Best 8GB RAM for 2011 MBP 13?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vampireszombies, Nov 18, 2011.

1. vampireszombies macrumors 6502

Hi, Theres probably many threads on this but I was wondering if anyone can tell me what RAM to buy from like newegg etc. thats quality and cheap.

I'm going to buy a MBP 13 soon and don't really want to drop $150 from Apple for it. I watched on youtube how easy it was to install these and it seems the smart way to go.

Also, what tools do I need to open the MBP without damage.
    Pointers, links and tips would also be appreciated.

Thank You.:D

2. tanderson11 macrumors member

you can watch youtube videos on how to install it, very simple and easy.

buy practically any 8gb set. it will be sufficient. there wont be enough difference for you to notice the different types of ram. newegg has tons of deals for ram from 35-50 bucks.

3. miker2209 macrumors regular

miker2209

I'd say Corsair or Crucial, Corsair is cheap and is quite stable im using it atm as well.
    Like u say, changing the ram is as easy as it looks u just need a small 4 edge screwdriver ( just make sure u put the bolts back to their exact place, they may look the same but trust me they aren't )
    and be gentle :)

4. mobi macrumors 6502

mobi

+1 for Crucial...been using them for 10 years with zero issues or failures.

5. vampireszombies thread starter macrumors 6502

aweome, thanks guys.:)

Arent the screws "special"? where can i buy the screwdriver?

6. Titanium81 macrumors 6502a

Titanium81

7. trikky macrumors regular

May we ask then, why you didn't try searching for them instead of starting a whole new one? ;)

The biggest tip is to read the manual. It's amazing what you can accomplish when you do that, because it has step-by-step directions. So easy that even someone who doesn't know how to use a search tool can do it. :D

'welcome.

----------

I've bought RAM from them once. Was happy with the price (and the quick refund when the RAM price dropped before I even received my order in the mail).

I'd buy from them again.

----------

Good thing that you're getting a new computer, because apparently the "search button" is broken on your current system. :eek:

8. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

OWC is a little bit pricey but the quality is top-notch. I like Crucial, personally, simply because the quality is equivalent but the price from Crucial is a bit lower.

9. miker2209 macrumors regular

miker2209

No, they're just ordinary + screws :D

10. vampireszombies, Nov 18, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2011

vampireszombies thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. Your not a complete ass. Have fun helping others :) I'm sure they'll appreciate it just as much.

Also, Isn't this is what forums are for? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe its for people who want to ask a question and for people who WANT to answer can answer if they choose. Not a place designed for "trikky" which there are only questions he/she liked to see at the top all the time.
    I dont want to see an old forum about RAM because apparently stuff changes all the time. Maybe something better came out? But really, thanks for the help, I'm sure you contribute so much to the community.

11. oursmartweb macrumors newbie

Best Ram

I have a 2010 Sept Macbook Pro and I slapped 8 GB of Muskin; and a year later it's fast as ever. :)

12. vampireszombies thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks! :D

13. trikky, Nov 18, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2011

trikky macrumors regular

Firstly, if you're going to try insulting someone, you should learn to spell a little better. It's "you're", not "your".

That's true, but the very nature of forums is that you will get a wide variety of responses. In this case, I decided that rather than spoon feeding you the answer, I would give you the tools to help yourself.

Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for life.

The manual? RAM changing starts on page 45 of mine. Google? I hear it's a little helpful for getting information. Sorry if I didn't hand you everything gift wrapped.

Of course, let's not forget the fact that by actually putting in a little effort on your own, you'll get an (often more detailed) answer a lot faster. What a unique concept, huh?

You would be right, but of course if you had taken a minute to look at the search tool, you would have seen that there's the ability to filter out results by their age, thereby eliminating those out of date posts.

Here...let me help you with your next insult. Go ahead and call me a 'wanker'. I'd suggest you could search for some more creative ones, but I know you don't like that. :D

14. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

15. vampireszombies thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you trikky, for that.
    Anyways, Thank you all for your fast answers, I decided to go with Crucial.

Now, so I wont start a new thread, since it seems almost everyone gets told off in someway for not searching themselves.
    Here is another question:

Can I install the 8GB RAM as soon as I unpackage the MBP? Without first turning it on with the preinstalled 4GB?

Thanks again ;)

16. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

This ^

So you KNOW there are a bunch of threads but posted anyway?

Just asking . . .

;)

17. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

No, make sure the MBP is on while you remove the cover and replace the RAM.

Personally, I agree with the others who are flaming you for not searching first and wasting peoples' time with a redundant thread. Try searching to see if the answer I gave above is correct or not.

18. zaxdude macrumors regular

There are several threads very recently in the last week related to memory on the MBP's. I don't know how that could be consider "old" information at all.

You would have been equally served had you posted in one of those threads instead of creating yet another one. You would have either gotten the answer you needed by reading those threads, or by a reply in the existing thread once you asked for additional info there.

Just consider well before creating a new thread is really any of us ask...it creates clutter in the current threads and while searching for information.

19. trikky macrumors regular

...especially when they write that they know there are lots of existing threads already, but couldn't be bothered looking them up first.

I would suggest that this is unadvisable as you want to be sure your base system is operating correctly.

You're welcome.

20. fatalle macrumors newbie

I got mine from Crucial as well as a SSD drive. Can't say any bad things about them.

21. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

If you want reasonably-priced RAM from a retailer I recommend Other World Computing. Sure, you can get somewhat cheaper RAM when sales are happening at Newegg and similar online retailers. But OWC specializes in Macs so the RAM just works.

I checked out RAM at Newegg during a recent sale and while the price was attractive I was put-off by user reviews detailing problems with some MacBook Pro models. I don't have the time nor the inclination to bother with returning defective RAM.

Stick with the OWC branded RAM for the best price. I have upgraded numerous Macs owned by me and clients and I have never had a problem with OWC RAM.

22. Titanium81, Nov 19, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2011

Titanium81 macrumors 6502a

Titanium81

To the people who upgraded to 8GB Ram from CRUCIAL. Did you get the 1.5V or 1.35V kit? Any difference? They both cost the same.

8GB Kit (4GBx2)
    DDR3 PC3-10600 • CL=9 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1333 • 1.5V • 512Meg x 64 • • Part #: CT1895171

8GB Kit (4GBx2)
    DDR3 PC3-10600 • CL=9 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1333 • 1.35V • 512Meg x 64 • • Part #: CT2336212

It is safe to say the 1.5V would give marginally better performance and the 1.35V would give marginally better power savings?

UPDATE:

I did some searching on the net and found this... "1.35V uses at least 15% less power than standard voltage (1.5V) DDR3"

23. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

For every poor review on Newegg, there are probably at least 10 others who are perfectly satisfied and have had no problems. And since OWC doesn't even bother to put up user reviews, you have no proof that others haven't had problems with OWC branded RAM either.

24. szolr macrumors 6502

+2 for Crucial. :)

25. SayMilesAway macrumors regular

SayMilesAway