Bent iPhone 6+ in Retail Apple Store

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by markusbeutel, Sep 26, 2014.

1. markusbeutel macrumors regular

Was in the market for a new phone, heard about bendgate, and decided to head over to the Apple Store in Metrotown (Vancouver/Canada) after work and check out the display models - and the very first iPhone 6+ I handled had a noticeable bend in it...

Not sure how reliable the info is that only "9" people have issued complaints regarding this issue so far.

Took a video - it's really noticeable from the first angle. Anyone else seen this in display models at Apple Stores?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEEmZZXw0ts&feature=youtu.be

2. markusbeutel, Sep 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2014

markusbeutel thread starter macrumors regular

At the end of the video it's probably most noticeable, as from the one angle it seems straight, and then when I flip the phone around, by the buttons, it's definitely not straight - that's where the weak point seems to be.

3. HenryDJP macrumors 603

Well I don't think anyone is denying the iPhone isn't capable of being bent, it's the YouTuber that takes it to the extreme by bending it with his bare hands with force. That's not a normal occurrence. I saw the 4.7" iPhone 6 yesterday at my local Apple store. It had the same bend as the one in your video. Customers hear about the bend and they come into the stores and damage the demo phones. Not unusual. But I do think it's time to bury this dead horse and let people enjoy their phones.

4. richpjr, Sep 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2014

richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

I wonder if someone saw the videos and tried to see if they could bend it themselves.

5. accountforit macrumors 6502a

Did you tell a "genius"? It's not good to walk into an Apple store and see bent phones on display.

6. markusbeutel thread starter macrumors regular

Genius bar was full - mentioned it to a roaming employee but she didn't seem to understand what I was talking about - apparently not everyone's as informed about bendgate as it would seem based on the internet furor.

7. brand macrumors 601

brand

The person in the video needs to clean all that crap off of them self.

[Edit]
    Just noticed it was the OP. Sorry but what I said still stands.

8. HenryDJP macrumors 603

What's the point of that? Yesterday I was at the Apple store and they were playing the video of the guy on YouTube bending the iPhone 6 Plus (Via Apple TV) so they aren't trying to hide anything. Also while you do make a point, if you take one defective phone off the table, replace it with another, then another rude customer will come and bend that one.

9. markusbeutel thread starter macrumors regular

Lol I don't care about YouTube hits - I don't even have any other videos uploaded to that account - YouTube is just the fastest way to get that video up and running and accessible on the forum.

But if you give me your email address, next time I'll just send the video to you and your friends if you'd prefer.

10. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

Toronto and now Vancouver. Apple should ban iphones sales to Canada, because the cold might be affecting them or Canadians are trouble makers;)

Blame Canada:mad:

11. HenryDJP macrumors 603

Uh, every employee should've been knowledgeable about the bend news. Apple officially put out a statement yesterday and I talked with the manager at the Apple store yesterday. They are all aware of it.

12. brand macrumors 601

brand

While you might be right that is not something that you can state as a fact.

13. markusbeutel thread starter macrumors regular

No worries - I've got a messy job :p. And you make a good point, I kind of feel like people will now start trying to bend the phone while 'testing' it out.

14. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

Fixed that for you.

On a serious note, I hope people are not breaking the display phones. If they are I hope apple has them arrested. I'm sure there is surveillance footage and criminals are dumb, They will come back and do it again.

PS: I'm in no way saying the OP bent the Phone

15. HenryDJP macrumors 603

It's fact but I wasn't completely clear. The manager said they were all aware of it.

----------

Well sadly that's society for you. They stress test the demos before they buy. Not necessarily to purposely jack the product up out of malicious intent, but rather to see how durable something is. That's typical of many customers in different types of products.

16. nippyjun macrumors 65816

Like team sports, when the opposing team comes to town with the best team it's ever had the fans of the home team do what they can to help the opposing team lose.

The iPhone 6's are the best yet and android fans are extremely jealous. That's the bottom line.

17. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

All the Beats headphones on display I tried out at Target were broken. But then magically the pair I bought that hadn't been subject to the whims of every dork who goes into an electronics section worked and hasn't had any problems.

Freaking magic.

18. tonyy macrumors 6502a

tonyy

Wouldn't be surprised if some ass hat went in and tried to bend it.

19. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

20. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

Clearly any release brings out the trolls and their empty little posts, but a huge number of the attacks are aimed at "normal" posters. It's really kind of annoying.

21. brand macrumors 601

brand

Again I am not saying that you are wrong but all that manager can speak for is his local store so you can not pass it off as fact.

22. cynics macrumors G3

Hahah are you lying or really that dumb? Find a paid account before calling foul.

23. bhags8 macrumors 6502a

24. fmcarv macrumors 6502

Bent iPhone 6+ in Retail Apple Store

Still don't understand who has claimed the iPhone 6 and 6 plus were unbendable....?

Any phone bends according to the Consumer Report latest test.

25. johnparjr macrumors 6502a

johnparjr

Last year people would scratch the phone on purpose this year they try to bend the phone on purpose