Best Buy and Verizon Iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Pravius, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Pravius macrumors regular

Just wanted to give a heads up to anyone who is looking to buy the iphone from best buy. Looks like the phone costs $699.99 and they will not match Apple's price. I was pissed because I wasted a trip, I also did call customer service and they said there is nothing they can do because they have a contract with apple to sell it for that price.... just a heads up.

2. aaps59 macrumors regular

aaps59

699 for the buy out price... Thats for the phone without contract.

3. mightygitis macrumors 6502

mightygitis

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

If that is the higher gig option it is the same price as Apple with out a two-year contract.

4. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

Important question, is that for 16 or 32 gigs?

5. Pravius thread starter macrumors regular

Correct, sorry I should have included that I am currently in a contract and was going to pay full retail.

6. Pravius thread starter macrumors regular

Again sorry lol... this was for the 16gb model.

7. mightygitis macrumors 6502

mightygitis

Yeah, that is weird then especially since the Best Buy website lists that as the price for the 32 gig iPhone.

8. mightygitis macrumors 6502

mightygitis

They are charging more for the Verizon version? Man I hate Best Buy. Got an Apple store near you?

9. Pravius thread starter macrumors regular

Yea I do fortunately and I plan on going after work. Just sucks because I was going to take advantage of the 18 mth no interest financing that Best Buy is offering, will help until I find a buyer for my Droid X. I just cannot believe they will not match and are charging $100 more than Apple.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Wow, whats up with that?
    They didnt do that with the GSM iphone 4.
    Charge an additional $100 and verizon an extra $50?

11. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

and I though Verizon charging $50 more was crazy. Cant even think of a reason for them to charge so much more.

12. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

WTF that's out of line. Too bad Apple stores are so thinned out and hard to come by.

13. EvilEvil macrumors 6502

EvilEvil

Who the hell buys anything from Best Buy anymore anyway especially cellphones?

14. HDJulie macrumors demi-goddess

I do. As the OP said, you can get their no-interest financing, or in my case I was able to use $50 in reward zone certificates when I got the iPhone 4 last summer, & I got the reward zone points for the purchase. Of course, I was upgrading with a new 2-year contract so the phone price was the same.

15. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Reward zone points, reward zone mastercard, no mail-in rebates, etc. It's just like any other big box retailer, but with a few more perks.

16. Pravius thread starter macrumors regular

I work in the tech industry and most if not all of my parts come from either Newegg, Microcenter, etc. Best Buy has some amazing financing and it's long without interest... why wouldn't I buy from there. I can use someone else's money for 18 months, open up more capital for investing and whatever else I want. As long as you are smart about things you never have to be in debt, imagine that? :cool:

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

True but you would pay more for the same product on Bestbuy than on Newegg or amazon for example. Plus tax on top of that.
    The no interest part is good if you want to make monthly payments till you pay it off or if you have a low interest credit card or take advantage some deals they have like 0% for a year or other promotions many major cards offer you could probably save more getting things online.
    I wonder if you can get BB to match online prices for the same item in store?

18. Pravius thread starter macrumors regular

Oh in that case I would never pay more, I walked out and plan on going to the Apple Store. They have 12 months no interest financing. Best Buy will not match whatsoever prices on the Iphone I spoke with like 4 managers and the customer service line, they all had the same story about having a contract with Apple and not being able to sell them cheaper.

19. yourrealdad macrumors newbie

To the OP: Put your droid X on ebay. I had a month old one with a few extras and sold it in 12 hours for $300. Paid for my iphone. Could get more probably.

The way I got my iphone was to add a line on the family plan for 10 a month. Then I switched the iphone to my droid line keeping the data plan intact. I then hooked up an old razr to the iphone line dropping the data plan. So I pay 10 a month for an iphone. Cost to have an iphone $240 plus the taxes for it that the droid didn't cover.

P.S. 32G version.

Just saying if you are desperate

20. Pravius thread starter macrumors regular

This is great info. I am concerned however. On the line that you opened I assumed that was the "iphone line" didn't VZW make you put the data plan on that line, or did you have the data plan on it switch the phones on the lines and then cancel the data plan? This confuses me!

Thanks for the info, I have been trying to figure out a way to do this without having to sell my soul for Apple. :)

21. yourrealdad macrumors newbie

Yes I had to have a data plan, but since I hooked up the razr which doesn't do data it dropped it. I was told to do this by a very helpful verizon customer service agent.

Verizon should have no problems with this because they are actually making money off of it. They are going to get an extra 240 out of you. Apple wins cause they sell an iphone. If I couldn't have done this I would have kept the x cause I did like it very much and there are definately things I miss like SWYPE (where are you). We all win in the end

22. Pravius thread starter macrumors regular

Great info. Thank you. I am sure I will miss things on my X but I have been waiting for a VZW Iphone since it was announced on AT&T and now the day is finally here feels like it's been so long and I am fulfilling a multi year mission!

23. jt2ga65 macrumors regular

When my Mitsubishi TV bought the farm, Amazon has a sweet deal on the Sony TVs. Not wanting to wait a week for shipping, risking damage, and also use my RZ double points option, I went to Best Buy, who actually were able to beat the Amazon price. It took some creativeness on the part of the sales associate, and about 30 minutes to track it down, but he was more than willing to do the work. Of course, I had to ask for the discount. Most people don't realize that Best Buy will usually give you a discount if you ask. I got them to knock hundreds of dollars off other things I wanted to buy before by just offering to pay a certain price.

Of course, if they are contractually obligated to sell something at a certain price, like with the iPhone, there is going to be very little they can do. Apple isn't going to reduce the price in their store, and they woundn't want the competition.

-jt2

24. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nice.
    I guess you gotta work the sales guy and hopefully he's willing to do it.
    Do they usually match online deals or you gotta get lucky?