Best browser?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by himynameiscody, Nov 11, 2011.

1. himynameiscody macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

What makes safari or another one your preference.

2. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Atomic Browser is by far the best (for me)

- Ad block
    - Full screen mode
    - Semi transparent controls while in full screen mode
    - Action menu
    - Drop box integration
    - Can set it to whatever I want it to be seen as (safari, desktop, etc)
    - Can block images if I'm in a bad coverage area
    - Mobile compression
    - Multitouch gestures

3. himynameiscody thread starter macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

So different browsers have better speeds? Does Atomic make tab switching easier

4. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Oh yeah, you can set the multi-touch gestures (such as two finger swipe, or three finger touch, etc) to switch tabs for you.

There's a lite version you can try that has almost all of these features except the ad-block I believe...

5. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Safari because it's the most native browser you'll get on iOS. Loads fast, pinch to zoom isn't weird, not too much space is taken up by menus, etc.

That being said, I do very basic browsing on my phone so I'm happy with Safari. I guess some people need ad blocking, compression, etc on their mobile device.

I don't like Safari on my Mac though. Chrome ftw.

6. vaugha, Nov 11, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2011

vaugha macrumors regular

I've used atomic and loved its ad block feature but eventually went back to safari due to its occasional stuttering when loading long pages and such. Scrolling while loading is incomplete seems to create an intermediate hiccup in order to respond to a screen input. I will start reusing it if they fix that up. Otherwise a very good browser w/ loads of feature.

7. Zxxv macrumors 68040

Atomic stutters for me too. Makes it feel cheap. Apart from that it's a great browser. Why safari doesn't have full screen on the iPhone is just plain weird. Such a small screen truly needs it. Come on apple safari is great but please catch up.

8. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

With it's tiny screen the browser hardly matters. Safari runs the best since Apples crippled the others by limiting their implementations. For a smartphone Apples hardly focused on the Internet experience. It's more like a better iPod than anything.

The retina display is Apples bragging point, but frankly the spacious brilliant display on my SGS II blows Apple away. I'd sure like to have a proper sized display on my iPhone. If Apple goes to 4" that's better than nothing but still not much of an increase. Jobs must have had the "little man complex".

9. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Im curious, how does Apple cripple other browsers compared to Safari? What are they specifically keeping from them? Or is this just a hunch?

If he had "little man complex" then that would mean he would have needed a phone w/ a big screen (the way Android people do) in order to compensate for 'other' small areas ;)

10. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

For the most part vitzr is right but I Grazing browser because you can send a web page to your Mac with two taps. you have to install their small app on your Mac and when you send a web page to your Mac it opens automatically if your Mac is running.*

If its not running it saves it to a list which you can open when you do log in. It's very useful for pages that are not conducive to the small screen.*

11. Zxxv macrumors 68040

Scene size is fine for me. I dOnt want a bigger phone. Lighter would be nice for when I'm wearing shorts or track suit bottoms.

Just make full use of what's available.

12. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

I used dolpgin browser, but I got sick of the gestures, back to safari.

13. TL24 macrumors 6502a

TL24

Same here, Safari is the way to go. I've used Atomic and Dolphin HD but I keep going back to Safari.

The only time I need to use Atomic or Dolphin HD is when I need to be in full Desktop mode, otherwise Safari is still the best browser out there.

14. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Every post you make is negative towards Apple.

Weird isn't it.

15. SirStrumalot macrumors 6502

16. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

Atomic Browser is what I use on my iPhone and iPad.

17. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Apple does not allow Apps onto the marketplace that interpret or run their own code.

That rules out any web browser that is not just a front end for the WebKit that Safari uses (or something like Opera where everything is done by a server and then sent to the device).

Mozilla has expressed an interest in releasing Firefox for the iPhone/iPad but they aren't allowed to by Apple.

Given these restrictions, third party browsers are nothing but front ends to a crippled (yes, it's crippled - it's not allowed to run JavaScript code at the same speed as the Safari browser is due to Apple's "security" concerns) subset of WebKit.

That means you aren't really going to see any speed, rendering or feature improvements to the actual browser engine - only to the UI: e.g. how it arranges tabs.

With all the iOS browsers sharing the same rendering engine, there's really no point in installing a new one unless you want worse JavaScript performance and at best, minor UI improvements.

18. batting1000 macrumors 604

Safari is fine for me. Don't need all the other features the other browsers offer.

19. adamtheturtle macrumors member

Opera interprets code, it also has a feature that lets the server do the work.

20. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

I already covered that.

Opera interprets the code on the server, so that's how they get around the restrictions.

That's also very slow to do anything with JavaScript and simply prevents some types of user experience from working at all.

The only benefit is that you can save some time and data usage when sending/receiving pages. That's not a trade-off that I'd like to accept.

21. esploded macrumors regular

I personally use dolphin.
    I love the "Speed Dial" function, and it just looks so much better than atomic, and seems much smoother.

I wanted to like Atomic, and use it on certain occasions, but I didn't like the look and feel of it.

22. Muzzakus macrumors regular

Any news on 3rd party browsers - stuttering, popping and glitching being resolved?

They all used to be on par with safari. But since apple deemed the API responsible for smooth scrolling to be private, all browsers now feel cheep.

IPad is not as beautiful as it was.

23. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

It not faster per say. It appears to be faster because they compress the web page and say reduce the quality of the pictures since you are on a mobile screen the reduce quality and size is not a real issue. This means less data being used.

No it is crippled. Any other "browser" on iOS is just a front in UI. It is still using Apple's webkit engine to run it. So it is just mobile safari with a different front end on it. You can not get things like Mobile firefox or something like Android's Dolphin HD since those use their own engines. Apple would block it.

No Opera does not interpret code on the phone. Opera's server do and they send more or less a compress image file to your phone to display. No code is being run on the phone.
    This is how the opera browser works.