best alternative to applecare?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aPple nErd, Sep 9, 2016.

1. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

so, last time around with the iphone 6, it was $99 which seemed reasonable. now its $30 more and i think thats absurd. what's my best alternative for $99 or less?

2. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

3. cardfan macrumors 65816

Didn't see your thread. Swear i looked. But yeah, increased and not covering the main new feature in water resistance? LOL Hello squaretrade..

4. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68040

Lobwedgephil

Well, just screen replacements are only $29 now.

5. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 603

The-Real-Deal82

I don't bother with Applecare as my phone is covered under my home contents insurance anyway. They even handle the repairs for you and it only cost £10 extra for the year.

6. Chargr macrumors regular

Chargr

Wells Fargo Credit Card. $25 you pay for any replacement. Its not monthly charge either.

7. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Out of curiosity do any of these 3rd parties cover everything that comes in the box or just the phone itself? I.e EarPods,charger, charging cable.

8. trnjackie23 macrumors regular

trnjackie23

9. aPple nErd thread starter macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

yeah, so like on my iPhone 6, apple wanted to just replace the screen but i insisted they replace the whole phone because it was clicking in and out. would squaretrade cover the entire phone?

Also, are squaretrade replacements retail packaged iPhones, or refurbs or what?
    --- Post Merged, Sep 9, 2016 ---
    i'm completely new to anything outside of applecare so im not really sure how the others work

10. geoff5093 macrumors 68020

geoff5093

Using your homeowners insurance policy for a phone repair? I imagine there is a catch, like the "claim free" discounts we get here in the States.

11. aPple nErd thread starter macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

so, it looks like squaretrade is actually still more expensive for a 2 year plan... hmm... not sure what i should do. i jst had a bad experience with applecare but it still looks like the best option for me...

12. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 603

The-Real-Deal82

There's never been a catch to my knowledge, just like car insurance when you get a repair that doesn't affect your no claims bonus like a windscreen chip.

13. mizzourah macrumors regular

I use Applecare currently, but in a previous phone, I used squaretrade. They do not have an inventory of phones, retail packaged or refurbished. They have you have the phone repaired/replaced either by mail with apple or with the genius bar and then reimburse you for the fee. They will do that up to the value of the phone. So if you have an 849 phone and you pay a 325 out of warranty replacement, you can do that essentially twice within the plan.

Now that my have changed since the last time I used them, but that's my general understanding of how it works.

14. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

Applecare+ all the way. I am on my 2nd replacement 6+ due to accidental broken screen. Yes, I have to pay $79 each time, but I get a phone looks and work exactly like new one with brand new battery. So when I want to sell it, it will be more attractive to new buyer with newer battery than 2 years old battery on a more worn out case and display.
    By the way, my 1st brand new 6+ touchID is not very sensitive. I live with it though it was what it was. But both my 1st and 2nd replacement 6+ touchID sensitivity got progressively better, and 2nd replacement touchID even work fairly good with slightly damp finger, which would be no-no for my 1st brand new 6+.

15. The Lions Den macrumors regular

The Lions Den

Wait what? Would you expanding on this a bit, I have a Wells Fargo Student Credit Card.

16. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I pout aside $15-20 a month. Works for me.

17. benboy12 macrumors regular

SquareTrade often has discount codes for 20% off their plans

I am in the same boat. I think I want to buy extra protection because I am getting a more expensive phone this time around and Apple doesn't want to cover water damage (even though you are supposed to be able to submerge in up to 1 meter of water for 30 mins).

The carrier insurance seems too pricey. I like that AppleCare+ has the screen replacement for $29.00. However, they only have a two year option (I am interested in a 1 year plan because I may jump to the 8 next year) and you can only have your phone serviced twice. I don't have a local Apple Store, but I believe Best Buy's Geek Squad will service it for you.

I was looking at SquareTrade because they have a one year option and because of the 20% off discount codes you can usually find. I like the fact that you can get it serviced as many times as you want up to the value of the phone. I thought I read that you could get it serviced at somewhere like Best Buy and they would reimburse you, too. However, the standard deductible is $99 regardless of what you are having fixed. Plus, I wonder how challenging it would be to get reimbursed for repairs. Also, I wonder if 2 repairs would bring you up to the value of the phone anyway.

18. benboy12 macrumors regular

I just received an email from SquareTrade that they would be sending out coupons for $30 iPhone plans on 09/16.

19. Chargr macrumors regular

Chargr

Just pay your phone bill using a wells fargo credit card and the cover phone warranty up to 3 lines.

When ever you need your phone replaced or repaired, you can go anywhere to have it done (Ex. Apple). Send Wells Fargo the receipt and they will refund you the charges. All you do is pay $25 anytime you need a replacement.

20. The Lions Den macrumors regular

The Lions Den

Interesting, I read up on it a little bit last night.

You think it matters that I am on prepaid? (T-mobile prepaid to be exact).

21. Chargr macrumors regular

Chargr

I am not sure, I dont think it should.

22. darknyt macrumors 6502a

Unless your phone costs more than $600. IOW, you're out of pocket $75 with the cheapest iPhone 7.

$600 per occurrence, $1200 limit within 12 months. Not a bad deal for cheap iPhones. Not gunna do it for us $969 rollers.

https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-cards/features/cell-phone-protection/

23. Chargr macrumors regular

Chargr

They never asked me for what MODEL I had. I just told them my screen cracked, I showed them my statements of me paying my bill and they covered it.

Maybe if it your phone ever gets stolen/lost it can be risky. But for replacement or anything else broken, you are 100% covered.

24. JSB1540 macrumors 6502