Bent Iphone 6

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by oldtrance, Dec 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oldtrance macrumors newbie

So I took out my phone from its otter case today which it has been in since I bought it back in September (because I look after things I spend $1200 on) and noticed its bent under the volume button,
    Ive read some posts on this forum that have really annoyed me because i have never sat on this phone or dropped it or anything and its bent, so that means it has bent under normal use, you know like having a phone in your front pocket, now I don't wear tight jeans for one I'm to old to follow hipster trends and to fat and the other is the fact I live in a sub tropical climate so its to damn not, most of the time this phone has been in the pocket by my knee on my board shorts or in a shirt pocket on my chest while at work.
    anyway here is the picture

Attached Files:

2. noupf, Dec 5, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2014

noupf macrumors member

yes, it appears you bent your phone. Pay more attention to the things your doing with it in your pocket would be my suggestion. They dont bend on their own

3. iososx macrumors 6502a

iososx

It's important to remember iPhones, especially the 6 series are rather fragile. It's a characteristic of Apple's obsession with thin phones. Exacerbated by a thin aluminum shell it's not a problem, just a fact.

My iPhone 6 Plus is warped despite the fact I treat it very gingerly. Using special tools we have at work, I've had success straightening it. Far from perfect, at least I've reduced how noticeable it was.

No point in replacing it, they're all fragile. The year will go fast and I'll replace it with the next new iPhone. Apple has learned it's lesson, even though they'll never admit it. I'm confident next year's will be built better.

4. oldtrance thread starter macrumors newbie

obviously they bend under normal use though, what exactly is the point in a mobile phone you can't keep in your pocket for fear of bending it?
    I just hope they replace it so I can sell it, I love apple products I advice everyone who asks me about computers to buy a mac but this is just ****

5. jpeg42 macrumors 6502a

jpeg42

Apple screwed up. Take it in and make them replace it. Most people are having good luck unless it looks obvious it was intentional.

6. oldtrance thread starter macrumors newbie

No replacement from apple, he said i must have put force on it to bend it because "the few" he has had back what are bent everyone admitted to sitting on them (probably ********), is there anything I can do from here I'm a bit annoyed about it because I've been really careful with cases and protectors on it and for it to bend so easy has really left a sour taste in my mouth with apple.

7. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

It's honestly not worth getting into this here. I know four people that are going to get into this thread and rip you a new one as soon as they read it.

Take it into Apple. how them your case. Tell them how careful you are (the truth, right?). I have heard that they take care of most, if not all, incidents that don't show clear signs of abuse.

----------

Take it to another Apple, or the same one when a different Genius on staff. You are always going to be at the mercy of the guy looking at your phone, regardless what you are bringing it in for.

8. kingofwale macrumors 6502a

kingofwale

so Apple refused to replace it?

Total BS, show them your Ottobox case, as to speak to an manager.

There is no way you should take this BS. a phone should NOT bend so easily, despite what some fanatics might say here

9. oldtrance thread starter macrumors newbie

some internet apple soldier can rip all he wants not like Im going take what some forum gimp says to heart. at the end of the day its bent from being in my front pocket, if people want to stick up for apple for a product that bends in your front pocket because you might have lifted your leg up to far then fair enough, I just wanted to get it out there so people know that these phones bend by using them, and see if anyone else has had luck with a return.

----------

I spoke to a manger he said before he even took it that it was my fault and id most probably have to pay, when he came back he wanted $400 so I made a big scene and left because I was pretty pissed off.

10. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Try another store or call their AppleCare number.

11. thalazy macrumors regular

That stinks.

Sorry to hear that. I am sure if this becomes a bigger issue, a lawsuit may be brewing. Then a resolution will be handed down to you if it isn't done by Apple before hand. We should all be careful with our phones, but if we keep them protected and are mindful of what we have in our pockets, we shouldn't have a bent phone.

12. soundxplorer macrumors member

They also shouldn't bend under normal use. Especially in a case.
    This is a design flaw, and anyone who doesn't think so is simply blinded by brand loyalty.

13. kingofwale macrumors 6502a

kingofwale

can you please explain to me how exactly is OP supposed to do that with a class-leading case as well as carrying it in his front pocket?

Maybe he should've invested in fur padded pockets? Or start carrying a pillow padded purse?

14. JoeyD74 macrumors 6502

Let's face it, these things are fragile. If you keep it in your front or rear pocket while sitting your going to bend it.

15. McDaddio macrumors 6502a

If they bent under normal usage there would be millions and millions of returns.

16. HenryDJP, Dec 7, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2014

HenryDJP macrumors 603

Not a single person I've seen so far is "ripping" into to you or even denied your issue, yet you're already starting name calling. You're losing a lot of credibility here and you just registered a new account. Please read the forum rules here in regards to indirect insults. This place isn't a free for all. :rolleyes:

17. jpeg42, Dec 7, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2014

jpeg42 macrumors 6502a

jpeg42

1) He was responding to another post saying that people would rip into him
    2) Seems like contradicting everything you are saying if you then call the OP a newbie and question their credibility.

18. Jazper macrumors 6502a

You sure you didn't bend it before putting it in your otterbox case? I appreciate that they're easy to bend with normal usage but I can't understand how you managed to bend it with an otterbox on. :S

19. jpeg42 macrumors 6502a

jpeg42

Yeah, this has been a repeated scenario. My guess is bent out of the box or bent putting in/out of the case. Really don't see it happening with the case on.

But the biggest issue here is that Apple is denying the claim. Apple needs to get their **** together and figure out where they stand. They either state there is an issue and in some rare cases this phone will bend and they are happy to give exchanges for these. Or deny all bending claims because their stand is that the phone simply cannot bend without excessive damage to the phone.

20. MacRazySwe macrumors 6502a

I would not settle until I had been given a new replacement iPhone 6!

Everybody knows by now that the iPhone 6 bends without much force being applied. Heck, my first iPhone 6 even came bent from the box on release day. As I talked to Apple on the phone, they asked me to send it in for repair at first. I was MAD. I wasn't going to have a brand new, unused phone repaired. I called again, and was then promised a new phone in store. I went there, opened the new one on the spot (not bent this time) I asked to speak to the manager, explained the time I had wasted, standing in line in the morning, dealing with AppleCare, going back and forth twice to the Apple Store, having had to borrow a car just to get back their in time before closing, paying for fuel et c. In the end, I was given a free Apple Leather Case, as well as a free screen protector. That's customer service for you.

You should be treated equally. You probably, just like me, spent an entire day standing in line to be one of the first to have your hands on the new iPhone 6. You probably spent nearly $1000 on a phone that day, including case/accessories. Beyond phones, you've also probably spent thousands of dollars on Apple computers et c. If Apple still refuses to help you and blame it on you, rather than acknowledging the problem of the iPhone 6-design, I think you should do every thing in your power to cause a scene.

Good god I hope this iPhone 6-bending issue slaps Apple in the face. And yes, I'm a stock-holder. Oh and I am and always have been an Apple-guy, but I admit that Apple are able of doing both right and wrong. We cannot simply accept the fact that phones bend after only having been put into pockets. Even worse, that some of them come bent out of the box.

21. Jayson A macrumors 68000

You're not supposed to use the iPhone 6. It's strictly for display purposes. It's not a mobile phone anymore, it's an art piece. Don't you know you're not supposed to carry this valuable piece of art in your pocket?

I would suggest that you get a replacement, but next time remember to never have it in your pocket and don't bring it with you if you're doing anything that requires movement.

My point is, these iPhones weren't meant to be used, they're just meant to be photographed for advertisements.

My iPhone is not bent because I don't use it. That's the best thing to do.

22. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

And OP, while you're at it, change out your smoke detector battery. That beep sound every 30 seconds is annoying.

23. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I was merely suggesting that it's a waste of your time getting into the "it bent during normal use" argument. There are people here that are set in their ways and feel that a bent phone was an abused phone, end of story. Certainly you are free to do what you wish with your time. You came here and oosted a thread, so I figured you wanted some form of input. From me, you got just that. :)

Have you tried going into another store or into the same one during different hours to see if they would help you? I've read multiple cases here where apple was extremely helpful.

24. jpeg42 macrumors 6502a

jpeg42

Are you sure of that? Antennagate didn't cause millions and millions of returns. Yet it was obviously an issue (I personally returned my iphone 4 before I even knew Antennagate existed because it dropped my first day of calls). And Apple fixed the antenna in the 4s so it was a hardware problem. So what about everyone who kept the iphone 4? Did they hold it differently? Did they all just buy (or given free) cases and deal with it?

25. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Each store is allowed some leeway, as it should be. I remember putting my iPhone 4 through the wash the night it launched. I came in expecting to drop $200 and ended up paying $100 because they felt bad for me. If Apple had a hard set stance on $200 replacements, no questions asked, the manager would not have been able to extend the kindness of halving my out of pocket expense. It was my mistake and I should have had to pay the full $200, so it wS simple generosity at its finest.

I'm not saying you're wrong entirely though. I'm just saying that there should be some amount of leeway in cases like this because not all cases are black and white. Of course, allowing keeway also opens doors for the "*******" apple employee that refuses to replace any device that shows even the slightest potential damage due to neglect or abuse. Unfortunately a bend like this can very easily be called abuse.

If apples official stance is replacing every slightly bent phone, what's to keep that going viral on the net and people purposefully adding a slight bend to their device whenever they feel like they want a "fresh" one?

----------

Further, iphone 5 battery issues are just now being considered a "legitimate fault".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.