Best backpack for MBP? and...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Edwardz, Jul 15, 2007.

1. Edwardz macrumors regular

Hey!

What kind of backpacks do you guys use for your MBP? I have a 2.4 17', and I really would like a backpack. I looked at www.booqbags.com, and they're packs are pretty sweet; although, they are a bit expensive. Does anyone have one and would like to give me some reviews on it?

Also...

Has anyone tried css on the 2.4 SR MBP yet? I just want to know how much FPS this baby will get...

Thanks!

2. drj434343 macrumors member

drj434343

I just ordered an Ogio Metroid bag that looks fantastic. I got it from a site called ebags (www.ebags.com). They have a great selection of a ton of different brands, and also provide lots of pictures for each bag to help give you an idea of what you're getting. I'd recommend giving them a visit.

3. ToXicWaSTe macrumors member

ToXicWaSTe

4. JHacker macrumors 6502

JHacker

I use an inCase sleeve for my MBP and a North Face bookbag. I love the combination because it lets me use whatever bag I want while protecting my computer.

Also, no one knows you have a computer in there...if you go with a known computer bag brad, it's pretty obvious.

5. PimpDaddy macrumors 6502

6. russell.h macrumors regular

The Swiss Gear SYNERGY is on sale for $52.99 on Amazon.com with free shipping (its $90 + free shipping from Apple.com). But its too small for a 17" I think. I'll post somewhere when mine gets here.

7. briananderson macrumors member

I use this one for my 17" mbp.

Rip-Stop Backpack
    http://goincase.com/products/detail/ripstop-backpack-cl55018

You can buy it at most Apple stores. Its $99, clean, the quality is good and I can fit quite a bit of stuff in there. The strap that is supposed to wrap around you (for more stability, I think) is kind of awkward, but I tuck them out of the way.

8. Hoops724 macrumors newbie

This is the one...Spire

After an exhaustive search and many trips to stores, I am sure glad I ordered this one.

http://www.spireusa.com/products/TQ7.htm

It is all in how the sleeve works... suspends the mac to protect from the occasional drop. Pockets are well thought out and it carrys well.

The construction and materials are top notch..

Pricey...absolutely...so is the Mac Book Pro

Remember the sleeve!!!

9. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

looks nice .. and it fits the 17inch mbp unibody no problem ?

10. kimnkk macrumors member

kimnkk

My vote goes to crumpler. I have a few of their bags and they are definitely durable.

I use the King Single when i go without my photography gear:
    http://www.crumplerbags.com/Lite/English/Products/King-Single-KS05A.html

And the Karachi Outpost, which can be converted to a normal bag, when i need to photography gear:
    http://www.crumplerbags.com/Lite/English/Products/Karachi-Outpost-KO03A.html

[​IMG]

I've have a few others, some a few years old, and they look as new as they did a few years ago. No rips or broken stitches - everything is as perfect as it was brand new.

11. PDE macrumors 68020

I have a booq boa XM and I cannot recommend it at all:

- It's very expensive yet has a relatively stingy warranty - look up the terms and you'll see what I mean. A lot of good backpack manufacturers have much better terms.

- the workmanship has been very disappointing. Seams have come undone, materials have frayed and plastic reinforcement has pushed through the in places. I've had many backpacks and never before felt that I didn't think the backpack would last. This is the first time.

- Booq support in the U.S. is good, elsewhere it's abysmal.

- it's not a comfortable backpack at all. The back support is very wide, flat and stiff and doesn't in any way conform to the human body.

There are lots of nice things about the pack, but the negatives cancel them out and ultimately, in my opinion, make it not worthwhile. I'd look elsewhere, but of course they may have improved quality since the last generation of backpacks....

12. MBAir macrumors member

I bought 2 booq bags for the 17" MBP. The best one is the Boa M. It's compact, fits the 17" (Mac only), and the quality is top notch.

The other one I have is the black Taipan, I kinda like it. The Boa is much better though.

I'd recommend Booq.

PS. did I mention that I don't have the 17" yet, just preparing for it :D Waiting until Apple sorts out what they messed up in the MBP. I'm ordering one pretty soon.

13. PDE macrumors 68020

That explains why you still like the booq backpacks....you haven't used them yet! Just kidding, hope your experience is better than mine.

14. The General macrumors 601

15. lozanoj83 macrumors 6502a

lozanoj83

16. The General macrumors 601

It does, it fits perfectly. I am absolutely loving this backpack. :)

17. Disavowed macrumors regular

Disavowed

Do you think a 15" MBP "in a sleeve" will fit. I tried on that backpack the other day while visiting the Apple store and I LOVED the way it felt, espcially how it wasn't too wide and sorta tall, which I liked. I mention the sleeve because even though that part of the bag is padded and soft, I, too, am worried about the zipper scratching my MBP that is on the way.

Thanks...

18. nizmoz macrumors 65816

19. coolbreeze macrumors 65832

I was considering a Booq but after reading numerous reports of shoddy straps, seams coming undone, and a lousy 5-yr warranty, I ended up getting this for my 17" uMBP. It's incredible. BTW, I also carry a 15" Lenovo Thinkpad. This pack handles all plus accessories with ease. Oh, and a lifetime warranty to boot:

Brenthaven backpack

Booq has a pretty website and great photos, but I feel their products demand a premium price for a below average quality product. Shame, really. I wanted to get one but got scared off.

Brenthaven is rock solid (my 2nd bag from them)

20. spoofboy macrumors newbie

You really made a good choice in staying away from Booq. I loved my Booq bag a lot until the pocket seams started coming undone a little after a year of ownership.

Wrote in to customer service - they confirmed it was a warranty issue but would not fix it. They were courteous, but stood firm in agreeing only to credit me 50% towards a new bag, per their policy. For a bag that costs nearly $200, their "5 year warranty" is a total sham. They only cover you 100% for the first 6 months. I definitely won't be buying another of their bags.

21. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I find any Victorinox bag works very well. The Victorinox Park is the perfect size and function for just over $100.

22. Zman5225 macrumors 6502a

I got a booq sleeve and bag combo for my last gen MBP and while it worked good as a combo, I had very similar problems with seams coming undone. My next bag is going to be a crumpler. That post that someone linked up near the top has some good choices in it.

Booq = bleh.

23. jonessodarally macrumors member

I've had the incase one for about 2 months now. Love it to death.

there's a lot of extra straps all over it, but I've found ways to tuck them away, and they've all come in handy once or twice.

there's a TON of space in there. I can easily fit my 15" uMBP (with speck cover... its a thick, heavy hunk of plastic but it keeps the scratches away), canon rebel XS (stock lens, detached in bag), headphones (vic firth isolating drum headphones... each ear the size of an average fist), and (this is the real kicker) my Presonus FirePod, and still have room to shove whatever cables, adapters, etc. in without it looking bulgy.

I've been blown away by how much it holds.

On the flipside, I've also been impressed with how well it sits on my back when its only got the computer in there. It doesnt feel like it's going to float away, but it also doesnt weigh me down at all. Very impressive weight distribution.

My friend got one of the booq single-strap bags around the same time. He likes it and hasnt had any trouble with it yet, but i certainly have an advantage on space.:rolleyes:

24. blazezaku macrumors newbie

im using shark backpack XL and it suits my 17' perfectly