Best Buy and Target Deal is on again

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
The Stainless are better quality but heavier, so if you don't wear a watch that might bother you. The aluminum Space Gray looks good, is lighter weight, it looks better than the silver aluminum. I prefer the light weight of the aluminums.

macdragonfl

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale,Fl
You have it the other way around. You can put any bands on the Sport, but will need to content with a screen that's not impervious to scratches and a much less substantial watch body. You may not care, but many people consider watches to be jewelry and wear them as such.
Sapphire crystal can scratch as well. The glass screen is pretty durable. I also have fine watches, I like the lightweight feel of the aluminum body. The gold AW looks much more formal, especially with other bands than the sport.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Sapphire crystal can scratch as well. The glass screen is pretty durable. I also have fine watches, I like the lightweight feel of the aluminum body. The gold AW looks much more formal, especially with other bands than the sport.
Sure, but it takes something as hard as a diamond to scratch the sapphire crystal. The glass screen is a lot more susceptible especially considering that the watch doesn't normally sit protected inside your pocket and you're far more likely to scrape it compared to iPhone.

macdragonfl

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale,Fl
Sure, but it takes something as hard as a diamond to scratch the sapphire crystal. The glass screen is a lot more susceptible especially considering that the watch doesn't normally sit protected inside your pocket and you're far more likely to scrape it compared to iPhone.
I have scratched sapphire crystal on watches before and had them buffed after. It's not as tuff as the marketing that's been put out there. I do agree it is tuffer. It does shatter as well. But the glass Apple is using appears to be gorilla glass 3. And I've scraped a few times where I was sure it would have scratched and it has not. Maybe there is an additional process that is used.

Last edited:

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
The problem is there is a coating on top of the sapphire crystal. That is usually what gets scratched.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
The problem is there is a coating on top of the sapphire crystal. That is usually what gets scratched.
Yes, but these are microscratches that are usually visible only under certain lighting and/or angles. An actual scratch in the glass would stick out like a sore thumb and be visible from greater angles.

Some here have actually removed the oleophobic coating for this reason.

Reactions: mattopotamus

anthonymoody

macrumors 68020
Aug 8, 2002
Visit site
Where would you look for refurbs? I am in the UK but have a friend in the USA coming over here in a few weeks!!
There are eBay sellers who regularly sell refurbished models...look for the Buy It Now sellers who say they have a bunch available...could be anywhere from 10 - 100 and are usually major sellers.

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
Texas
I couldn't resist at $199 and got the Rose Gold 38mm for the girlfriend at Micro Center this morning. Even if an "S model" comes later this year it's not a big deal when you can get a new one now for that price.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68020
Aug 8, 2002
Visit site
I couldn't resist at $199 and got the Rose Gold 38mm for the girlfriend at Micro Center this morning. Even if an "S model" comes later this year it's not a big deal when you can get a new one now for that price.
My thoughts exactly. At $240 (what I paid for my 42mm, and wife's 38mm) I figured why not?

jonnysods

macrumors 603
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
Wait, so 42mm are $250? I couldn't find them for sale online at Micro Center...

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
Texas
Wait, so 42mm are $250? I couldn't find them for sale online at Micro Center...
Yes the Sport 38mm is on sale for $199.99 and the 42mm is $249.99, but available inventory varies by location. The only Micro Center close to me currently has only two different 38mm and three different 42mm models remaining in stock as of right now. There were several more choices available yesterday morning that have since sold out here.

MCAW.jpg

Last edited:

jonnysods

macrumors 603
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
Yes the Sport 38mm is on sale for $199.99 and the 42mm is $249.99, but available inventory varies by location. The only Micro Center close to me currently has only two different 38mm and three different 42mm models remaining in stock as of right now. There were several more choices available yesterday morning that have since sold out here.

View attachment 631083
You can't order online I take it? I'm in Naples FL right now on vacation (I live in Canada) and this is a sweet, sweet deal...

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
Texas
You can't order online I take it? I'm in Naples FL right now on vacation (I live in Canada) and this is a sweet, sweet deal...
I ordered the one that I got online but had to pick it up in store, they won't ship them. Some people have reported success with getting Best Buy or Target to price match, but YMMV on that it sounds like.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68020
Aug 8, 2002
Visit site
I ordered the one that I got online but had to pick it up in store, they won't ship them. Some people have reported success with getting Best Buy or Target to price match, but YMMV on that it sounds like.
It took a couple of phone calls before I was able to get them to do it. First guy said no to Microcenter outright. Second guy said yes but then tried to balk because they didn't have the exact color combo I purchased at BB in stock at the Microcenter nearest to me. They had several other combos in stock though, so he gave me the $50 refund.

jonnysods

macrumors 603
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again