Best Apple Store in NYC to Get in Line...?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MatthewStorm, Mar 18, 2011.

1. MatthewStorm macrumors 6502a

MatthewStorm

I can't believe I am contemplating getting in line but I do need to pick this up ASAP for work reasons. The 5th Ave. store is the worst place to go because it's just black market central. Is there anyone here who has a good idea on which store to line up in? I was thinking about the Meat Packing store at 3:30am?

Thanks.

2. SiMBa37 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

3:30? Understand that there will be Chinese lined up starting at 10 PM. you'd be better off at target or walmart.

3. ssb333 macrumors member

I'd say SoHo store. 5th Ave is no no.

4. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

From other threads in this exact forum, you are looking at a 3-4 day wait in line.

Good luck.

5. zinka macrumors regular

Not gonna happen. If you really need it for work, get your employer to pay the price that a Craigslist scalper is asking. Or rent a car and go somewhere far from NYC, but even that requires getting lucky.

6. GCY macrumors regular

Why SoHo? Its right by Chinatown. That store is probably second worst after 5th ave.

7. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

You're better off heading to one of the Long Island stores to be honest. You're not going to have much luck out in the city.

8. biomathdude macrumors member

Actually, you'll be better off either:

1. Paying the inflated price on ebay or craigslist since it's an emergency, OR

2. Fly to China and rob the factory

Happy Trails!

9. SiMBa37 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Maybe eastern LI, but I live in Nassau. The Chinese started hitting our stores by Thursday. No stopping them now.

10. GCY macrumors regular

Do the Chinese hit CT? Somewhere like Stamford might be a good option. Only like a 30 min. drive from the city.

11. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

There's still one in Suffolk! Can anyone report from there?

12. kk405 macrumors newbie

I was at the Meatpacking store today to get a case for my iPad 2, and casually asked the Apple salesperson about the line on Friday, and he said it was a mess and a total zoo. Forget the Fifth Ave. and Soho Stores...

if you are going that early and are willing to stand until 9AM, your best bet is in NJ, LI or CT...30 min drive, but if you show up before 5ish, you will be one of the first 5 people inline, with no 'mafia-oriented scalpers' in sight. GL

13. MatthewStorm thread starter macrumors 6502a

MatthewStorm

I'm contemplating Rosevelt Field or Short Hills. But they get far less supply than the NYC stores do....

14. Cha macrumors regular

Short Hills' amount is low each time a new shipment comes in. So your chances will be slim there.

15. JHP2011 macrumors newbie

The Asians have taken over Roosevelt Field. Yesterday morning there was an army of Asians and their children with the ring leader doling out fist fulls of cash. I spoke to some of the store employees and they are frustrated about the situation but there is nothing they can do. When a 4 year old asian child is in line and the only word they can speak is "IPAD" and they have a fist full of cash, they have no choice but to sell to them.

16. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I had no idea the situation was that bad. And if you think about it, there's no way Apple can come up with a policy to stop this kind of activity.

17. MrMac'n'Cheese macrumors 6502a

MrMac'n'Cheese

As incredibly racist as your comment sounds, its just as funny, can't help ROTFL ahahah.

18. joesegh macrumors 6502

Yeah Soho gets bad by like 8 p.m. the night before haha.

19. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

All this nyc asian scalper talk makes me feel better about my lebanese scalper encounter in nh on launch day lol. good luck guys. you need it.

20. mcdj, Mar 18, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2011

mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

What's even remotely racist about that post, let alone "incredibly"??? Do you even know what racist means? PC becomes ridiculous when you can't even describe someone with a continental location. What's next...we have to call everyone an earth human?

21. kvizzel macrumors 6502a

You mean IPAD 2!!!!

:D

22. jb007clone macrumors 6502

jb007clone

Just a question: What work reasons would require you to acquire an iPad 2 ASAP?

Are you doing a story on it or something? Couldn't you just use another device?

23. MatthewStorm thread starter macrumors 6502a

MatthewStorm

Soho hasn't gotten a shipment in days

I'm number 72 in line on 14th St.. 69 people in front of me are all Asian. I got the first iPad via UPS on the first day so I missed the lines. Wondering if it was like this the first time. Yesterday they only had 50 units. No AT&T models at all.

I feel like a homeless person.

24. byeehaaw macrumors 6502

25. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Yes, people camping out to buy iPads are just like the homeless. :rolleyes: