Best browser to use other than safari?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Shawzborne, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Shawzborne macrumors 6502a

Shawzborne

Hi Guys,

What browser reccomendations do you have for use with Mavericks other then safari? Are there any that support mavericks yet?

Thanks

Shawn

2. w0lf macrumors 65816

w0lf

What do you mean support Mavericks yet? None of the main browsers were ever not working on Mavericks.

As for what to use I suggest you just try all 3 big name browsers for a day or two and use what you like best. Every browser has its advantages and disadvantages but they're all very similar at this point in the game so something as simple as UI layout might be enough to swing you one way or the other.

Chrome
    Firefox
    Opera

3. iDuel macrumors 6502a

iDuel

Opera Next is something you should look into, they recently changed their browser rendering engine to the opensource WebKit, just like Safari.

4. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

5. illusionmist macrumors member

Actually Opera 15+ is built on Chromium, so it's Blink. And unless you have some issue with Google, Chrome is my second choice here. (Great performance and versatile extensions.)

6. msknowledge macrumors newbie

Why not to use Safari? I do like Chrome also... Its quite similiar to safari in style and use and its really fast, i think. But i have absolut no idea, if this will work wit OS X.

Best
    MSK

7. cammykool macrumors regular

ive never not used chrome ive never even opened safari on mavericks

8. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

Safari is the best browser on the Mac.

Just my opinion though.

9. coldjeanzzz macrumors 6502a

Probably Chrome but it's a far second imo

Safari is the fastest, best integrated, fluid, and best looking (again imo so I don't have some nut attacking me)

10. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

I'd have to agree about Safari. Apple sure puts a lot of time into it so you know it's important to them. (They tweak the crap out of it). Wish it had the Add-on feature of FireFox though. Many of Safari's extensions are pretty lame.

Tried most others and the difference was negligible so I just stick with the native app written by the same people that code the OS.

11. vanc macrumors 6502

On my Mac Mini running Mavericks, Chrome 28 blows Safari away in most graphics related benchmarks at here. http://ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/.

Yes, it's a MS IE test suite. But runs in compatible browsers as well. They even know which browsers the tests are running.

12. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

13. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Q
    Asking about the best browser is about as useful as asking about the best flavor of ice cream

14. collinmac macrumors member

everyone has their own preference. each brings something a little different to the table

i find myself switching between firefox and chrome every 6 months or so.

15. Shawzborne thread starter macrumors 6502a

Shawzborne

chrome is the best one I tried all the suggestions and chrome has been the most stable just so everyone knows. I never ever used to use chrome ever. Now I'm using it with mavericks almost zero energy usage and notification center support

16. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

How did you get 0 energy use? Chrome used to always be in my 'apps using excessive energy' area.

17. KScottMyers macrumors regular

The best browser, hands down, is the one you like best.

You'll get a vote for every browser made with that open ended question.

18. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

I find interesting that while using an upgrade path I could get chrome to work, with a clean install I can't use it.

19. HenryDJP macrumors 603

Some of you guys classify "best browser" in an odd way. I don't classify what's the best browser based on just stability or how fast it is, I need to USE it. Safari is made by Apple to use on Apple's operating system. That means all the gestures work perfectly, symmetry with the system, UI is inline with OS X and feature set is spot on and I like the animation such as the rubberband effect, it's inline with how my iPhone works. To step off my iPhone using Safari and jump on my Mac using Safari I don't feel like I'm totally switching systems especially when using the iCloud tabs. 3rd party browsers..."work" but they seem very much out of place on the Mac.

For example, there are times I need to use Firefox because when paying my Comcast bill online it doesn't seem to complete the transaction with Safari. Works perfectly in FF, but FF looks awful. It's always good to have a backup browser for certain needs but Safari is what was "made" for the Mac.

20. Kuwait macrumors member

Kuwait

Safari is the best browser on the Mac Mavericks and very fast browser

21. Shawzborne thread starter macrumors 6502a

Shawzborne

Ya well so just like safari on ios 7 which crashes every 10 minutes now. Also safari on Mavericks was running out at 99% at somepoints

this is why I created this thread

also im downloading this now http://www.opera.com/computer/next

22. HenryDJP macrumors 603

You have to understand something, you're running beta OS's so you have to expect a beta experience. Neither iOS 7 nor Mavericks is due until either September or later in the fall. You're looking for alternative browsers prematurely.

23. ls1dreams macrumors 6502

Chrome.

A lot of people will say Safari on here - but why? It's never been the standard browser for anything, and is probably one of the least tested major browser (other than Opera) when it comes to web site development.

If you're a web shop or company, you damn well make sure it works in Chrome, Firefox, and mostly IE8+, definitely 9+. Safari? Eh, as long as it mostly is functional it's fine.

Obviously not all places have that attitude, but I can say that most in my experience have.

Lastly, Chrome has the advantage that it can be used across multiple platforms, so you can keep your bookmarks and other information in sync.

Safari for PC? Umm.. I don't even know the state of this anymore. No one really does this. As far as I can see it was last updated in May 2012.

Chrome is fast, stable, and well tested.

Safari still freezes for me quite a bit with random beach balls that I can't explain, so I just don't bother.

24. clukas macrumors 6502a

clukas

This is the reason I use chrome. It syncs everything with zero effort. When you install chrome on a new pc/mac, it literally takes 3 - 5 seconds to sync all your settings across. Chrome is not as fast as it used to be in my opinion, and is starting to feel a little bloated, safari does feel faster.

If your exclusively using apple products, my choice would be safari.
    If you work cross platform (i.e. windows/ mac), chrome is the best choice in my opinion.