Best Backpacks/Carrying Cases for MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sbrocket, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Sbrocket macrumors 65816

Sbrocket

Ok, so with the new MBP very likely coming out in just a few short hours and the forums full of people, I figure this is a good time to ask. I'm heading off to college next year and need a good, sturdy backpack or similar case to carry my soon-to-be-purchased MBP. I'm looking for something that'll keep the computer out of harms way, but still has enough room to carry books and such so I'm not carrying tons of bags around campus. Any type of bag or case will do as long as it has plenty of room for storage.

Any recommendations?

2. BlizZ10 macrumors member

my g/f recently got me this backpack: http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=9B2D2FE&nplm=TF764LL/A

i dont have my laptop for college yet but ive heard many great reviews on this backpack and commentors on the apple site gave it 5 stars rating

it has a lot of pockets for many things and is pretty well cushioned

seems very sturdy to me

im just throwing this one out there.... ur decision depends on what u like best (messenger bags, backpacks, rollers, all in one :) )

Good luck with ur decision!!!

3. aspro macrumors 6502

I am currently using the STM Medium Evolution backpack, it works great.

Link.

4. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

I've been looking at that, it looks quite nice.

What's the storage space actually like though,as I generally end up carting round a lot of wires, cables, and what-not and my laptop bag ends up bulging.

5. Emrtr4 macrumors regular

Waterfield Bags by Sanfrancisco design (google waterfield laptop bags) by far the best quality stuff you can buy for the money, stylish, and it will not get damaged.

6. Sbrocket thread starter macrumors 65816

Sbrocket

Ooh, I really like their Cargo bag. I can't tell from a simple photo on the site, do you have one and does it have enough room for books even with the laptop and some accessories?

7. O. Frabjous-Dey macrumors regular

I've got an Oakley messenger bag now, and it's killing me on longer walks. Good bag, but I need a backpack to balance the load between both my shoulders.

But all of the backpacks that people seem to be selling are giant monsters. Can anyone recommend a decent backpack with a thin profile? I won't be carrying around much more than my Mac.

8. Sbrocket thread starter macrumors 65816

Sbrocket

Have you tried wrapping the shoulder strap over behind your neck? It might help balance some of the load, I know a few people with messenger-style bags that do this.

:apple:

9. showtime macrumors 6502

I'm using this zeroshock sleeve: http://shinza.com/product_info.php?cPath=5_10_15&products_id=75

It protects my macbook really well and has a slim profile. If I need to bring it onto campus anywhere I just stick it in a regular backpack or messenger bag. I feel like a sleeve offers more flexiblity than a laptop backpack/bag.

10. sk3pt1c macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

i think the best you can get as far as a backpack is concerned is an axio swift.
    hard plastic, super comfortable and looks awesome too!

http://www.axio-usa.com/

i have the carbon finish one, have used it for a little over a year now with my 17" powerbook, works like a charm and it feels really safe

11. Igantius macrumors 65816

Crumpler bags/backpacks are worth consideration - pricey but built to last and love.

12. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

The incase sling is nice and slim. I haven't even carried it across my back - just used it on my right shoulder - i ran thru an airport with it lke that and never lost it and or had it slip.

There are good pictures of it here (be sure to click everything)
    http://www.koyono.com/Incase-Sling-Pack-Laptop-Case-p/cl55025.htm
    http://www.koyono.com/Incase-Sling-Pack-Laptop-Case-Specs-s/45.htm

I"ve been really pleased with it - the size is perfect for me.

Tracey

13. nownot macrumors regular

this is what i ended up doing for my macbook (dont laugh) i bought a cheap over the shoulder laptop bag at target that was on sale for $15 it was made for 15.4 inch. i went to walmart bought some stuffing. cut slits on the inside of the bag put extra stuffing for padding on the sides of the bag, sewed the bag up. then i got these stryafoam inserts and sewed them onto the side and bottom. well i didnt sew my g/f did. but all in all it works like a charm and has more padding than a 70-80 dollar bag. :) :)

14. itsallinurhead macrumors 6502

itsallinurhead

I am using the Brenthaven Fusion bag right now. Has tons of room and is comfortable to carry.

15. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

16. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

17. Hls811 macrumors 6502a

Hls811

Its pricey, but I wholeheartedly recommend this:
    Booq Python XM

Its much bigger than it looks, plenty of storage room!

18. coledog macrumors 6502a

coledog

I use a Swiss Army backpack from Staples.
    TONS of room...good padding...i love it! For about $50 too...not sure if they still sell this specific model...but who knows.

Attached Files:

19. TilJ macrumors member

Me too. I just ordered an Empire Builder and an Archetype (which I'm using instead of a Brain Cell). I think it's he best of both worlds: A really nice super slim case for when I don't need to carry all my stuff, and then a full size bag that I can dump the case into for when I want to carry most of my living room with me.

I emailed them to ask if that combination would work, and I have to say that their response times and friendliness is amazing.

20. Masher500 macrumors member

Masher500

i have a dakin backpack, that thing it is the best, plus it has life time warranty

21. Bradman67 macrumors newbie

Sleeve is the way to go

I agree with showtime. I recommend a really good sleeve, and then you can drop it into any decent bag you find, and it doesn't have to be a "laptop" bag.

22. nutts macrumors member

I use a Crumpler Sticky Date messenger bag for my 17" MBP. It has TONS of room, and can be used with or without the padded laptop sleeve.

Here it is (with a limited-edition design I love!)

[​IMG]

And here's a photo of it swallowing a Wii box whole, with room to spare ;)

[​IMG]

It's briliant, and big enough for weekends away too, not to mention perfect for airplane carry-on :D

23. wako macrumors 65816

24. Zadillo macrumors 65832

I use a Tom Bihn Smart Alec:

http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/100/TB0103

with a Vertical Brain Cell:

http://www.tombihn.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=001&Product_Code=TB0390

And I absolutely love them. Amazing quality, and the protection from the brain cell is extraordinary...just incredibly solid protection from all sides, and gives me a lot of piece of mind with the MBP inside it. The Brain Cell fits right into the Smart Alec and has a really cool clip system to clip it into place, but it can also be removed to use by itself.

-Zadillo

25. ShStylo macrumors member

Ordered This!

Ordered this backpack with my new SR MBP. Was supposed to be shipped by yesterday but it got delayed until

Ships by: Jun 19 - Jun 22
    Delivers by: Jun 21 - Jun 29

anyone else ordered one on release date and had their's delayed as well? :(