Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

micmacmoe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2016
Oregon
For the 2016 13" MacBook Pro + TouchBar, there are
  • 3 processor options : Core i5 2.9GHz, Core i5 3.1GHz (+$100), Core i7 3.3GHz ($300)
  • 2 RAM options : 8GB, 16GB (+$200)
  • 3 SSD options : 256GB, 512GB (+$200), and 1TB (+$600)
Yes they are limited options, but that's still 18 different configurations. I'm assuming the most popular option (by sales volume) would be the default option (no upgrades), but what would be the configuration that makes most sense for the 50th percentile users (browsing, light media editing, video watching, light gaming, 3-year future proofing)? <insert standard disclaimer here about the "right" configuration depends on personal usage, yada yada yada>

The RAM upgrade makes easy sense, the SSD options also to some extent (given it is a non-removable SSD), but the CPU upgrades are harder to judge - haven't seen benchmarks yet comparing all 3 processor options.

(Post edited to include SSD options)

Last edited:

iasix

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2016
I got the 3.1 GHz + 16GB 13".

No such things as a 'best' configuration - completely depends on your needs.

Reactions: ocgirl

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
Don't forget about storage. I got the 2.9 with 16gb RAM and 512gb SSD

Last edited:

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
The RAM or the SSD size. To be totally honest, everything you mentioned will be just fine for a base model assuming you can get by with 256GB storage.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I went for the 'top spec' stock 13" - so essentially the base model with a SSD upgrade to 512GB. Ideally I would've chosen 16GB RAM but just couldn't quite afford it and prioritised storage space over RAM. Hopefully it will still last a good 4 years or so, I think it should do just fine. My usage isn't that demanding really - Xcode projects, small FCPX projects, and Photoshop and Illustrator along with more mundane everyday tasks - and my 2011 MBP with 8GB RAM can still easily cope performance-wise so I'm not too worried.

I think generally the CPU upgrades are never brilliant value for money, obviously depends on your usage but I can't see it making a massive difference.

Nitefly

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2016
If you don't need the storage space then ram is the sensible option - just for the sake of future proofing.

micmacmoe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2016
Oregon
On Apple store it doesn't appear that MBP with Touch Bar offers upgradeable storage - only processor and RAM upgrades. SSDs can be upgraded only for non touch bar model, and the 15" model. Am i mistaken?

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
On Apple store it doesn't appear that MBP with Touch Bar offers upgradeable storage - only processor and RAM upgrades. SSDs can be upgraded only for non touch bar model, and the 15" model. Am i mistaken?
The 'base' model doesn't appear to have storage as a BTO option, but it's a bit misleading. The higher specification stock 13" with Touch Bar's only difference is the SSD upgrade to 512GB, and then that is able to be custom configured up to 1TB. So although it doesn't appear you can upgrade the storage of the base model with Touch Bar, you can really, but you just have to go to the higher stock model as opposed to it being an option at purchase.

Hope that makes sense...

Reactions: melman101

micmacmoe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2016
Oregon
The 'base' model doesn't appear to have storage as a BTO option, but it's a bit misleading. The higher specification stock 13" with Touch Bar's only difference is the SSD upgrade to 512GB, and then that is able to be custom configured up to 1TB. So although it doesn't appear you can upgrade the storage of the base model with Touch Bar, you can really, but you just have to go to the higher stock model as opposed to it being an option at purchase.

Hope that makes sense...

Ah i completely missed that, thank you for explaining. I'll update my original post to include SSD as an option - looks like most of the responders on this thread have pointed out the SSD upgrade to be a valuable option.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I haven't purchased the new model but when I was looking for my 2014 13" I prioritised CPU as the lowest priority to bump up as they are all dual-core on the 13" anyways . That's why I got a 2.8 i5 with 16GB and 1TB.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
CPU won't matter and if you don't know how much storage and ram you need it probably doesn't matter what you buy!!

Xrayspectacles

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2016
[doublepost=1480601096][/doublepost]I think I'm leaning toward the Core i5 3.1GHz with 512GB SSD and 16 RAM. Anyone want to guess how the battery life will compare to the two other options? (Core i5 2.9GHz, Core i7 3.3GHz)

I read that the i7 is anecdotally getting better battery life.

ocgirl

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2011
France
I plan on picking up a 13", 512 Gb, 2.9 CPU, 8Gb.
If the 16 GB ram (but would i really need it to surf the web and do some light pictures editing ?) if it is available in store (not sure since it's BTO) to future proof the laptop on a 5 years timeframe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.