bent unibody corner and applecare

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by janbar, Sep 6, 2011.

1. janbar, Sep 6, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2011

janbar macrumors newbie

Today my macbook pro dropped off of my bed (around 3 feet) onto carpet flooring and the right corner on the screen casing bent. I baby my computer so this was very upsetting. Thankfully nothing more than the unibody seems to be damaged. I'm not really too concerned as far as cosmetics of the bend, but I'm worried about my applecare. My macbook bro is 14 months old and I purchased the three year applecare plan. I know these dents usually void applecare, but I'm hoping for some luck. I'm worried if my internal battery stops working or something similar that mac won't accept my computer for repairs because of this bend.
    Perhaps it may be worth repairing in case of future repair needs under applecare?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'd appreciate any help, thanks!

2. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Apple care doesnt cover accidental damage which means it will COST if you want to get that replaced.

3. janbar thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I'm aware of them not covering this cost, but I am asking if it is worth getting replaced in fear of future needed repairs.

4. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

guess it depends how much more apple care do you have? maybe you should call up your local apple store and see what they say.

Since it appears to be the screen that is damaged, I would assume everything except for the screen would still be covered.

5. rainking macrumors regular

Can't they blame everything due to the drop?

6. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

it almost looks like you could bend it back in shape ... or have someone else do it for you.

I would not show it to Apple yet ... incase they just void the AC

7. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

oh your right :/
    damn, unless he says he hit it from the side, or someone came at him with a wooden club and only hit the screen in such a manor? blah suckage.

8. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I wouldn't repair it. Just try to bend it back. If the screen is still working I doubt there will be any problems occur if left unattended.

9. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

Adidas Addict

you could always claim back the applecare for the remaining months/years.

10. swedefish macrumors 6502

Is this possible? How would one go about doing it?

11. macheed macrumors newbie

I would leave it as it is and assume that AC will continue on it. Apple tend to be more on your side than not when it comes to issues requiring Applecare support. Bending the metal back again might cause more damage than it fixes and, if you can live with it as it is, then I would just leave it. It would also be going some to fix it such that it looks as good as it did originally. If someone were determined to avoid fixing something under AC at a later date, they could blame the drop but in truth I think that this would be unlikely.

12. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

You'll be fine. Usually with dents bigger than those I recommend that people do NOT go to the apple store but instead call up applecare and have it sent down to texas. I find that they are pretty easy going down there and do better work compared to a face-to-face genii conversation where they can flat out deny you.

But I don't think you'll have any problems either way with this particular dent.

13. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

What would you tell the Texas folks?

14. ndstrenge macrumors regular

I've had amazing experiences with AppleCare and I blame it on my attitude. I personally would walk right into the store, explain how I dropped it, admit my fault and ask them how much it would cost to fix/replace it. I wouldn't even mention AppleCare.

Once you start trying to work the system, they'll make your life very difficult. Just be honest and you'll be treated honestly in return. Most Warranty departments work this way. Be a pleasure to work with and you'll get treated right.

15. janbar thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you all for your help! i found it very helpful. i'm going to try to keep it the way it is because i might do more harm than good and i'll just hope it doesn't void anything. if i find someone that knows more about macs than i do i will ask them to bend it back for me. will go to applecare if any problems occur with a good, hopeful attitude haha :p

how do you do this?

i've always been skeptical about mailing my laptop somewhere, but what have you mailed in for repair? was it a similar issue?

thanks!

16. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Just call 1-800-APL-CARE and explain that you want a refund for your AppleCare. It'll be a pro-rated refund based on how much of the AppleCare coverage is left, but it'll be something back.

jW

17. RayK macrumors 6502

This.

Also I'd say that may not replace the display if it develops problems but I cannot see them voiding the whole computers warranty for that dent. I would recommend calling the 1-800 number tho when you decide to get it serviced tho. The geniuses can bew hit and miss.

18. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Nothing, because they probably won't ask.

I've sent in two MBPs for repair and haven't had any issues. Fedex (who apple uses for repair shipping) is pretty good at handling them. Just make sure your unit gets to an actual fedex location; don't drop it off in a collection box (ever) or at a reseller (unless you must).

19. -tWv-, Sep 6, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2011

-tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

I had a similar bend in my computer and it was no problem. I got a nice genius that actually fixed the problem I had going on with my computer (bluetooth issue) and replaced the entire casing of the computer for free :)

I'm not sure about other's experiences with this type of thing but I had no issue

Like someone else said, you could try and bend it back. Just take a pair of needle-nose plyers (I would put some electrical tape or something on them beforehand so you avoid scratches on the aluminum) and clamp down on the corner and gently bend it back. I did this with mine and it bent mostly back to normal.

20. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Apple cannot just go around voiding people's AppleCare without justified reason.

If you go to them at most they can declare your display to be out of warranty.

21. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Not true. Any damage that was sufficient to cause that could have caused problems inside the computer as well, and they can and will refuse warranty service because of a drop or impact sufficient to bend or dent a computer. I have sent many computers in to Apple, and they actually make us check off a list of things before we do that would result in refused warranty coverage. A dent or bent corner that indicates a drop is the first thing on the list.

jW

22. head honcho 123 macrumors 6502

the bend won't really affect ur applecare.

for example, if ur battery died prematurely or ur logic board/optical drive fails, it will still be covered under applecare.

only accident that voids ur warranty and applecare is liquid damage.

23. tcphoto, Sep 7, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2011

tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

It really is the luck of the draw when it comes to the Genius bar. You will find many cases where they stonewall repairs because of cosmetic damage and equal numbers of "one time courtesy" repairs. If it bothers you that much walk into an Apple Store and just be honest about what happened, that seems to get the best results. If they charge you to repair it, call, cancel AppleCare and refund the balance.

24. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Remind to go into super baby mode when I get my MBP.

25. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

AppleCare is great. I was in the Apple store Monday to get the clutch cover replaced on my 2009 MacBook Pro. It is still under AppleCare. Anyhow, I wanted the genuis to test the battery. The test did not reveal any problems and I started talking about the battery with the genuis and expressing how I was surprised that Apple recommends replacing batteries that at the 80% mark even though Steve Jobs told everyone that the battery will last for 5 years and a 1000 charges. I asked him how much to replace the battery, he stated $129 but then also said that he was going to put a new battery in the MacBook Pro since they were replacing the clutch cover anyways. He told me that he did not want me to come back to the Apple store unhappy in 6 months when I needed to replace the battery.

Little things like this are why I continue to own Apple products.