Best AirPrint Printer for iOS 12?

Discussion in 'iOS 12' started by HappyDude20, Dec 17, 2018.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68030

HappyDude20

hi,

For the past 7 years I’ve owned an HP wireless printer, however the wireless feature only works upon first connecting the printer to an iMac or MacBook and downloading the necessary driver. The downside is that the driver for this wireless AirPrint printer stopped providing drivers past Yosemite. And the wireless feature only works if the printer is connected to a WiFi network; which means I can’t take my wireless HP printer anywhere away from my house and expect it to wirelessly print.

Considering at the moment I only own iOS devices, I’m wanting a printer that supports AirPlay out of the box and doesn’t need a desktop computer to set up.

Ideally, a LASER printer, though not completely needed.

2. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

Any laser that says AirPrint in the specs will meet the need. I have a Brother 3170 and HP 401. Both work with AirPrint but there are many more like it.

3. Feenician, Dec 17, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2018

Feenician macrumors 601

Feenician

If you're looking for just a solid B&W laser and solid color scanner I can't recommend the Brother L2550 enough. Cheap to run and totally reliable AirPrint out of the box. In 20+ years of printer ownership it's the only one that hasn't made me want to tear my hair out.

I'm not 100% sure what you mean here. The printer does have Wifi Direct(ad-hoc wifi between printer and device) and I think there are some apps for that. I don't think AirPrint supports that directly however. The Brother iPrint&Scan software also supports Google Cloud Print but If you're on the road, physically with your printer, you would still have to connect it to a wired or wireless network to use it anyway (unless you're using a Wifi Direct capable app), at which point you may as well use that network on your iPhone/iPad and AirPrint locally.

4. tarsins macrumors 6502a

tarsins

Very happy with my HP Envy 5540. In this house are 4 iPhones and 4 iPads all on iOS 12 and they all print fine to it. Also prints and scans great from my iMac and MacBook Pro. No drivers have been downloaded, it just worked straight out of the box. I believe you can print to it remotely but I’ve not tried it. It’s not a laser but the quality is excellent.

5. achappy macrumors member

achappy

I recently picked up a Brother HL-2350 and it's a great little printer. Easy to setup. Just connect to WiFi and you are done.

6. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68030

HappyDude20

Can I add the WiFi password from the printer itself? As stated, I don’t have a laptop or desktop at the moment.

This looks promising. Definitely a front runner at the moment.

My current HP laser printer prints so many pages and I’ve only had to replace the toner once since I’ve purchased it 7 years ago and it’s great. I managed to get it to print wireless yesterday after discovering the printer itself creates a WiFi network of its own and anyone can simply
    Connect to it and start printing. The downfall is once you’re connected to the printers WiFi network that your device is not connected to the internet so whatever i plan on printing should be loaded beforehand. Not the end of the world but to print I have to disconnect from my
    Main WiFi and connect to the printers WiFi.

7. achappy macrumors member

achappy

Yeah, you can add it from the display of the printer.

8. Agent2015 macrumors 6502

Agent2015

I have had excellent experience with the Epson WorkForce line previously a WP-4530 and currently a WF-6530. Epson's excellent iPrint app works very well with iOS devices. All configuration can be done via the console on the printer. They are economic and high quality ink jet printers with all-in-functions. Great to be able to do anything from printing to scanning from my iPhone or iPad (and of course from macOS, Windows, Linux).

9. willmtaylor, Dec 18, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2018

willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

We grew weary of thirsty and unreliable Epson, Canon, and HP inkjets.

We couldn’t be happier with our Brother laser printer/scanner.

10. MacintoshDan macrumors 6502

My Epson has worked pretty well with both iOS and my iMac.

11. niji Contributor

niji

in the early days of Air Print, it was Brother.
    but now its Epson.
    quality, ease, automatic settings, compactness, firmware updates, ink price, per piece cost. Epson wins everyone of them.
    My Brother is relegated to churning out draft quality black&white and A3 for quick web prints. its a huge MFC. A virtual tank and will last longer than the ink cartridges that are increasingly more and more difficult to find the correct size for (its a 3 year old printer).

12. DoubleFlyaway macrumors 6502a

DoubleFlyaway

I’ve got the 4650 and am very happy with it. It is seamless.

13. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I just see no upside in pouring money into an inkjet printer any more. Simply not worth it for me & mine.

14. cynics macrumors G4

Although that is what I still use (HP Photosmart) I couldn't agree more.

I can't stand buying ink, using the printer once and coming back 2 months later and see that I need more ink. Then I make the trek to wal mart to by black and 3 colors I don't need but are pretty much required for the cost that is a couple bucks less then a new print (cheap one). I've been tempted to use the Photosmart for scanning and just by a printer for the rare times I print and tossing it when I'm done.

Now that I'm done ranting the old HP Photosmart 5510 I have works great with AirPrint (over the local wifi network) from my Apple devices. I still consider the scanner very good and I can export scans directly to local Macs and PC's in JPG or PDF, or I can import in scans with a Mac or PC in a variety of formats including TIFF.

The software, firmware and driver support from HP has been 'meh' but acceptable enough to make work.

I would consider a new HP. Although my next printer will be purchased based purely on the ink/toner requirements, cost, and longevity.

15. iOZZY macrumors member

Use a Brother HL-L2360 mono laser and an Epson XP-860 Photo Inkjet and both print fine with AirPrint.

Both also have Google Cloud Print.

16. jimmirehman macrumors 6502

I know i'm late to the party here, but I've had an HP ENVY 5530 for about 5 years. HP instant ink, double sided printing, web connected, hp eprint and AirPrint. I pay like $3 a month and never worry about buying ink, i can print from all iOS devices & i can email documents to the printer remotely. It has a flatbed scanner as well. I think i paid like $99 for it at the time.

17. Pspressart macrumors regular

I have an HP M402dw that supports Airprint. I can print to it from my iPad and iPhone and it prints my documents accurately.