Best book you've read lately

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jng, Apr 22, 2007.

1. jng macrumors 65816

jng

It's time for finals, which is when I usually go on my reading binge. I'm having trouble finding something good though. So I'm sorta looking for recommendations.

Just out of curiosity, what's the last good book you've read? For me, it would have to be The Time Traveler's Wife. It was just unique original story-telling and superb.

2. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

Eldest, the second book in the inheritence trilogy

looking forward to the third and final book ;)

3. johnee macrumors 6502a

johnee

Love Medicine by Louis Erdrich. I also read Slaughterhouse 5, and finished the book on the day Kurt Vonnegut died :(

I JUST got done reading The Magic Lantern for school, yuck, stay away from this thing unless you want to know the gory details of the fall of communism in Eastern Europe in 1989.

4. ebouwman macrumors 6502a

the last book i read was George Orwells 1984, of course a good book, you probably have already read this in high school though

5. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Twilight. Very creepy/intrigueing book. Can't find the sequel right now, but I know the third book is going to be released in august

6. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

My high school has an alumni newsletter quartlery or something ... well a guy from my high school that I didn't know but his book is a fascinating look at atheism. I'm about 3/4 of the way through ... and its good. I hope this wasn't limited to fiction ...

I Sold My Soul on Ebay by Hemant Mehta

7. t1937r0 macrumors 6502a

Pitch Black

Light reading on a trip. Interesting, but it seemed more like a long short story than a novel. Fortunately I borrowed it
    from a library, so I didn't actually pay the >$10 it would have cost at the airport.

8. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Only about 1/3 of the way through it but "Juneteenth"

9. jng thread starter macrumors 65816

jng

Twilight does look creepy. I don't do creepy books well which makes no sense since I'm a huge X-Files fan, lol.

I've read 1984 a few times, not for school though.

I'm starting to read more of the classics that I've never read just because I find today's literature quite boring. I'm the type that wanders into a bookstore and just buys what's on the NYT best sellers list or 4 or 3 deals at borders. But that's failed lately. I swear, every book that's doing well is only doing so because of some plot tied to politics or controversy or some sad immigrant story (which I'm sick of) and many lack actual good story telling techniques and plain good writing. Anyone else feel the same?

That's why I loved the Time traveler's wife. The storytelling was amazing and not too confusing despite zipping through time.

Nonfiction is definitely included :) The last nonficiton I read, well sorta non-fiction (anecdotal memoir) is Günter Grass' Beim Häuten der Zwiebel. Amazing book actually, the man is a gifted storyteller. The English translation's out in June but he's one of those authors that I find get lost in translation.

10. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Out of Control by Kevin Kelly.

Out of Control is a summary of what we know about self-sustaining systems, both living ones such as a tropical wetland, or an artificial one, such as a computer simulation of our planet. The last chapter of the book, "The Nine Laws of God," is a distillation of the nine common principles that all life-like systems share.

11. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i finished World War Z lately and enjoyed it. interesting twist on the zombie story

12. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

13. tutubibi macrumors 6502a

tutubibi

14. macmama macrumors regular

macmama

Gorgeous book, that one! I've probably read it 6-7 times. I'm a little bit in love with Henry, I confess.

But the last great book I read was non-fiction: My Child Won't Eat by Dr. Carlos Gonzales. Amazing read for anyone whose little sprog is a reluctant eater.

15. Lone Deranger macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

16. Andrew D. macrumors 6502

Oh man, I haven't had time to read a book lately but I think Eldest was the last one I read. It was a good book and yes I cannot wait for the third and last installment. Cheers!

17. MultiM macrumors 6502

MultiM

Ysabel by Guy Gavriel Kay. Not one of his best but certainly fun and light. (which is WHY it's not one of his best)

18. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

You stole my book:eek: Excellent book actually!

19. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

yeah, i actually read Eldest for the second time about a month ago (i think). i'll probably read Eragon again after classes are over

20. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Anything by the Marquis de Sade or Jean Genet's The Balcony. :cool:

21. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

I just finished a book I didn't really understand -- Rethinking the Communicative Turn. I like reading things I don't understand because they open new ideas -- evoking rather than meaning, etc.

I'm now reading a new book I don't understand.

:)

22. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

I can recommend 'Ka' by Roberto Colasso, a masterwork on Indian mythology. Although I've been reading it for a few years I'm not finished yet.

I'm in that sort of mood where I have to post a short paragraph (as allowed under the fair use act).

Presence is just a special case in the category of absence. Presence is a hallucination protracted for a certain period. But this in no way diminishes our pain. Looking into the future, Siva could see certain presumptuous and ingenuous natives of the distant West, who would one day believe they were the only ones to suffer, sectarians of the irreversible. Seeing them, Siva felt sympathetic and, murmuring words they would never hear, addressed them as follows: "Whether the world be an hallucination or the mind be an hallucination, whether all return or all appear but once, the suffering is just the same. For he who suffers is part of the hallucination, of whatever kind that may be. What then is the difference? This: whether in the sufferer there is–or is not–he who watches him who suffers." More than that for the moment he would not say.

23. skinnylegs macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

Priests for the Third Millennium by Archbishop Timothy Dolan. This book *obviously* won't suit everyone's tastes but if you're Catholic, I highly recommed it.

24. markjewiss macrumors member

'Haunted' by Chuck Palahniuk, collection of short stories held together by an over riding story arc. Very good stuff.

M.