Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

highscheme

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
Just emailed incase for any news on their product lineup. Will update when they respond :)

Please do! I really can't believe a company in their position hasn't at least posted some mockup for the new Airs and given a release date.

biosci

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Chicagoland, IL
I love the Hard Graft case... Got mine in last week. Yeah, it is a bit expensive, but I wanted it so who cares! All photos here:

11in Hard Graft Sleeve Photo Gallery Link

5153142068_ab3c354ec1.jpg

biosci

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Chicagoland, IL
That looks amazing!!!
Ordering one for sure! :):):)

how were shipping times?

REALLY fast.. You don't pay that much money for shipping for nothing. It ships international from Austria (I think) via UPS express letter (They wrap it up pretty neat too in a custom paper envelope for the sleeve). I had a picture but I couldn't find it... I think it's on the cameras built in memory rather than my sd card.

Tomple

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2008
New York, New York
REALLY fast.. You don't pay that much money for shipping for nothing. It ships international from Austria (I think) via UPS express letter (They wrap it up pretty neat too in a custom paper envelope for the sleeve). I had a picture but I couldn't find it... I think it's on the cameras built in memory rather than my sd card.

Great!

Awesome company :)

bella92108

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006

For that much, I'd expect it to be shipped in a gold encrusted envelope via overnight express. It's a hideous looking (looks like the cut up an old pea-coat and made a case, and not even priced fairly with comparable items.

Sorry, I don't support businesses who try and capitalize on the short-term business when a product is released. Companies like Incase are better because when they release a product they don't try to jack up the price to get early adopters who have limited choices. Shameful way to do business. Guessing that's why there are so many mom and pop case makers that come and go.

I just wish the big guys were a bit quicker to the plate with new cases.

Tomple

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2008
New York, New York
For that much, I'd expect it to be shipped in a gold encrusted envelope via overnight express. It's a hideous looking (looks like the cut up an old pea-coat and made a case, and not even priced fairly with comparable items.

Sorry, I don't support businesses who try and capitalize on the short-term business when a product is released. Companies like Incase are better because when they release a product they don't try to jack up the price to get early adopters who have limited choices. Shameful way to do business. Guessing that's why there are so many mom and pop case makers that come and go.

What your paying for at hard graft is great design and a well made product

i say thats worth the price

biosci

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Chicagoland, IL

I kinda agree with you on the price. It really isn't reasonable but it's something that did catch my eye and I liked it so I was willing to pay the premium. But we all do that to an extent. I mean, look at cars, or even the meals we eat daily! Why pay 10x the cost for breakfast somewhere when it costs practically nothing to have the same breakfast at home!! Haha I cut corners in other places like eating out so I can afford my tech crave! For me, with Hard Graft, it was just their crazy pricing that irritated me but I'm very happy with the case.

bella92108

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
I kinda agree with you on the price. It really isn't reasonable but it's something that did catch my eye and I liked it so I was willing to pay the premium. But we all do that to an extent. I mean, look at cars, or even the meals we eat daily! Why pay 10x the cost for breakfast somewhere when it costs practically nothing to have the same breakfast at home!! Haha I cut corners in other places like eating out so I can afford my tech crave! For me, with Hard Graft, it was just their crazy pricing that irritated me but I'm very happy with the case.

In the "old days" businesses could only exist if they were very successful. They had to either print catalogs or open stores, both of which took pretty significant capital, so I could understand charging a premium.

Today, with the invent of online commerce, combined with globalization, anyone can rent a garage in SF for $500 a month (SMALL ONE like SFBAGS), or open a little manufacturing line in Hong Kong for $1000 a month and throw up a website for a couple bux a year. This means there's a revolving door of companies. There is little to no buyer loyalty to them, so they overcharge and under deliver, and take advantage of the "I just bought it and the big guys aren't nimble enough to be producing a bag for this yet so I'll buy from anyone at any cost" type of crowd.

I'm all for entrepreneurism, but I draw the line when they cross the grey line into taking advantage of people. Look through threads from previous releases, you rarely see the same names pop up, "companies" get their moment in the spotlight, then disappear... I'd rather buy from names that'll be there, like Crumpler, Timbuktu, Incase, Speck, Sena, etc.

Tomple

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2008
New York, New York
In the "old days" businesses could only exist if they were very successful. They had to either print catalogs or open stores, both of which took pretty significant capital, so I could understand charging a premium.

Today, with the invent of online commerce, combined with globalization, anyone can rent a garage in SF for $500 a month (SMALL ONE like SFBAGS), or open a little manufacturing line in Hong Kong for $1000 a month and throw up a website for a couple bux a year. This means there's a revolving door of companies. There is little to no buyer loyalty to them, so they overcharge and under deliver, and take advantage of the "I just bought it and the big guys aren't nimble enough to be producing a bag for this yet so I'll buy from anyone at any cost" type of crowd.

I'm all for entrepreneurism, but I draw the line when they cross the grey line into taking advantage of people. Look through threads from previous releases, you rarely see the same names pop up, "companies" get their moment in the spotlight, then disappear... I'd rather buy from names that'll be there, like Crumpler, Timbuktu, Incase, Speck, Sena, etc.

You make valid points here, and thanks for backing up your argument. I choose to buy their products mainly because i adore their design. I see now that their prices are high, but i chose to pay them because i am weak when it comes to good design :)

a2applegirl

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2010
Not sure you can lump all small companies together like that. SFBAGS sent me a beautiful sleeve for my 11.6" air that I was able to customize. It was delivered quickly, the workmanship is wonderful on the bag, the shipping was inexpensive and I received personalized customer service. Why is that inferior to a big company like incase, who has the clout to know about apple's plans ahead of time and could have had bags and sleeves ready?

There have always been boutique companies and there always will be. Sometimes handcrafted items and personalized service are worth the price in my opinon. :cool:

Last edited:

Tomple

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2008
New York, New York
Not sure you can lump all small companies together like that. SFBAGS sent me a beautiful sleeve for my 11.6" air that I was able to customize. It was delivered quickly, the workmanship is wonderful on the bag, the shipping was inexpensive and I received personalized customer service. Why is that inferior to a big company at incase, who has the clout to know about apple's plans ahead of time and could have had bags and sleeves ready?

There have always been boutique companies and there always will be. Sometimes handcrafted items and personalized service are worth the price in my opinon. :cool:

This is my arguement as well

i think both sides here can be argued succesfully as bella made some good points as well

bella92108

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
Not sure you can lump all small companies together like that. SFBAGS sent me a beautiful sleeve for my 11.6" air that I was able to customize. It was delivered quickly, the workmanship is wonderful on the bag, the shipping was inexpensive and I received personalized customer service. Why is that inferior to a big company at incase, who has the clout to know about apple's plans ahead of time and could have had bags and sleeves ready?

I love how people always act like they're doing a noble deed supporting the little guys because the big boys are so "evil" ... do you think for a second that, if given the option, SF Bags doesn't WANT to be as big and popular as Incase, or Speck? Of course they do... lol... like when people are so adamant about supporting the mom n pop shops when Walmart comes to town... do you not think they want and envy walmart's size and success? And do you think if they had the opportunity to become big and popular they'd say no because they still want to have the intimate relationship with YOU? Of course not. People are funny.

a2applegirl

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2010
I love how people always act like they're doing a noble deed supporting the little guys because the big boys are so "evil" ... do you think for a second that, if given the option, SF Bags doesn't WANT to be as big and popular as Incase, or Speck? Of course they do... lol... like when people are so adamant about supporting the mom n pop shops when Walmart comes to town... do you not think they want and envy walmart's size and success? And do you think if they had the opportunity to become big and popular they'd say no because they still want to have the intimate relationship with YOU? Of course not. People are funny.

So what is your point? That SFBAGS wants to be Walmart?:cool::p Big does not mean better. Small does not mean cheap and imported either, And not all companies want to get big, I think you are mistaken on that.

I don't want intimate relations with my bag salespeople. :cool: I simply want a unique, high quality bag for my air, and I would like good customer service if possible.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
Why are people hating on hard graft :(
i think the case looks beutiful

too each his own i guess

To me it looks like the lining of an old coat. Ya know, when the seams give out this stuff starts falling out.

Or the stuff they insulate heating pipes with.

Asbestos? :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.