Best All in One Printer for MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by USMCJS, Jan 8, 2014.

1. USMCJS macrumors newbie

Just bought a 15" MacBook Pro. Need a good scanner/printer/copier that makes great photos and will work with Mavericks 10.9.1. Any advice. Thanks.

2. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

I would look at the Epson Expression Premium line. I use its predecessor (Stylus NX) and have been very happy with it. The printer should support Mavericks with Apple's drivers. All you would need to do is plug it or search for it on your network, and OS X will take it from there.

3. Beezy253 macrumors 6502

Lately i've been having good luck with Brother Printers.
    I purchased 2 last year (one B&W Laser and one Ink Jet AIO) for my Home Based Business.. Haven't had any issues with either of them... and with being able to cover the Ink Cartridge/Toner Sensors, you really get full use of the Cartridges/Toner.

4. redkamel macrumors 6502

make sure you check what happens when its low on ink. My POS Canon finepix won't scan when its out of ink. It won't print black and white when its out of color ink either. Also, its never really "out of ink" e.g. printing in a poor fashion. It just has "low ink levels", so it won't really push that last paper or something you just need printed for the day.

Get a printer that does what its can no matter what.

5. ecschwarz macrumors 65816

ecschwarz

I'll second the recommendation for Brother's products - they seem to be a little more no-frills, but they also tend to be pretty reliable and don't play the ink game as much. I've only dealt with their laser printers personally (two standalone units and one printer/fax/copier), but I like the ability to cover the sensors on the toner and get a lot more prints with no ill effect. Replacement ink is also reasonably priced.

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

If going with ink jet, get a Canon Pixma. They have great 3rd party ink support, wonderful Apple compatibility with Macs and iOS, and are pretty reliable. If you want a laser jet, I second Brother as the best!

7. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

2nd vote for the Canon Pixma, they are great printer/scanners and of course work well with more than just MBP's...

8. Dyce macrumors member

9. troy14 macrumors 6502a

You mentioned great photos and only one printer comes to mind: Epson Artisan 837.

They are discontinued (replaced by the newer Epson expression premium line) however these older ones are a gem with refilling or using a continuous ink supply system, something you will want to do if printing photos from an inkjet. I'd stay away from Epson 4 color printers because they will not produce "great" photos.

Check out my YouTube review here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kL8kzWC4cxk

10. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

HP PhotoSmart 5520. It's a decent printer/scanner/copier that can be accessed wirelessly or over USB. Buy the XL cartridges to get a lot more prints per cartridge!

11. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

x3 Canon Pixma I love mine. There are so many settings you can chose. My favorite is I can set my printer to go into silent print mode between 9pm and 2am. Color photo printing looks really great. That what sold me on the Canon. Wireless setup was easy. Like the other said they are so great with Apple computers.

12. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

Another here. I buy genuine XL from eBay very cheap and it's rapid quick for an inkjet. Plus iOS support it does all the colour work in the house. 3 year on site warranty glad I never skimped on buying a lesser spec model.

13. marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

EPSON!

I have an Epson Workhorse 845, and it's been a great all in one.

Additionally, Epson support is fantastic, and they will continue to provide technical support when you need it.

14. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

15. kartnite macrumors member

kartnite

Depends on your budget. Also depends on how "heavy" the usage will be.

I had a requirement not too long ago and - following intense research - narrowed my choices to the HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 3545 and Canon PIXMA MG3570.

Went with HP because I was getting a slightly better deal. Also, the cost/availability of consumables played an important role.

I have used HP and Canon before - but where I stay, HP ink cartridges and toners were easy to procure when compared to Canon. Also, price-wise, Canon's ink cartridges were almost 2.5x more expensive than HP (for the same volume/capacity).

I saw both products side-by-side, too... And I'd reckon that the HP looked better. Visually more appealing. (May be I'm saying that because HP was available in black while Canon wasn't!)

Good luck with the purchase!

16. oldhifi macrumors 6502a

oldhifi