports, when the opposing team comes to town with the best team it's ever had the fans of the home team do what they can to help the opposing team lose.

The iPhone 6's are the best yet and android fans are extremely jealous. That's the bottom line.
Clearly any release brings out the trolls and their empty little posts, but a huge number of the attacks are aimed at "normal" posters. It's really kind of annoying.

fmcarv

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014
Bent iPhone 6+ in Retail Apple Store

Still don't understand who has claimed the iPhone 6 and 6 plus were unbendable....?

Any phone bends according to the Consumer Report latest test.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.