Best bet for replacing a water-damaged iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by grantrobarts, Mar 16, 2008.

1. grantrobarts macrumors member

Long story short, I dropped my phone in a pitcher of beer a couple of days ago and it is now shot. The moisture indicator is pink and the thing does not turn on at all.

Do I have to buy a brand new one? Can I bring it in to an Apple store and have them replace it for a smaller fee than the price of an entirely phone?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

2. TK B$K macrumors 6502

wooo who knows whats gonna happen this is a hard one.

3. otep1760 macrumors regular

otep1760

i just dont understand how people can drop their phones in toilets and beer pitchers. maybe its just me?

4. babalou macrumors newbie

LMFAO!

5. grantrobarts thread starter macrumors member

It was such a freak accident. I use one of those piece of **** rubber covers with the headphone holders on the back of it. It gets stuck in my pocket all the time, and a few days ago I got pissed and just ripped it out of my pocket, lost grip of it and flipped into a pitcher of beer that was on the table right in front of me (I was standing up).

6. TK B$K macrumors 6502

damn now i would have payed to see that happend, i bet i can imagine to look on your face too like "no fricken way"

7. Sonicjay macrumors 6502a

Sonicjay

Sorry, but that's pretty funny. My wife cannot go near an open container of liquid without this happening.. She lost her first pink Razr into the bathtub while giving one of our kids a bath; she lost her second pink Razr into the dog's water bowl for God's sake.. She's on Razr #3, and now she wants "an email phone", lol.. I though briefly about giving her my 8GB as an excuse to get a 16GB, but I think if she drowned it, I'd have to choke her..

8. TK B$K macrumors 6502

^ yeah if shes got that good of luck then for sure not the iphone!

9. otep1760 macrumors regular

otep1760

wow, i bet youll think twice about getting angry with your phone while theres an open container of liquid near.

10. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

You can white-out the indicator...then try Apple...lol, just a thought.

11. blaster_boy macrumors 6502

blaster_boy

I'm afraid you're out of luck

Seems that water damage is not covered by Apple's warranty...

You can always try sticking it in a bowl of uncooked rice, as mentioned in another link in the article linked above.

12. senorFunkyPants macrumors 6502

senorFunkyPants

Sell it on Ebay as liquid damaged and then go buy a new one...even if by some miracle you managed to get it going again liquid damaged phones have a habit of being unreliable.

13. NurseChris macrumors member

14. kbunch macrumors member

kbunch

I bought an iPhone for my help desk person here at work. She had it 2 weeks before she decided to drop it in the toilet. I went to the Apple Store. They checked the water damage mark and said no go. Your options are to pay $199 to replace it or they also gave me a card of a company that will fix only the components that are damaged and that might be less then $199.

Another option. Did you buy it with a credit card? Most credit cards carry some kind of insurance for new purchases. I filled out a claim for my work credit card and should see a check here in the next few weeks for the iToileted iBrick.

15. grantrobarts thread starter macrumors member

I did buy it with a credit card... I will call them I guess, and see if I can get any help through them.

Thanks for the replies.