Best and worst things about Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by tkiss, Jun 11, 2008.

1. tkiss macrumors regular

I am going to buy a Macbook soon, probably after the update, and I was wondering what you think is the best feature(s) and worst feature(s) is of a :apple: Macbook.

2. ashjamben macrumors 6502a

the plastic cracks!

and not just the palmrests, my macbook has a couple of hairline cracks which look like they are caused by the heat. the apple store explained its just the 'lacquer' covering the plastic cracking and nothing they can do.

apart from that everythings pretty sweet. sometimes the fans go abit crazy on flash heavy sites, but i'm not sure if thats also a safari and/or other software issue

3. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

After What update? My thought is there will always be an update. If you need a laptop, buy it and enjoy.

I had the Blackbook and hated the greasy, fingerprint look it always had. I was constantly wiping it down, just so it wouldn't drive me nuts.

4. tkiss thread starter macrumors regular

The update with the Montevina chip set and aluminum casing. Anyways, I'm still about $900 short.

5. farmerku macrumors regular

farmerku

I just recently purchased a Black Macbook and I can say that the advantages heavily out weigh the disadvantages. I bought the Black because I didn't not want to deal with the white surface that I knew would get dirty over a period of time. Though as a previous poster stated the black is a magnet for oily and greasy fingers and it does drive me nuts... but thats my problem :) I just picked up a box of travel electronic wipes and I giver a wipe down whenever I'm feeling anal. And I contemplated waiting for the update... just buy the thing now its awesome.

6. fewture macrumors regular

Screen size and no graphics card.

These are obvious but I didn't really realise how important they would be until I got the Macbook (i have black penryn model).

I think the screen size is main issue for me. But otherwise it is so powerful I am amazed. I can run Ubunu, WinXP, and like 10 other programs (or more) in MacOSX and it feels normal (I do have 4gb)

7. tkiss thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, no one else has really brought screen size up. I saw one a few weeks ago when i was looking at what level to choose(low end, Medium, high end), and i was amazed at how small the screen was. It doesn't really bother me though. I actually like the screen small over some giant one.

8. The Menacer macrumors member

How are we supposed to tell you what the best features are of a laptop that hasn't even been released?

9. tkiss thread starter macrumors regular

No, I mean of the current models. Sorry I didn't really clarify that.

10. The Menacer macrumors member

No problem, just making sure! :D

I like the MacBooks (and will be purchasing one this summer, actually) because they are a portable iMac. They are just about as powerful, and they are actually cheaper for most of the configurations. The battery life is pretty good, and it is lightweight for a laptop of its size. I think the MacBook is the most solid (performance and construction-wise) notebook that Apple has ever produced. Especially the current models.

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

The glossy screen and lack of a video card. Other than that, they're awesome!

12. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

13. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

I hear that! Dropped mine it at my local Apple store to have the 'palm rests' fixed (pesky magnets), at least they'll do it for nothing....I've just gotta live one week without it now!

Best thing about it....as soon as I get it out my bag someone always strikes up a conversation with me about it! I love meeting strangers....I've met some real characters through my MacBook!

*lights candle for MacBook*

I hope it survives the surgery!

14. The Menacer macrumors member

I don't get why people complain so much about the TN panels. Most of the LCDs on the market today are TN panels, and everyone except Apple fans seem to get by...

15. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

I don't really know of much besides just normal computer issues, like the fact that even though it is a Macintosh computer, it still has little bouts of app crashing and stuff. Not nearly as bad as Windows, and the good part is that the whole computer doesn't become useless when an app crashes. Overall, the system stability is amazing, and it's been the best laptop I've ever owned. I haven't had any case crashing issues, and in terms of fan, it's the quietest laptop I've ever owned, and the quietest of what I've heard from other people in the school.

16. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Coming from an original MBP:

Best
    • price
    • hard drive accessibility
    • heat (or lack thereof)

Worst
    • No backlit keyboard

17. LowMach macrumors member

best: size, speed
    worst: viewing angle, sharp edges where my arms rest

color means nothing to me, but money well speant does so i opted for a white one with the extended warranty. with that said if they were the same price then mine would be black with finger prints tyvm.

18. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I am very happy with my my BlackBook.

Only annoyance is the fingerprints but even then, I don't go wiping it off very often.

Screen is almost perfect. It's not as bright as my MacBook Pro but the fact that it is a glossy display makes the colors and clarity stand out. Sometimes I prefer to use my MacBook over my MacBook Pro, yes the display is extremely nice on the MacBook.

It did take me a few weeks to get used to the keyboard on my black Macbook because, well, it was so black. The keys were kind of hard to read in low light because of all that black. I did buy the Apple wireless keyboard to go along with it and that helps quite a bit and the wireless keyboard is identical to the MacBook keyboard.

19. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

20. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

upgrade

I will be upgrading from my 12" powerbook here in the next few months.

Questions:

Do the fans run often? Mine do on flash heavy sites and sometimes when it's on my lap, but it's not too terrible.

I get about four hours of battery life with everything turned on. Macbook gets...?

I love my matte screen. How much (if at all) will i hate the glossy?

21. Vster macrumors 6502

No backlit keyboard, and integrated graphics. If it had dedicated graphics I'd steal my wife's MB :eek:

22. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Sounds like the PowerBook and the MacBook run about the same. My fans will kick on during flash heavy sites as well, all my Macs do. It's normal.

Not sure about battery life, I have not run mine on battery yet, I rarely do.

Gloss screen isn't as bad as it seems it would. I rarely find that it shows reflections and often times I sit on the couch with a lamp behind me.

23. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

Well you have to understand that I've been using Apple computers for something like ten years, and these TN panels are by far the worst screens I've had to use. That's all.

24. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

i hate how people complain bout the white surface. Your gonna eventually clean even if you have black. Probably clean more actually with black. IF your macbook actually does start getting dirty, just get liek a mr. clean eraser and wipe it down thats it!

25. mavfan11 macrumors member

bad

my experience has gone from very good to bad pretty quick.

I've never been one to buy extended warranties. I've owned 3 Dells, and a Lenovo (all laptops) and two Dell and one Compaq desktop over the past 10-12 years and never had a problem with any of them other than a vertical line issue on the screen of a dell 9300 I purchased 3 years ago and Dell replaced the screen for w/o charge even though I was a full year past the warranty expiration (I read that some Macbook Pro owners with the 1900x1200 17" screen like my Dell's also had this problem but Apple only fixed it for those with Applecare.

In the eight weeks since my 1 yr Apple warranty expired on the Macbook I purchased in April 2007 my disc player has died and my battery has burned out. I've tried many of the solutions to reset the batter that I've found online but the battery symbol just has an X inside it on the toolbar, it dies seconds after I disconnect the battery, and the coconut app says it's charge is something crazy like ten times what it's supposed to hold. I can't say I won't ever buy another Apple computer but just judging by what's gone on in my own personal experience it's the worst in terms of hardware failures.